Topics

September Columbia Cruise

Me and Bob L and Earl decided we're gonna do a circumnavigation of Sauvie's Island next month. Starting September 26th from Fred's Marina, and staying out maybe five nights. We'll see... Details to be worked out later. Anyonhe who likes is welcome to join us.

I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. (Elizabeth Cady Stanton)

Mark Neuhaus

Hi gang,

On Monday, August 17, 2020, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

Me and Bob L and Earl decided we're gonna do a circumnavigation of Sauvie's Island next month. Starting September 26th from Fred's Marina, and staying out maybe five nights. We'll see... Details to be worked out later. Anyonhe who likes is welcome to join us.

Okay, then, here is a quick stab at POIs that might be of interest.

A friend in his Port Townsend skiff and I in my Tolman are heading out tomorrow for a Hayden Island round trip.  Next week, I hope  to head up to Scappoose Bay to see what condition the backwater is in that Terry, Pat, and I stayed in after the summer solstice back in June, 2009. River level is pretty low now, so it may not be a viable stop.

I'm willing to stop, by boat or car, at any other places anyone wants to know about.

In return, maybe someone can take a quick peek at my moorage area (just a quarter mile down channel from Fred's) and explain how to properly dock in and out of an angled berth with wind, tide,  shallow water, and current screwing with me. And a neighboring boat, to boot.  I'm getting tired of seeing all the floating home inhabitants bringing their chairs out to watch major entertainment.  😀

Mark

Bob Miller

John -

You have at least one interested party up here in PT. It looks like a good outing for my new (to me) 18' Poulsbo boat. I'm hoping to make one of the Columbia gatherings but we have still unsettled dates pending for a San Juans cruise in company. If those dates compete, my first love is the islands. I hope it works out. Your's and Cathlamet look safe enough to enjoy.

Cheers,

Bob M

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 6:16 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Me and Bob L and Earl decided we're gonna do a circumnavigation of
Sauvie's Island next month. Starting September 26th from Fred's Marina,
and staying out maybe five nights. We'll see... Details to be worked out
later. Anyonhe who likes is welcome to join us.

I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns.
(Elizabeth Cady Stanton)

elaineginader

John,

I'm interested if the job let's me. I'm bringing Belle Starr.

Elaine

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020, 3:52 PM Bob Miller <rmiller43@...> wrote:
[...]

I sure hope you can get away from the job for a few days and join us, Elaine. There will be quite a bit of motoring, in Multnomah Channel at least, so make sure Belle's motor is ready for it.

On 8/18/2020 5:58 PM, elaine wrote:
I'm interested if the job let's me. I'm bringing Belle Starr.
The man who is always waving the flag usually waives what it stands for. (Laurence J. Peter)

elaineginader

We've been working on it. My husband is teaching me the ropes. Do we have the days in mind yet? This way I can talk to my manager easier.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020, 9:01 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
I sure hope you can get away from the job for a few days and join us,
Elaine. There will be quite a bit of motoring, in Multnomah Channel at
least, so make sure Belle's motor is ready for it.

On 8/18/2020 5:58 PM, elaine wrote:

> I'm interested if the job let's me. I'm bringing Belle Starr.

The man who is always waving the flag usually waives what it stands for.
(Laurence J. Peter)

Whose boat is that in the lower two pictures with midship housetop and fore cockpit?  It is GORGEOUS!!  What a great camping and day boating vessel, beautiful and beautiful lines.

Rich

On Aug 18, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Bob Miller <rmiller43@...> wrote:

[...]

<poulsbo 2.jpeg><poulsbo 1.jpg>

The date of departure from Fred's Marina is September 26th. The itinerary isn't nailed down, but we may spend a day sightseeing up the Willamette through Portland and back, staying a night at or near Fred's, then go downriver on the Columbia side of Sauvie's Island for two days, maybe stopping in Fishermen's Slough behind Caterpillar Island, then back upstream using Multnomah Channel, spending a night at Coon Island.

The object of the cruise is to take it easy, enjoy the scenery, and not try to cover a lot of miles. We'll try to finish each day's run before the winds kick up in the afternoon. But by late September we may not have the summer weather pattern that kicks up the wind...

