Topics

Took awhile

elaineginader

Being stuck at home has its advantages. I took my Enterprise sailing/racing dinghy to the Toledo Boat Show last year and as some of you know I had my share of problems. One that has been on my mind was that I couldn't figure out how to keep the rubber down. I've been researching since to figure this dilemma as I would love to sail her on some future Coot messabouts. Today it all came to me and now it'll work correctly. I think I'll bring the Enterprise to the Halloween float just so I can test it out. Or if things work out I may take her to Fern Ridge. We'll see.

Elaine

The Yaquina River between Elk City and Toledo isn't a very good place for a sailboat. Bring your kayak. I hope you can manage to bring Larimar to Fern Ridge before the water is all gone. Bob L and I poked around with his boathook yesterday and discovered that the depths given below are a little pessimistic for the end of the Richardson ramp (but about 4" optimistic for the depth in my slip out on E Dock <sigh>). There's about a foot more water at the end of the Orchard Point ramp.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/FRidgeSlips

On 8/9/2020 4:25 PM, elaine wrote:
Being stuck at home has its advantages. I took my Enterprise sailing/racing dinghy to the Toledo Boat Show last year and as some of you know I had my share of problems. One that has been on my mind was that I couldn't figure out how to keep the rubber down. I've been researching since to figure this dilemma as I would love to sail her on some future Coot messabouts. Today it all came to me and now it'll work correctly. I think I'll bring the Enterprise to the Halloween float just so I can test it out. Or if things work out I may take her to Fern Ridge. We'll see.
A man of courage never needs weapons, but he may need bail. (Lewis Mumford)

Joe Novello

John is understating the sailability of that stretch of water. The wind always blows either straight upriver or downriver. There is not room to tack so you will go wherever the river blows you, unless your rudder or centerboard Hangs up on a rock, weeds, snag, or the bottom.

Take John’s advice.

Joe

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 3:47 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
The Yaquina River between Elk City and Toledo isn't a very good place
for a sailboat. Bring your kayak. I hope you can manage to bring Larimar
to Fern Ridge before the water is all gone. Bob L and I poked around
with his boathook yesterday and discovered that the depths given below
are a little pessimistic for the end of the Richardson ramp (but about
4" optimistic for the depth in my slip out on E Dock <sigh>). There's
about a foot more water at the end of the Orchard Point ramp.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/FRidgeSlips

On 8/9/2020 4:25 PM, elaine wrote:
> Being stuck at home has its advantages. I took my Enterprise
> sailing/racing dinghy to the Toledo Boat Show last year and as some of
> you know I had my share of problems. One that has been on my mind was
> that I couldn't figure out how to keep the rubber down. I've been
> researching since to figure this dilemma as I would love to sail her on
> some future Coot messabouts. Today it all came to me and now it'll work
> correctly. I think I'll bring the Enterprise to the Halloween float just
> so I can test it out. Or if things work out I may take her to Fern
> Ridge. We'll see.

A man of courage never needs weapons, but he may need bail. (Lewis Mumford)

Joe Novello

elaineginader

One of the first things I did to Larimar is oar locks but I need a seat and that's almost done. I rowed her the first year I brought her to Elk City but I missed going with the Coots because I was late. It would be nice to see how she handles. But we'll see what happens.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020, 3:47 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
The Yaquina River between Elk City and Toledo isn't a very good place
for a sailboat. Bring your kayak. I hope you can manage to bring Larimar
to Fern Ridge before the water is all gone. Bob L and I poked around
with his boathook yesterday and discovered that the depths given below
are a little pessimistic for the end of the Richardson ramp (but about
4" optimistic for the depth in my slip out on E Dock <sigh>). There's
about a foot more water at the end of the Orchard Point ramp.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/FRidgeSlips

On 8/9/2020 4:25 PM, elaine wrote:
> Being stuck at home has its advantages. I took my Enterprise
> sailing/racing dinghy to the Toledo Boat Show last year and as some of
> you know I had my share of problems. One that has been on my mind was
> that I couldn't figure out how to keep the rubber down. I've been
> researching since to figure this dilemma as I would love to sail her on
> some future Coot messabouts. Today it all came to me and now it'll work
> correctly. I think I'll bring the Enterprise to the Halloween float just
> so I can test it out. Or if things work out I may take her to Fern
> Ridge. We'll see.

A man of courage never needs weapons, but he may need bail. (Lewis Mumford)

Case Turner

Made that trip once with Orca. Mast up with hopes of sailing home into the slough. Well let’s just say that the last 1-2 miles took me forever rowing into the 2’a3’ wind chop. 3 year old Blake with me rubbing blackberries we’d picked all over the nice show paint!

Good times!

Case

Sent from not here