Topics

The Safest Place to Be duirng a Pandemic

The middle of an ocean...

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3nvcj97

or

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/10/05/safest-place-may-be-at-sea-say-portlanders-who-have-cast-off-on-global-circumnavigation/

--
John <@Jkohnen>
There is wisdom in turning as often as possible from the familiar to the unfamiliar: it keeps the mind nimble, it kills prejudice, and it fosters humor. (George Santayana)

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Brandon

I wish them luck. Sailing around the world was my dream since I was 13 and read the account of Robin Lee Graham in National Geographic. It narrowed down over the years to just the parts of the Pacific with coconut trees. 

This story reminds me of an article in the Newport fish wrap. They made a big deal about a couple who had fixed up a ketch and were off to sail around the world. They left Newport and both the men got so sea sick they returned less than a day later and never untied the dock lines again. 

Sounds like this couple will at least make it to Mexico. Bon voyage my friends!

Brandon 
Oceanus, 1971 Columbia 43

Richard Green

Brandon, I’m reminded of a couple who were in the Oregonian 25 years ago or so.  Full page send off in the interest section.  They spent ten years building the boat and preparing.  Sailed to San Francisco and she hated it so they sold the boat and flew everywhere they’d wanted to sail to.  

My dream now is to get the 13’ Livingston in my driveway fully repaired, primed, painted and ready for Hagg Lake!  The far horizon, no boundaries….!!!  Using Citristrip to strip the bad paint off the bottom.  Some holes filled, keels looked like the boat had fallen off the trailer on the freeway at seventy mph.  But I like the size, it’s scarce and the trailer, albeit painted, is excellent and I have a 3.5 Tohatsu to drive it around.  Stable enough even for a geezer.

Rich

On Oct 8, 2020, at 8:16 AM, Brandon via groups.io <brandonfordus@...> wrote:

I wish them luck. Sailing around the world was my dream since I was 13 and read the account of Robin Lee Graham in National Geographic. It narrowed down over the years to just the parts of the Pacific with coconut trees. 

This story reminds me of an article in the Newport fish wrap. They made a big deal about a couple who had fixed up a ketch and were off to sail around the world. They left Newport and both the men got so sea sick they returned less than a day later and never untied the dock lines again. 

Brandon 

Stephen Miller

I have a similar story.  My childhood dentist (pal of my dad's) spent many years building a sailboat in his back yard.  Used a crane to lift it up over the house to truck it down to the river.  Finished fitting her out, sold his practice then prepared to fulfill his life's dream of sailing the south pacific.   

His wife refused to go.  He left without her.  Ended up working as a traveling dentist for some of the island nations governments.  They paid his expenses.  Had a dental clinic on the boat and usually sailed with a cute young assistant or two.  He flew home for Christmas.  

Always thought he lived the perfect life in retirement.  

Steve Miller

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020, 1:34 PM Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:
Brandon, I’m reminded of a couple who were in the Oregonian 25 years ago or so.  Full page send off in the interest section.  They spent ten years building the boat and preparing.  Sailed to San Francisco and she hated it so they sold the boat and flew everywhere they’d wanted to sail to.  

My dream now is to get the 13’ Livingston in my driveway fully repaired, primed, painted and ready for Hagg Lake!  The far horizon, no boundaries….!!!  Using Citristrip to strip the bad paint off the bottom.  Some holes filled, keels looked like the boat had fallen off the trailer on the freeway at seventy mph.  But I like the size, it’s scarce and the trailer, albeit painted, is excellent and I have a 3.5 Tohatsu to drive it around.  Stable enough even for a geezer.

Rich

On Oct 8, 2020, at 8:16 AM, Brandon via groups.io <brandonfordus@...> wrote:

Brandon 

Josh

Brandon, that sounds a bit like me, read Dove and Maiden Voyage, Atkin, Herreshoff etc with big ideas of sailing around the world. Have moderated the dream to stuff I really will do. 

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020, 8:16 AM Brandon via groups.io <brandonfordus=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Brandon 

Brandon

I love these stories! People should chase their dreams even if there’s a chance they will turn into nightmares. Seems like every marina we stay at has at least a dozen folks who are constantly getting ready to leave on their “voyage around something” and they never cut the dock lines. Yea for anyone who gets that done. 

The dentist story reminds me of a ketch that Ed Monk Sr. designed for a dentist who served the small towns in southeastern Alaska. Nice boat. Had a dentist chair even. 

Brandon 

Lee Tapper

In some ways the character traits that it takes to get the boat and the resources for a long voyage and the opposite of the character traits for enjoying it once you are on the trip.  The first suggests a very type A personality and the second suggests someone that is more laid back.

Lee

From: oregoncoots@groups.io <oregoncoots@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brandon via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 9, 2020 9:14 AM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] The Safest Place to Be duirng a Pandemic

I love these stories! People should chase their dreams even if there’s a chance they will turn into nightmares. Seems like every marina we stay at has at least a dozen folks who are constantly getting ready to leave on their “voyage around something” and they never cut the dock lines. Yea for anyone who gets that done. 

The dentist story reminds me of a ketch that Ed Monk Sr. designed for a dentist who served the small towns in southeastern Alaska. Nice boat. Had a dentist chair even. 

Brandon 

Lee Tapper

Should be “are the opposite” not “and the opposite” .  Typo

From: oregoncoots@groups.io <oregoncoots@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lee Tapper via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 9, 2020 11:46 AM

In some ways the character traits that it takes to get the boat and the resources for a long voyage and the opposite of the character traits for enjoying it once you are on the trip.  The first suggests a very type A personality and the second suggests someone that is more laid back.

Lee

From: oregoncoots@groups.io <oregoncoots@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brandon via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 9, 2020 9:14 AM

Brandon