On 8/19/2020 9:07 PM, elaineginader wrote:
We've been working on it. My husband is teaching me the ropes. Do we have the days in mind yet? This way I can talk to my manager easier.
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. (Louis L'Amour)

That's sure a nice looking boat, Bob! :o) Is that an original (obviously modified) Poulsbo boat, or a newer boat? I think the Youngs built only a few 18-footers... Whatya got for power?

On 8/18/2020 3:51 PM, Bob Miller wrote:
John -
You have at least one interested party up here in PT. It looks like a good outing for my new (to me) 18' Poulsbo boat. I'm hoping to make one of the Columbia gatherings but we have still unsettled dates pending for a San Juans cruise in company. If those dates compete, my first love is the islands. I hope it works out. Your's and Cathlamet look safe enough to enjoy.
The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it. (Laurence J. Peter)

Bob Miller

It's an original Ronald Young. One former iteration ( https://www.pinterest.com/pin/275282595947150079/?nic_v2=1a1tzClZN ) was shown at a past WBF. I don't know if that was custom from the builder or a modification. I plan to stop by the Poulsbo Boat Rendezvous (in Poulsbo) on the 29th to see if the historical society has any info. It's powered by a Yamaha 8 hp high thrust electric start in a well. I'm having a hoop tent constructed for the forward cockpit on the 31st. I hope to have her fully cruise capable by the first week of September. Christened Scot-Free (a nod to part of my heritage). She'll fly the Scottish red ensign.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 9:50 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
That's sure a nice looking boat, Bob! :o) Is that an original (obviously
modified) Poulsbo boat, or a newer boat? I think the Youngs built only a
few 18-footers... Whatya got for power?

On 8/18/2020 3:51 PM, Bob Miller wrote:
> John -
>
> You have at least one interested party up here in PT. It looks like a
> good outing for my new (to me) 18' Poulsbo boat. I'm hoping to make one
> of the Columbia gatherings but we have still unsettled dates pending for
> a San Juans cruise in company. If those dates compete, my first love is
> the islands. I hope it works out. Your's and Cathlamet look safe
> enough to enjoy.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
(Laurence J. Peter)

Dan

Oooooooo...geee...It's prolly too hard...but...hmnnnnn...where does Fred
keep his marina? Jamie and I have been solo cruising, and on two
occasions, doing the social distancing/group cruising thing this summer.
Sometimes, if you squint, it almost seems like "normal." Dan

Mark Neuhaus

On Thursday, August 20, 2020, Dan <danashore@...> wrote:

where does Fred keep his marina?

Here's their webpage.

Driving, you head west out of Portland on highway 30 towards Astoria. After passing through Linnton, the speed limit increases to 55 mph, and just a quarter mile after that sign, you hang a right on NW Marina Way.  The marina is about a half mile down the road, well marked on the right. During fishing season, it is a VERY busy place, with rigs parked out in his overflow lots and along Marina Way. I'm not a fisherman so I don't know if that will be a problem for the cruise dates.

Mark

Richard Green

I”’m remembering Fred’s is the first marina into the Multnomah Channel followed by Lucky Landing, etc.  When we returned from Hawaii we kept the boat at Fred’s for awhile, then moved down a marina.  I moored two different boats at Lucky Landing, a 32’ cutter and prior to that a 25’ Freedom for a total of several years.  The ramp at Fred’s is fairly steep so not much to worry about for launching…as long as your brakes are good.  heh.

Rich

On Aug 20, 2020, at 9:42 AM, Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:

On Thursday, August 20, 2020, Dan <danashore@...> wrote:

where does Fred keep his marina?

Here's their webpage.

Driving, you head west out of Portland on highway 30 towards Astoria. After passing through Linnton, the speed limit increases to 55 mph, and just a quarter mile after that sign, you hang a right on NW Marina Way.  The marina is about a half mile down the road, well marked on the right. During fishing season, it is a VERY busy place, with rigs parked out in his overflow lots and along Marina Way. I'm not a fisherman so I don't know if that will be a problem for the cruise dates.

