Trusty Honda

My mid-90s 2 hp. Honda fired up on the first pull today, after not being run in a couple of years. :o) But it's pumping no water out the pee hole (water-cooled exhaust). :o( And it's running a little rough. Exercise might blow the cobwebs out and smooth the running, but after blowing out the water passages and still not getting any flow it looks like I need a water pump. <sigh> I changed the impeller a dozen years ago, so I suppose it's about time. <g> I may go whole hog and get a new carburettor too, if they aren't too dear. It deserves one after all these years of good service.

But, unless there's a water pump available around here I'll probably be doing the messabout with electric auxiliary on Pearl, so pray for wind! <g>

When we all think alike, we don't need to think much at all. (Walt Whitman)

elaineginader

Will do John.

On Sun, May 15, 2022, 6:15 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
My mid-90s 2 hp. Honda fired up on the first pull today, after not being
run in a couple of years. :o) But it's pumping no water out the pee hole
(water-cooled exhaust). :o( And it's running a little rough. Exercise
might blow the cobwebs out and smooth the running, but after blowing out
the water passages and still not getting any flow it looks like I need a
water pump. <sigh> I changed the impeller a dozen years ago, so I
suppose it's about time. <g> I may go whole hog and get a new
carburettor too, if they aren't too dear. It deserves one after all
these years of good service.

But, unless there's a water pump available around here I'll probably be
doing the messabout with electric auxiliary on Pearl, so pray for wind! <g>

When we all think alike, we don't need to think much at all. (Walt Whitman)

Case Turner

I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be a spare water pump hanging out. Common part for those engines. Probably be one hanging off a few boats around the marina.

Case

On May 15, 2022, at 6:52 PM, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

[...]

The trouble is that Honda made lots and lots of different varieties of their 2 hp. motor, sometimes changing internal parts in the middle of a production year. I'd probably have to "borrow" a _bunch of_ motors before I found one with the right water pump. <sigh>

Besides, the new marina host has set up critter cams all over the marina to foil midnight boat supply visits. <g>

I ordered a new carburettor and impeller, but I've got another suspicion that might pan out to get Mr. Honda going in time for the messabout...

On 5/15/2022 8:14 PM, Dirt wrote:
I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be a spare water pump hanging out. Common part for those engines. Probably be one hanging off a few boats around the marina.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. (Mark Twain)

Edward Epifani

Yeah I had one. Great motor. But most likely impeller. Easy to toast it. ( the engine w/o cooling.)
No sign of my back ordered oars. I’m thinking I’m going to catch a couple days at Big Lagoon, Great wind forecast there. Then head up Friday, and see you all then.
Ed

On 5/15/2022 8:14 PM, Dirt wrote:
I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be a spare water pump hanging out. Common part for those engines. Probably be one hanging off a few boats around the marina.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. (Mark Twain)

Mark Neuhaus

Hi John,

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 7:26 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

The trouble is that Honda made lots and lots of different varieties of
their 2 hp. motor, sometimes changing internal parts in the middle of a
production year.

What did you mean when you said you have water cooled exhaust?  My Honda 2hp from around 2010 has no pee hole, at least that I've ever seen.

I'd probably have to "borrow" a _bunch of_ motors
before I found one with the right water pump. <sigh>

Wouldn't you need to "borrow" just ONE motor and use it as is?  You could even swap yours onto their boat, at least for the weekend. :-)

I ordered a new carburettor and impeller, but I've got another suspicion
that might pan out to get Mr. Honda going in time for the messabout...

I tested my Tohatsu 6hp in the back yard the other day and it appears to want to work okay.  But I was hoping to take Turtle out tomorrow for an hour or two on the Willamette with both motors along and make sure they both work.  I'd be happy to bring the Honda to Fern Ridge for you to use, providing you can lock it in your boat so the critter cams don't get activated.

I should have asked this before, but we are allowed to sleep aboard at the dock, yes?

 Mark

Sleeping aboard your boat is kosher at Richardson. be sure to get an overnight parking pass from Shelly.

I was being silly. <g> Honda made several models of their 2 horse (and more slight variations). Mine is from the mid '90s and has a water-cooled exhaust; most, if not all, more recent models don't.

I appreciate the offer of your little Honda for the weekend, Mark. I'll take you up on it. There may be some towing involved with getting the Dinghy Dash participants back to Orchard Pt., and if we go through the Jungle it'd be nice to have a dependable motor. I've got a cable and lock.

On 5/16/2022 8:54 AM, Mark N wrote:
Hi John,
On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 7:26 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@... <mailto:jkohnen@...>> wrote:
[...]
Catch-and-release, that's like running down pedestrians in your car and then, when they get up and limp away, saying -- Off you go! That's fine. I just wanted to see if I could hit you. (Ellen DeGeneres)

I took another look inside Mr. Honda. Yesterday I felt pulses of exhaust coming out of the pee hole, and that gave me a suspicion...

The "grommet, water pump" (#7 in the illustration in the link) somehow got pushed up "tube, water" (#4) while I was wrestling the lower unit into position, and wasn't engaging with the "holder, impeller cover" (#3). It might not be a tight enough fit in #3 anymore...

The no-water-out-the-pee-hole may have just been the old problem of a little wasp, or some other critter, who likes to stop up little holes with mud, and may have been cured by blowing out the passages. <shrug> Now I've got a healthy stream of pee. :o) (my doctor keeps asking me about that <g>)

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard/2hp/bf2am-sa-vin-baes-1200001-to-baes-1299999/extension-case

I'll see if I can find a substitute for the grommet, and I'll replace the impeller at my leisure. It's past it's expiration date, even if it is still pumping OK. I've been wanting to give Mr. Honda a new carb for a while, and now I can do it at my leisure also.

I still may want to borrow your Honda, Mark, if mine doesn't smooth out after some exercise.

A hypocrite is a person who -- but who isn't? (Don Marquis)

Mark Neuhaus

Hi John,

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 6:33 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

I still may want to borrow your Honda, Mark, if mine doesn't smooth out
after some exercise.

I took both motors out on the Willamette this morning for a run around Ross Island and down to the Hawthorne Bridge.  Used the Tohatsu for that run, and it behaved just fine, although it did not like running back to the dock against a full river current and outgoing tide.  Needless to say, the throttle was open significantly more for that return trip to Willamette Park. I believe I will go back to covering the black cowling with an old white t-shirt, perhaps soaking wet, to keep it from getting too hot in the sun.

After returning to the dock, we put the Honda on and headed upstream.  Wide open it hit 4 mph and was screaming.  Turned around, and still wide open, popped up over 7 mph before I let up.  It might have hit more, I can't say, I was watching all the debris in the water.  But it seemed quite happy to see service again.  :-)

So, John, if you want to use it, it's all yours. However, if the Tohatsu mis-behaves, I've got first dibs on your towrope. :-)

Mark

Case Turner

Mark, you do know that John’s tow rope involves skiing, right?

image0.jpeg

Sent from not here

On May 17, 2022, at 4:46 PM, Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Case,

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 4:38 PM Case Turner <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:

Mark, you do know that John’s tow rope involves skiing, right?

If he can do that with my Honda 2hp, I gotta see it.  :-)

Mark