spare V-6 truck?

Mark Neuhaus

Hi group,

While you folks are looking for a trailer for Randy's Tolman, how about keeping an eye open for a dirt cheap, only driven to church on Sundays type of truck with a V-6 engine so I can feel safer towing my Tolman.  My boat/trailer weighs in at 2700 lbs dry and empty and I suspect that by the time it's loaded for the road, it will be pushing my Tacoma's (4 cyl) 3500 lb towing weight limit.  I know there are folks who ignore the tow rating of their vehicle, but I'm not one of them. I'd feel safer with a heavier and stronger vehicle.

Thanks,
Mark

David Graybeal

I'll keep an eye out.

I agree about not pushing the limits.  Even though the Tundra is rated for 6,700#... with rare exceptions I like to keep it to 80-85% of that.

Jove Lachman-Curl

Does that mean you'll be selling the Tacoma?
If so let us know, I have a friend who's looking. He's 29, and recently got his contractors license.
-Jove

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 9:34 AM David Graybeal via groups.io <harbordavid=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'll keep an eye out.

I agree about not pushing the limits.  Even though the Tundra is rated for 6,700#... with rare exceptions I like to keep it to 80-85% of that.

Mark Neuhaus

Hi Jove,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 2:02 PM Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:

Does that mean you'll be selling the Tacoma?
If so let us know, I have a friend who's looking. He's 29, and recently got his contractors license.

I'm assuming you are addressing this query to me about my Tacoma.

When I started looking for a brand new Tacoma, minimally equipped, I found that they were few and far between.  Then the chip shortage hit and it's bye-bye to my quest.  And of course, the used truck prices went through the roof also.

So, unless someone points me to a good deal, I will wait it out.  I know I can safely launch the Tolman with my truck at the moorage where I've stored it in a lot since buying it last year. I've towed it to the Scappoose area as a test, but that's a fairly level stretch of road.  Getting it to Toledo or Cathlamet would entail large hills.  I figure I can use it in the Portland area, and even take it by water to Cathlamet.  And I can take my lighter Moonlit Turtle to Toledo, something I've done many times.

Even if I did find a truck, I'm afraid my brother has been hounding me to sell it to him at a "family" discount.  :-)   So I won't be able to help out your friend, sorry.

Mark

Case Turner

Mark,

I feel your pain. I started looking for a new truck right after the pandemic hit. I wish I’d pulled the trigger before that or even 8 months later.

Buying a new vehicle is definitely a new process. I had to put a deposit down to hold the truck. The deposit was refundable if I decided not to buy the truck.

Actually it was nice not having to haggle and do all the typical sales stuff.

I’m all set for years to come now!

Dirt

Sent from not here

--
Dirt

Mark Neuhaus

Hi Case,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 6:16 PM Case Turner <casesturner@...> wrote:

I feel your pain. I started looking for a new truck right after the pandemic hit. I wish I’d pulled the trigger before that or even 8 months later.

Yeah, I looked right after I bought the truck just over a year ago, and the exact truck I wanted was sitting on a Salem lot, price actually dropping because it wasn't 4WD and wasn't gussied up for off roading.  I was shocked at how much it cost, not having looked at prices for the ten years since I bought my truck brand new in 2011. I hoped it would drop more as the pandemic spread and the new models would be coming out, but, alas, it got transferred to a Corvallis lot with a much higher price, and must have been sold shortly thereafter.  Didn't bother to look at trucks again until a couple of months ago.  Yep, I missed my chance last year........

I’m all set for years to come now!

I would say so. Looks nice!  You planning to bring that rig over to Cathlamet or Toledo this year?  I've got the frozen shrimp and beer batter ready for your latest cooking contraption.  :-)

Mark

Case Turner

I’m hoping to make Toledo, assuming those that don’t have boTs can camp somewhere.

Sent from not here