Mark

I recall seeing the boat at the PT Fest when a bunch of Poulsbo boats showed up, with interesting engines in most of them, but not a single Wisconsin or B&S, IIRC. <shrug> Looks like someone took a saw to the cabin since then... I look forward to seeing her in the flesh.

On 8/19/2020 10:31 PM, Bob Miller wrote:
It's an original Ronald Young. One former iteration ( https://www.pinterest.com/pin/275282595947150079/?nic_v2=1a1tzClZN ) was shown at a past WBF. I don't know if that was custom from the builder or a modification. I plan to stop by the Poulsbo Boat Rendezvous (in Poulsbo) on the 29th to see if the historical society has any info. It's powered by a Yamaha 8 hp high thrust electric start in a well. I'm having a hoop tent constructed for the forward cockpit on the 31st. I hope to have her fully cruise capable by the first week of September. Christened Scot-Free (a nod to part of my heritage). She'll fly the Scottish red ensign.
He could do anything he put his mind to, except put on a white shirt and tie. (Said of yacht club manager Clifford James Dickson by his daughter)

elaineginader

I'm coming, work gave me the time off. I have a first mate so if there's wind we can put Bells sails up. This will be my first messabout and my first real cruise with Belle.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 8:35 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
I recall seeing the boat at the PT Fest when a bunch of Poulsbo boats
showed up, with interesting engines in most of them, but not a single
Wisconsin or B&S, IIRC. <shrug> Looks like someone took a saw to the
cabin since then... I look forward to seeing her in the flesh.

On 8/19/2020 10:31 PM, Bob Miller wrote:
> It's an original Ronald Young. One former iteration (
> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/275282595947150079/?nic_v2=1a1tzClZN ) was
> shown at a past WBF. I don't know if that was custom from the builder or
> a modification. I plan to stop by the Poulsbo Boat Rendezvous (in
> Poulsbo) on the 29th to see if the historical society has any info. It's
> powered by a Yamaha 8 hp high thrust electric start in a well. I'm
> having a hoop tent constructed for the forward cockpit on the 31st. I
> hope to have her fully cruise capable by the first week of September.
> Christened Scot-Free (a nod to part of my heritage). She'll fly the
> Scottish red ensign.

He could do anything he put his mind to, except put on a white shirt and
tie. (Said of yacht club manager Clifford James Dickson by his daughter)

Mark Neuhaus

Hi Elaine,

On Thursday, August 20, 2020, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

I'm coming, work gave me the time off. I have a first mate so if there's wind we can put Bells sails up. This will be my first messabout and my first real cruise with Belle.

I'm hoping to be among the fleet, too.  Any page with Belle's specs, such as length and draft and pics?

Mark

elaineginader

It took a bit of looking through Michael's blog " Doryman " but here's the specs

LOA: 23 feet, 4 inches
LWL: 18 feet, 4 inches
BEAM: 7 feet 1 inch
DRAFT: 3 feet, 4 inches
WEIGHT: 4,490 pounds
SAIL AREA: 339 square feet
HULL: full keel, keel-hung rudder
AUXILIARY POWER: outboard in well.

Yes she was Michael's here's a picture.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 2:20 PM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:
Hi Elaine,

On Thursday, August 20, 2020, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

I'm coming, work gave me the time off. I have a first mate so if there's wind we can put Bells sails up. This will be my first messabout and my first real cruise with Belle.

I'm hoping to be among the fleet, too.  Any page with Belle's specs, such as length and draft and pics?

Mark

elaineginader

It's a Stone Horse.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 2:44 PM elaineginader via groups.io <elaineginader=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

It's great that you'll be able to join us for the cruise, Elaine. :o) Here are some shots of Belle Starr when Michael owned her:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y596a3lq

or

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=43145927%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&text=starr&view_all=1

On 8/21/2020 6:18 PM, elaine wrote:
It's a Stone Horse.
Assistance given to the weak makes the one who gives it strong. (Booker T. Washington)

elaineginader

Thank you John great album. I'm hoping to take Belle out and have as much fun as Michael did. Just need to get the "I don't want to break her" syndrome to go away.