Topics

Toledo Wooden Boat Show

I "attended" the first 2021 Toledo boat show planning meeting yesterday, without having to drive to the Coast. <g> Not a lot of planning went on, just catching up on the latest BS, and meeting the new Port Manager, Lorna. She's been involved in organizing the Seafood and Wine Festival in Newport, a larger event that our boat show, so she's well equipped to keep the the show going. We'll have to be nice to her until she gets used to Coots. <g>

I mentioned the Depoe Bay show. There may be a booth for the Depoe bay show at Toledo, and maybe some other elements of the Depoe Bay experience could be incorporated into the Toledo show, like the bake sale and kiddy boat building. I'll work on the Depoe Bay CoC.

Bud mentioned having some sort of memorial display for the Robisons we've lost recently.

Ralph Criteser's Rex has been rejuvenated, and repowered. There will be a small relaunch ceremony sometime soon. Ralph will be turning 90, so it may be on or near his birthday. I'll let you know when I know the details.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9UaEnk

This was Bud's last boat show meeting. Soon he'll be heading off for his villa in France, but he says we'll still be seeing him in an unofficial capacity around Toledo.

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind. (W. Somerset Maugham)

90? How did I do that? Ralph will be _94_ soon. Bud says he's doing "wonderful".

On 1/14/2021 2:34 PM, I wrote:
Ralph Criteser's Rex has been rejuvenated, and repowered. There will be a small relaunch ceremony sometime soon. Ralph will be turning 90, so it may be on or near his birthday. I'll let you know when I know the details.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9UaEnk
Whenever I hear anyone arguing for torture, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally. (John Kohnen, paraphrasing Abraham Lincoln on slavery)

David Graybeal

Thanks, John, for coordinating. 'Certain' Coots have already told me the new Head will have to get used to Coots... on the fly . As herding them into some semblance of civilization is unlikely. Or, as one of them put it, "It's sink or swim baby!!". But I, at least, promise to put my usual good behavior on display <G>

Bob Miller

Where is Bud going in France?

Bob

Sender notified by
Mailtrack 01/14/21, 03:25:39 PM

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:35 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
I "attended" the first 2021 Toledo boat show planning meeting yesterday,
without having to drive to the Coast. <g> Not a lot of planning went on,
just catching up on the latest BS, and meeting the new Port Manager,
Lorna. She's been involved in organizing the Seafood and Wine Festival
in Newport, a larger event that our boat show, so she's well equipped to
keep the the show going. We'll have to beĀ  nice to her until she gets
[...]

Bud's wife is French, and their "villa" is somewhere near his in-laws, but I don't recall where... Anybody here remember? I'll ask him...

On 1/14/2021 3:26 PM, Bob Miller wrote:
Where is Bud going in France?
And I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different. (Kurt Vonnegut)

Lorna, the new Port Manager, will get some idea of what it's like to deal with Coots from dealing with the Retired Old Geezers at the Boathouses. Some of them could almost pass for Coots. <g>

I forgot to mention that the Toledo floating library is still in the works, but running a bit behind schedule. ROG Toledo Joe is spearheading that effort. They're hoping to have it built by the Boat Show.

Toledo Joe has been writing a book with Tom "Mac" McAdams. Joe spends a couple of hours each week listening to Mac's stories. Should be an interesting read. Joe thinks it'll be in print by summer.

https://flic.kr/p/2h9PSSj

The Big tides, winds, and torrential rains in the mountains made for an exciting time around Toledo. Maybe somebody took some pictures of the Boathouses floating way up above the parking lot. ;o) That fiberglass Whitehall we see on the dock at the shipyard, but never being rowed, blew off the dock and was seen by one of the meeting attendees floating fown the river upside down by the launch ramp! Bud sent s crew chasing after it. <g>

https://flic.kr/p/fE6Ljo

On 1/14/2021 2:52 PM, David G wrote:
Thanks, John, for coordinating. 'Certain' Coots have already told me the new Head will have to get used to Coots... on the fly . As herding them into some semblance of civilization is unlikely. Or, as one of them put it, "It's sink or swim baby!!". But I, at least, promise to put my usual good behavior on display <G>
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. (George Carlin)