Tim Severin

Most of us probably remember him from his adventure trying to cross the Atlantic in a leather-skinned curragh, and the book he wrote about it:

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Tim Severin
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 09:52:15 +1300
From: Joan Druett
To: MARHST-L@LISTS.QUEENSU.CA

I don't believe it has been noted on the list that Tim Severin passed away
last month. I was greatly saddened by the news. He was a lovely man, an
inspiration to many, a great maritime historian and an epic adventurer.

I wrote about him myself: World of the Written Word: Tim Severin, seaman,
adventurer, author (joan-druett.blogspot.com)
<https://joan-druett.blogspot.com/2021/01/tim-severin-seaman-adventurer-author.html>
There is also a fine memoriam in the *Sydney Morning Herald.* Sailor in
leather boat challenged theory Columbus first to America (smh.com.au)
<https://www.smh.com.au/national/sailor-in-leather-boat-challenged-theory-columbus-first-to-america-20210106-p56s35.html>

--
*Joan Druett*
*Wellington, New Zealand 6011*

After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations. (H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare)

cherrill boissonou

John,
I remember the story from the National Geographic magazine. Didn’t Severin have problems with leather rotting at doom point?.......maybe on a prototype?
So sorry Bob didn’t make it. I enjoyed him at our lunch gatherings.
Earl

On Jan 16, 2021, at 2:47 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

[...]

I don't recall the details, but I think rotting leather was one of the trials Severin and his crew endured. But they were successful in their attempt to cross the ocean in a curragh!

Joan Druett's short piece on Severin reminds of of some of his other adventures, and mentions some new to me.

On 1/16/2021 4:31 PM, Earl wrote:
John,
I remember the story from the National Geographic magazine. Didn’t Severin have problems with leather rotting at doom point?.......maybe on a prototype?
So sorry Bob didn’t make it. I enjoyed him at our lunch gatherings.
https://joan-druett.blogspot.com/2021/01/tim-severin-seaman-adventurer-author.html
There is also a fine memoriam in the *Sydney Morning Herald.* Sailor in
leather boat challenged theory Columbus first to America (smh.com.au)
https://www.smh.com.au/national/sailor-in-leather-boat-challenged-theory-columbus-first-to-america-20210106-p56s35.html

--
*Joan Druett*
If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin. (Charles Darwin)