The dream engine


dan mulholland
 


Jove Lachman-Curl
 

Interestingly,
I work with a guy who previously worked at a company making free piston diesel engines, they use air bearings on the piston, no lube, and the linear motor/generator around the cylinder is the starter and the alternator for power out, and the piston has permanent magnets in it. One moving part plus the valves & injectors. Very cool.
The generators he worked on were long generator units he said they fit 2 in a 20 ft container side by side.
-Jove


Jove Lachman-Curl
 

https://www.mainspringenergy.com/technology/
There is cool little video at this link, where my coworker worked.
-Jove

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 11:22 AM Jove Lachman-Curl via groups.io <jovelc87=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Interestingly,
I work with a guy who previously worked at a company making free piston diesel engines, they use air bearings on the piston, no lube, and the linear motor/generator around the cylinder is the starter and the alternator for power out, and the piston has permanent magnets in it. One moving part plus the valves & injectors. Very cool.
The generators he worked on were long generator units he said they fit 2 in a 20 ft container side by side.
-Jove


 

Interesting engines. Alas, the Aquarius video doesn't show how the mechanical movement is turned into electricity.

https://www.aquariusengines.com/technology/

If the pistons in these engines use "air bearings" how do they contain the combustion gases?

If you drive a hydrogen fueled car does it get lighter when you fill up the fuel tank? ;o)

Thanks, Dan and Jove.

On 5/21/2021 11:34 AM, Jove wrote:
https://www.mainspringenergy.com/technology/
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
He used statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts; for support rather than illumination. (Andrew Lang)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Jove Lachman-Curl
 

My guy at work says the use a formulated graphite piston ring material to contain the combustion. High compression ration ~22:1, and lean burn, about 1/3 stoichiometric. The air bearings are back in the linear motor area, away from the combustion.

-Jove

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 2:33 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Interesting engines. Alas, the Aquarius video doesn't show how the
mechanical movement is turned into electricity.

https://www.aquariusengines.com/technology/

If the pistons in these engines use "air bearings" how do they contain
the combustion gases?

If you drive a hydrogen fueled car does it get lighter when you fill up
the fuel tank? ;o)

Thanks, Dan and Jove.

On 5/21/2021 11:34 AM, Jove wrote:
> https://www.mainspringenergy.com/technology/

--
John <jkohnen@...>
He used statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts; for support rather
than illumination. (Andrew Lang)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com







 

Thanks, Jove. That makes more sense.

A clever and efficient engine/generator.

But Hydrogen is just an energy storage medium. You use electricity to make hydrogen (the most environmentally way to do it), transport the hydrogen to where it'll be used, then burn it to turn it back into electricity. With multiple conversions, does that really pencil out? Better than sending the electricity through existing wires and then storing it in batteries? It's good to see people working on these new and different energy ideas.

https://www.mainspringenergy.com/technology/

https://www.aquariusengines.com/technology/

Could you transport hydrogen in airships? <g>

On 5/21/2021 5:17 PM, Jove Lachman-Curl wrote:
My guy at work says the use a formulated graphite piston ring material to contain the combustion. High compression ration ~22:1, and lean burn, about 1/3 stoichiometric. The air bearings are back in the linear motor area, away from the combustion.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim.” (Lyndon Johnson)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


 

Not really the "dream engine" but perhaps useful for converting solar or geothermal energy into mechanical energy. This guy is signed up for the Salish 100 and I saw the link to his page in his sig. Those of us who go on the S100 might get a chance to talk to him about Stirling engines:

https://www.stirlingbuilder.com/

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
I have noticed that people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them. (Edward Verrall Lucas)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com