Salish 100 Registration Starts Tomorrow Morning! (Monday the 3rd)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [salish100] READY, SET, REGISTER FOR THE SALISH 100 (Monday morning)
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 15:44:54 -0700
From: Marty

READY, SET, REGISTER!
2021 SALISH 100 SELF-SUPPORTING SMALL BOAT CRUISE
 We’re about to open registration (May 3) for the second Salish 100 small boat cruise, to be run July 9-15, 2021, starting in Olympia, WA, and ending in Port Townsend, WA.
This year’s cruise will be somewhat modified. Due to COVID 19 economic and social impacts, we are not able to offer the level of shore support and activities that we enjoyed in 2019. That being the case, we are announcing this year’s cruise as a self supporting, sleep-aboard event, since we have not been able to secure camping options at most of the anchorages along our route.
We will be following nearly the same route, substituting Port Ludlow for Mats Mats Bay on the last leg. This year’s participants need to be able to cruise with the group, to each of the nightly destinations. If you need to travel to a different area to camp or find lodgings, we will not be able to accept your application for 2021. (We need to account for you throughout the cruise, to fulfill our responsibilities under the terms of our insurance. We expect this to revert to the original plan in future COVID-free years.)
If you are considering a partial cruise (along our published route), or want to know what anchoring/mooring options for the complete cruise are, view some possible options below.
The situation as we know it today:
Olympia - Swantown Marina in Olympia has guest slips available. No camping, but there are hotels and motels in the area. (Cruise begins at 9 a.m., July 9; skippers should plan to arrive by the afternoon of July 8, to attend a skipper’s meeting at 7 p.m., near the Swantown launch ramp.)
Henderson Inlet - Tent camping available as before on the waterfront lawn of a gracious Salish 100 participant. (We arrive in Henderson Inlet on the afternoon of July 9.)
Penrose Point State Park - All available campsites have been reserved by other parties; no known hotels or motels in the area but we are looking into one possible option for sleep-ashore boaters. (Stay tuned.) Guest moorage at the state-park dock is first-come, first served. Lots of room for boats to anchor out. (We arrive July 10.)
Gig Harbor - There are no campsites available, but there are hotels and motels in the downtown area. We will not be able to visit the Gig Harbor BoatShop, nor hold a BBQ there, due to COVID concerns. Guest moorage is uncertain at this point—at least one commercial marina has stopped renting guest slips due to the pandemic—but the main overnight moorage in 2019 was at the public Jerisich Park dock—firstcome, first-served...a great facility with power and water, reasonable rates and great showers. (We arrive July 11.)
Blake Island State Park - There appear to be some campsites available. Guest moorage at the park’s marina is first-come, first-served. Anchoring out is fine, usually along the northwest shore of the island, where there are also some state-park mooring buoys. (We arrive July 12.)
Kingston - Our waterfront camping host for 2019 has rented out their home and camping is not available, but there are a few motels in town. We will not be able to have a BBQ or beach gathering. Kingston Marina has guest slips for all of our small boats. (We arrive July 13.)
Port Ludlow - No camping is allowed; accommodations are available at the Port Ludlow Resort, next to the marina. Guest slips for our small boats are available at Port Ludlow Marina. Lots of room in the bay, just outside the marina, for boaters who wish to anchor out. (We arrive July 14.)
Port Townsend - Point Hudson Marina has few if any guest moorage slips available (yacht club reservations already in).Boat Haven Marina is what’s available on arrival (no reservations). They usually can find space. If state park campsites are full (Fort Worden, Fort Townsend), the county fairgrounds can accommodate you. Most of our small boats will haul out at the Boat Haven ramp. (We arrive July 15.) Water, wind, and scenery
are abundant along the 100-nautical-mile route and can be enjoyed despite other circumstances. So, come join us and rejoin the world. Lots of additional details will be included in the online registration form, which will go live on May 3, and we’ll likely have other updates between now and the start of registration. Boaters who completed application forms for the (canceled) 2020 Salish 100, and were accepted for that cruise, will be given preference for this year’s cruise, but everyone will need to fill out
a 2021 registration form, in part because we’re employing new and different sign-up software. A final caveat: We will, of course, follow all current health protocols at the time of the cruise, which could—but probably won’t be—subject to cancellation if mandated by the State of Washington.

http://nwmaritime.org/salish100/

Your Salish 100 Planning Team
Salish 100 | Northwest Maritime Center
NWMARITIME.ORG

Wind is to us what money is to life on shore. (Sterling Hayden)