Topics

Roseburg Hardwood Supplier

antec007

Bryn,
Thanks for all the help at DePoe Bay. I felt so useless see you and
my son Chad carrying my (I think it's actually his now) Folbot up
that ramp in the rain. I used to do that stuff when I was your
age, but now relegated to carrying life jackets. The torch is
passed to the next generation. May you do better thatn we did.
Your Dory event is going to be a regular.

I would Not use Red Oak for anything in a boat.
I build furniture for a living, and work with Red Oak all the time.
The difference is that Red Oak has hollow cells. You can actually
take a piece and blow bubbles through it just like a straw. Try it
sometime, it's kind of interesting.
You can imagine what water would do to it, unless you plan on
saturating the whole thing with epoxy.
White Oak is solid, not hollow.

Don't know exactly where you can get it, but I think even Oregon
White Oak would be better than green Red.

Might try one of the local small small sawmills, or check with
someone that has a mobile diminsional mill.
Also fire wood places. Might be able to build a boat of firewood.
Just get to it befor it gets cuts to leangths, and take it to a local
mill, or even a cabinet shop that has a large bandsaw.
Or if the pieces are small enough, use a fro and if it is green
should be able to spit it, and it will bend much stronger and better
than sawn.
Natural grain. Not cut across the grain.
What kind of leanths and diminsions to you need. I'll look around
here and see what I can find. We have several local small small
mills that could cut you what you want.

Pat (Toad) Patteson
Molalla, Oregon
pateson@...

--- In MessaboutW@y..., thoms.bryn@d... wrote:
Yes the runabout is outboard powered, I beleive the old add for the
cruiser
has a 60 hp or maybe 70, which is a bit small for today's
standards. I
would like to have a Honda 4 stroke, 70 or something similar,
however it
will likely be more than I can afford and I'll have to go back to
wind and
human power. Speaking of, the photo's of Dexter are great. I got
the urge
to look for a nice sailing dory plan from the Gradner book after I
saw those
photos. Scott's got a nice looking boat, well they are all nice.
The
swampsoctt or Gunning, or possibly the Alpha beach comer is on my
list of
future boats.

When you mentioned a "land yacht" I imagined a sailing land yacht
like the
kind you find in the Alvord or Black Rock Desert. I have always
wanted to
build a wooden land yacht, gaff-rigged, and show up at one of the
land yacht
festivals with all the aluminum and fiberglass and high-tech gear.

Bytheway - Thanks Jack for the info on Hardwood. I haven't called
for
prices of green (red) oak yet, but I do know that at Cross-cut in
Eugene,
the price is $1.75 a board foot. Which is half the price of the
kiln-dried
oak, special order, though. I believe that is red oak and from my
limited
experience with boat construction, I think the white oak is
supposed to be
superior to the red for steam bending. We'll see.