The Cheap Pages

My friend Craig O'Donnell has been putting stuff up on the Interweb almost as long as I have. His "Cheap Pages" have been a valuable resource for over 20 years. Now that he's retired he's got time to update them, but his income has shrunk, so he's asking for some help to pay for the Web hosting. If a bunch of us each give a little we can easily fund the Cheap Pages for a while.

http://thecheappages.com/

(I've only met Craig in person one or two times, but I can assure you he does indeed look just like the picture. <g>)

"The Cheap Pages are still going after 21+ years, but it's time to think about the cost. Now I'm retired, I have the time to update and add new content, but the annual costs are hard to carry over the long run. I'm also due for a design software upgrade.
The accidental loss of the long-running Yahoo Canoe Sailing group's material got me thinking about this (I could not get the archives extracted in time. The complete chaos in the newspapering world pretty much devoured all my time and energy in the 20-teens years.)

"Way back in the day when web pages were created by Cro-Magnon such as myself, the Cheap Pages started as a personal web page and hosted a Bolger Boat Honor Roll. It's way outdated now, and most of the links are broken, but that section and others will be brought up to reflect today's info sources.

"Stuff that won't age out -- canoe sailing rigs, Chinese sailing rigs, and lots of the earliest small boat DIY material, I've got it there still, along with e-books like "Alone in the Caribbean." And I have a lot of material on the shelf I'd like to add. All of this activity was inspired, one way or another, by Phil [Bolger] and his books. In fact it was Payson's Build the Instant Catboat that got me thinking about sailing again back in the late 1990s.

"This rework includes the links and the material available for a long time at the Canoe Sailing Resources page and the related Cranks with Planks page (traditional DIY).

"I've started a GoFundMe to cover the rework [ https://www.gofundme.com/manage/keep-the-cheap-pages-going ]
which, I hope, will carry the best of the material and e-books forward for several more years and then we'll sail under the next bridge when we come to it."

Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat. (Craig O'Donnell)

Jove Lachman-Curl

Because that link didn't work for me.
-Jove

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 8:14 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Jove. This shortened link seems to work as well:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/keep-the-cheap-pages-going

http://thecheappages.com

try this. <https://www.gofundme.com/f/keep-the-cheap-pages-going?qid=7ac04888268ffdb7d504251e208a2d95&utm_campaign=p_cp_url&utm_medium=os&utm_source=customer>
My friend Craig O'Donnell has been putting stuff up on the Interweb
almost as long as I have. His "Cheap Pages" have been a valuable
resource for over 20 years. Now that he's retired he's got time to
update them, but his income has shrunk, so he's asking for some help to
pay for the Web hosting. If a bunch of us each give a little we can
easily fund the Cheap Pages for a while.
Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. (Thomas Jefferson)