From: Electri-Cal <calboats@...>
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Sep 2, 2020 9:24 am
Subject: [oregoncoots] Table saw notes.

Finished the belt replacement, new brushes as long as the motor was out.  I added a 3 wire plug, then wrapped that in dust proof cover.  If another service is needed, it will just unplug in a jiffy.  It was good to have the motor to get the right belt etc,. without the hassle of unwiring the switch way up inside.  Harbor Freight makes a dust catcher for most table saws for $7.00  that hooks under the stand up frame, think i'll add one of those.  Gets tired of the cats in the sawdust.   Maybe a paneling in of the floor stand would catch more too.  All this, and I scrapped 3 older saw blades, chipped teeth, gone carbide , hitting ss screws, a great help, maybe other coots might take a dedicated look at one of our most used tools, while its warm enough to enjoy the task.  At least a new red Diablo combo saw might help the cutting process??

Just in case !!!  Do we have a good source for a driveway blading and re gravelling ??  Our access is needing a new smooth and topcoat this year sometime.

Have a great day, ----  Cal

If a carbide blade is from a good manufacturer it might be worth having its bad teeth replaced. I go to Carson's saw shop, on Blair between 6th and 7th in Eugene, for my sharpening needs. They go all ga-ga over my old Freud blade when I bring it in, but they reluctantly replaced some teeth on a Grizzly blade after I did the math and concluded that it was enough cheaper to fix the cheapo blade instead of buying another.

https://www.carsonsawshop.com/

They say that the Mexican food stand parked out front is real good too, but I haven't tried them yet...

On 9/2/2020 9:24 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
I scrapped 3 older saw blades, chipped teeth, gone carbide , hitting ss screws, a great help, maybe other coots might take a dedicated look at one of our most used tools, while its warm enough to enjoy the task.  At least a new red Diablo combo saw might help the cutting process??
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it. (Henry David Thoreau)

Jove Lachman-Curl

I've not used Carson saw yet,
The mexican food cart there is indeed good, I've eaten there several times.
-Jove

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 11:04 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
If a carbide blade is from a good manufacturer it might be worth having
its bad teeth replaced. I go to Carson's saw shop, on Blair between 6th
and 7th in Eugene, for my sharpening needs. They go all ga-ga over my
old Freud blade when I bring it in, but they reluctantly replaced some
teeth on a Grizzly blade after I did the math and concluded that it was
enough cheaper to fix the cheapo blade instead of buying another.

https://www.carsonsawshop.com/

They say that the Mexican food stand parked out front is real good too,
but I haven't tried them yet...

On 9/2/2020 9:24 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
> I scrapped 3 older saw blades, chipped teeth, gone carbide ,
> hitting ss screws, a great help, maybe other coots might take a
> dedicated look at one of our most used tools, while its warm enough to
> enjoy the task.  At least a new red Diablo combo saw might help the
> cutting process??

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it. (Henry David Thoreau)

Carson's does all kinds of sharpening. I go there most often to get a lawnmower blade sharpened.

On 9/3/2020 12:01 PM, Jove wrote:
I've not used Carson saw yet,
The mexican food cart there is indeed good, I've eaten there several times.

If a carbide blade is from a good manufacturer it might be worth having
its bad teeth replaced. I go to Carson's saw shop, on Blair between 6th
and 7th in Eugene, for my sharpening needs. They go all ga-ga over my
old Freud blade when I bring it in, but they reluctantly replaced some
teeth on a Grizzly blade after I did the math and concluded that it was
enough cheaper to fix the cheapo blade instead of buying another.
https://www.carsonsawshop.com/
They say that the Mexican food stand parked out front is real good too,
but I haven't tried them yet...
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)

AAAhh !!  Great cutting back again.  The Diablo saw leaves a nicely polished finish on cut areas.  Accuracy is also better without belt slippage uneven speeds situation, plus better feed smoothness.  I cut a 2x8, half way  through each side to check finish and fit, the two 4 in. cuts left few swirls, met exactly in center after a couple "part way" cuts each 4 in. side to meet up.  Totally worth the work, at minimal cost for over past 25 years or more of reliable Delta Table Saw use.  Boxed in base helps with dust issue, a bag might do even more, next on my list, for $8 bucks at H Frt.  I thought about a "better" fence", nice idea but for the current saw capability, that'll do.  I could build a puddleduck with the savings, buy a bunch of other shop stuff to be replaced due to general age.  Glad I didn't buy a contractors portable and replace mine for newer, possibly better work, not a deal !!

Later,  Coots ---  cal

Jove Lachman-Curl

Nicely done Cal, A good cost saving repair that works well is very satisfying.
-Jove