Sailboat Racing on Fern Ridge


 

The only boats out racing this evening were Santana 20s. Only a Santana 20 owner could love their looks, but any sailboat looks good in the evening light. :o) I only had my cheap pocket camera with me, so I was surprised when I managed to get a few good shots:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVsND3V

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? (Ernest Hemingway)

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Andrew Linn
 

When do the races happen? I need to learn how to rig and sail my DSII

On 4/29/2021 10:47 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
The only boats out racing this evening were Santana 20s. Only a Santana 20 owner could love their looks, but any sailboat looks good in the evening light. :o) I only had my cheap pocket camera with me, so I was surprised when I managed to get a few good shots:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVsND3V


elaineginader
 

Looks like they had good wind. Thanks for the pictures John.


On Fri, Apr 30, 2021, 7:14 AM Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:
When do the races happen? I need to learn how to rig and sail my DSII

On 4/29/2021 10:47 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
> The only boats out racing this evening were Santana 20s. Only a
> Santana 20 owner could love their looks, but any sailboat looks good
> in the evening light. :o) I only had my cheap pocket camera with me,
> so I was surprised when I managed to get a few good shots:
>
> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVsND3V
>







 

The races are every Thursday, with the starting gun at 6:30. Beer and hamburgers afterwards, or at least there used to be before the Covid. But the Thursday racers are serious, and you have to be a member of one of the yacht clubs to race your boat (Triton YC is the Coot-like one, and a LOT cheaper; I'm a member). If you want to get into serious racing, the way to get started is to join the crew of a raceboat. That's usually not too hard to do, but there may be more crew than boats this year, with the lake low.

https://www.eugeneyachtclub.org/weekly-racing

http://www.tritonyachtclub.net/

Probably more your speed are the Beer Can races Tuesday evenings, 21 years old this year. The start is at 6:30 near the EYC. Boats sail for a set time, around some buoys or around Leakin' Lena, then everyone turns around and retraces their course back to the start. For the last leg, the boat that was last starts out in the lead. Beer and hamburgers follow. The Beer Can races are more of a Triton YC thing, though they aren't sponsored by any club, and you don't have to belong to anything to participate.

Join the Fernsail group to ask about crewing, learn about the Beer Can racing, and to ask for Daysailer help (there's at least one Daysailer sailor over there):

https://groups.io/g/Fernsail

On 4/30/2021 7:14 AM, Andrew wrote:
When do the races happen? I need to learn how to rig and sail my DSII
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
If you lose the power to laugh, you lose the power to think. (Clarence Darrow)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


 

The "downwind leg" was almost a reach, and a few of the boats doused their spinnakers (60 Grit being one) after figuring out that they'd go faster if they weren't heeling so much. <g> One or two almost got knocked **s over teakettle! But that was before I got close enough, near the leeward mark, to take photos with my little pocket camera.

On 4/30/2021 8:00 AM, elaine wrote:
Looks like they had good wind. Thanks for the pictures John.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Any man-made code could be broken by a woman. (Agnes Meyer Driscoll, pioneering US Navy cryptographer)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


 

The Beer can races started, "First Tuesday in April. Start time is 7:00 slowly adding boats."

Thanks, Jeff!

On 4/30/2021 1:52 PM, I wrote:
... Probably more your speed are the Beer Can races Tuesday evenings, 21 years old this year. The start is at 6:30 near the EYC. Boats sail for a set time, around some buoys or around Leakin' Lena, then everyone turns around and retraces their course back to the start. For the last leg, the boat that was last starts out in the lead. Beer and hamburgers follow. The Beer Can races are more of a Triton YC thing, though they aren't sponsored by any club, and you don't have to belong to anything to participate.
Join the Fernsail group to ask about crewing, learn about the Beer Can racing, and to ask for Daysailer help (there's at least one Daysailer sailor over there):
https://groups.io/g/Fernsail
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first. (Joshua Slocum)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Electri-Cal
 

I learned to sail on Santana 20's and Cal 20's  in L.A., , let's see that was 1965 ish.  Also did Lazers for a while, then I got my own sailboat.  I still miss the ol "LOA 17" by loman, back in the day.  Good sleeping room, decent cabin headroom, built on a flat bottom Lido ??, maybe hull, but set for fas cruising in it's size range,  With an added heavier centerboard, I wasn't legal, but I was fast, very fast for the size as it would surf in good winds.  Now i'm not fast and fearless, haven't been for years -- what the heck.  Best fast sailboat was a Cal 27, half ton class racer, that had the pop top, whick could be muscled to the dock for a 4 ft. by 6ft. open topped group sail evening.   That was fastest, fun, but not heavy enough so always needed reglassing, rebedding, the way of a fast glass boat when played with seriously.  


Later, ah! the good old (bad) days in CAL.  ----  Cal


Claire Acord
 

Hey Cal,
Did you sail Cal 20's out of the Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club?  We spend a few days there whilst undergoing emergency repairs one summer after bending our Ranger 29's rudder up under the boat during the MORA long distance race from SF bay...they were super to us, anything they could do they did, and we enjoyed being there very much, I see they still have a Cal 20 fleet.
I think they were more good than bad, those old days...
cheers
Claire

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 7:03 AM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
I learned to sail on Santana 20's and Cal 20's  in L.A., , let's see that was 1965 ish.  Also did Lazers for a while, then I got my own sailboat.  I still miss the ol "LOA 17" by loman, back in the day.  Good sleeping room, decent cabin headroom, built on a flat bottom Lido ??, maybe hull, but set for fas cruising in it's size range,  With an added heavier centerboard, I wasn't legal, but I was fast, very fast for the size as it would surf in good winds.  Now i'm not fast and fearless, haven't been for years -- what the heck.  Best fast sailboat was a Cal 27, half ton class racer, that had the pop top, whick could be muscled to the dock for a 4 ft. by 6ft. open topped group sail evening.   That was fastest, fun, but not heavy enough so always needed reglassing, rebedding, the way of a fast glass boat when played with seriously.  


Later, ah! the good old (bad) days in CAL.  ----  Cal


 

The LOA 17 was one of Pat Pateson's favorite boats. I looked it up and found that it was apparently based on the Lightning hull, shrunk and adapted by Sidney Blinder:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/loa-17

Looking at some of the other boats you mentioned, I see that Bill Lapworth designed the Cal 20 and 27. I was surprised to see that the Cal 20 was last made in 1971. There still seem to be plenty left.

On 5/2/2021 7:03 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
I learned to sail on Santana 20's and Cal 20's  in L.A., , let's see that was 1965 ish.  Also did Lazers for a while, then I got my own sailboat.  I still miss the ol "LOA 17" by loman, back in the day.  Good sleeping room, decent cabin headroom, built on a flat bottom Lido ??, maybe hull, but set for fas cruising in it's size range,  With an added heavier centerboard, I wasn't legal, but I was fast, very fast for the size as it would surf in good winds.  Now i'm not fast and fearless, haven't been for years -- what the heck.  Best fast sailboat was a Cal 27, half ton class racer, that had the pop top, whick could be muscled to the dock for a 4 ft. by 6ft. open topped group sail evening.   That was fastest, fun, but not heavy enough so always needed reglassing, rebedding, the way of a fast glass boat when played with seriously.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
His heart was bound in oak and triple brass who first committed a fragile bark to the raging sea... (Horace)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com