Topics

Shatyish Boats

Richard Green

Yes, Shaneteuse, like so many of Michalak’s designs is simple. If or when push comes to shove it may be the easiest way to go as a minimalist boat to get out in, do such events as are around. I’m 73 and not the guy I was before two knees, two heart procedures, peripheral neuropathy to my knees, et al and general degradation due to age. Nowadays I work out three times a week in the cardiac rehab at the local hospital, walk daily a mile or so, building upper body strength trying and to some extent succeeding in rebuilding me…from the ground up, so to speak.

So I’ve sent for the plans, showed all in another email what I’d “like”, see how it goes. I am thinking out loud in these emails, sometimes risky business. At one time I built boats, refurbed boats ’til the cows came home. Now time will tell what will or will not happen.

Rich

On Nov 15, 2019, at 1:28 AM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

Shanteuse is a very simple boat:

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/jm-shanteuse.htm

Not much more complicated than a Puddle Duck or Goose...

On 11/15/2019 1:25 AM, I wrote:
What mods do you have in mind for the hypothetical Shanteuse Graybeal will build for you?
After the Retired Old Geezers finish my Geodesic Airolite boat maybe they'd be willing so take on a project that involves little more than simple carpentry...
On 11/13/2019 9:30 PM, Rich G wrote:
Thanks, John. Oddly enough I have thought of David Graybeal a couple times recently pondering whether I might hire him to build the hull for my next and last boat. All those exercises I’ve been doing since my latest heart procedure has inspired me to a houseboat/scow design such as Michalak’s Shanteuse with modifications for which I have the plans on order. Something for me to ponder on David Graybeal Awareness Day for sure!
--
John (@Jkohnen)
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it. (Thomas Jefferson)