Singing Sea Songs

I've reached a point in my culling, editing and uploading my photos of the recent Salish 100 where I'm encountering shots of the first musical jam, at Blake Island. Not as many musicians as we had in 2019, but still fun. Attempts were made to get a singalong going, without much success. But the next night at Kingston we did better, and they even got me going on some of the cruder and bawdier songs. Alas, the musicians didn't know many seas songs -- which are better for those of us who can't sing, as well as being more relevant -- and the crowd didn't know enough lyrics to the one we tried. We ended up trying to sing a bunch of stuff you'd hear around the campfire at a scout camp. Somebody commented, "I'll bet we're gonna do Kumbaya next!" ;o)

With the hope that we can add some sea songs to the repertoire before the next Salish 100, I've been putting some lyrics here. Be sure to look at the Salish 100 song Earl wrote!

http://www.coots.org/Songs/

Since being able to carry a tune isn't too important for many of the sea songs and chanties, what do you think about trying a singalong during the Toledo messabout?

You can hear the tunes by searching the titles on a streaming music service, or YouTube. If you have a Spotify account, I've got a playlist of hundreds of songs:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3eaCkBPUgny3KvhVQC3YJh?si=ed5ca121ae68460b

Set it to shuffle and enjoy! :o)
When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. (Henry J. Kaiser)

Claire Acord

Hi John and all,
I have some shanties with music and lyrics, can make them into JPGs or whatever if you are interested, all in the key of C or G, and simple, so easy to play,
I will look in my music and see which ones I have if you like,
cheers
Claire

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 5:30 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
[...]

SmilinBob

Dear Fleet:

Here are two excellent sea shanty and foc'sle song books:

Shanties from the Seven Seas by Stan Hugill
Songs of the Sailor and Lumberman by William Main Doerflinger

Note that these songs are sung best in a crowd, with a twenty-four-year-old scotch in one hand, and a scotch 24-year-old in the other.

I hope to sail my Goat Island Skiff with you this summer.

Be well,
Bob Choderker