Toledo Wooden Boat Show -- Register Soon!

August 19-21st.

Just attended the Boat Show meeting. Things are moving along, but no important news to relate. Debbie is going to be sending out invitations to prior exhibitors soon, but you can get a jump on her by filling out and sending in an "unofficial" registration form I've put together. It should work fine, but if They need more information Debbie will get ahold of you. It's helpful for the Boat Show to know in advance how many boats are coming:

http://www.coots.org/mb/Toledo/2022-ToledoBoatShowRegistration.pdf

Debbie mentioned something about F******k too. There may be a Port of Toledo presence there, or maybe even something specifically about the Boat Show. You can email the Port to find out more: info@... .

Should be a Good show this year. There's a lot of pent up enthusiasm for getting out and doing stuff with other people. The Loyalty Days parade in Newport had its biggest turnout in years, or maybe ever. If the Dread Virus doesn't roar back...

http://www.coots.org/mb/Toledo/

Catch-and-release, that's like running down pedestrians in your car and then, when they get up and limp away, saying -- Off you go! That's fine. I just wanted to see if I could hit you. (Ellen DeGeneres)

Dan

Absuhtootly NUTHIN else is working...so I Guess I may as well prepare for August. As soon as it gets above freezing, and the wind drops below a howl, we gonna pull Mojo the tuglet out an do a float test. Mebbe we can put her to work in To...Leeee... Doh...

elaineginader

Hey Dan,

I just saw your post on Duckworth. Yah it Mojo floats.

Elaine

On Thu, May 19, 2022, 7:26 AM Dan <danashore@...> wrote:
Absuhtootly NUTHIN else is working...so I Guess I may as well prepare
for August.  As soon as it gets above freezing, and the wind drops below
a howl, we gonna pull Mojo the tuglet out an do a float test.  Mebbe we
can put her to work in To...Leeee... Doh...

Dan

CUE THE DRUMROLL...After weeks and weeks of "Waiting for Godot," or somesuch, hoping for summer to perhaps mount a sneak attack, our Frankenwerke Board of Directors concluded this morning, that I was going about it all wrong.  As the calendar is already showing a bit of the June page from under the May page, and the boys and girls down to the weatherguesser station keep telling us to plan on overnight freezing, and daylight rain and even snow, hereabouts, well...  Our BOD says we should just start planning for August.  Like I was saying, nuthin' else I have tried is working out.  August is when the Toledo show is supposed to happen.  It's pretty much what I built Mojo the Tuglet for, in the first place.

But, until just now, nobody even really could say if the little spitkit was even gonna float, and not leak, and not tip over...

Well.  Shazzammmmm....Meet the newest member of our Fleet...

elaineginader

Yay Dan

On Thu, May 19, 2022, 1:56 PM Dan <danashore@...> wrote:

[...]

John Weiss

WOW! How fast does that trolling motor push her?

On 05/19/22 13:56, Dan wrote:
[...]

Wow, Dan! The little "spitkit" sure is cute, and seems to float nice. :o) What happened when you got aboard and gave it a sea trial?

https://groups.io/g/oregoncoots/message/57199

Gonna bring both the tug and barge to Toledo?

On 5/19/2022 1:56 PM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
August is when the Toledo show is supposed to happen.  It's pretty much what I built Mojo the Tuglet for, in the first place.
But, until just now, nobody even really could say if the little spitkit was even gonna float, and not leak, and not tip over...
Well.  Shazzammmmm....Meet the newest member of our Fleet...
Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt. (Eric Sevareid)

Edward Epifani

Wonderful little boat. Has anybody considered a removable cabin trunk and doghouse? Water ballast ala SCAMP? Would be nice to counterbalance the windage. Some of Michilak’s micro cruisers with big cabins have flipped….you might’ve heard? Of course it’s all in Skippers judgement. I’d love to wander backwaters as it is.

On May 23, 2022, at 3:48 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

Wow, Dan! The little "spitkit" sure is cute, and seems to float nice. :o) What happened when you got aboard and gave it a sea trial?

https://groups.io/g/oregoncoots/message/57199

Gonna bring both the tug and barge to Toledo?

On 5/19/2022 1:56 PM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
August is when the Toledo show is supposed to happen. It's pretty much what I built Mojo the Tuglet for, in the first place.
But, until just now, nobody even really could say if the little spitkit was even gonna float, and not leak, and not tip over...
Well. Shazzammmmm....Meet the newest member of our Fleet...
Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt. (Eric Sevareid)

Dan's little tug is just for fun in sheltered water. He's also built a tiny sleeping barge for it to play with.

I believe you're thinking of Phil Bolger's flat-bottom Martha Jane sail cruiser. One Martha Jane capsized and, IIRC, buried the top of her mainmast in the bottom! A lot of Martha Janes have been built and cruised, and there was only the one disaster, but once is more than enough for a design sold as being a safe boat... Phil designed lots of other good --and better looking -- boats.

Jim Michalak hasn't designed any motorboats with big, high cabins, and I haven't heard of any of his sail or power cruisers being particularly prone to capsizing, though the sailboats are all shallow leeboard craft. Most, if not all, have full-width cabins running right out to the hull sides, giving lots of reserve buoyancy high up. My experience with my Birdwatcher-cabin Jewelbox, Jr, Sage, was that she'd recover quickly from pretty high angles of heel (beware sailing between Toledo and the Airport launch ramp, the wind can come at you from any, and all, directions <g>). I did manage to let her get knocked down once, in Yaquina Bay (be sure to take out the slack of the second reef tackle after putting in the first reef, it can get caught on things <g>). Things got real quiet and she lay calmly on her side, with ample freeboard to the center slot, until I pulled most of the sail out of the water, when she popped back up on her own, without me even moving from where I was standing in the lee bilge. :o)

Too bad I didn't like sailing while inside. Sage sailed good.

http://www.boat-links.com/images/SageAtPT-2008-2.jpg

On 5/23/2022 4:11 PM, OzGoose Ed wrote:
Wonderful little boat. Has anybody considered a removable cabin trunk and doghouse? Water ballast ala SCAMP? Would be nice to counterbalance the windage. Some of Michilak’s micro cruisers with big cabins have flipped….you might’ve heard? Of course it’s all in Skippers judgement. I’d love to wander backwaters as it is.
https://groups.io/g/oregoncoots/message/57199
Resistentialism: The theory that inanimate objects demonstrate hostile behavior toward us. (Coined by Paul Jennings from Latin res (thing) + French resister (to resist) + existentialism (a kind of philosophy))