Richardson marina Survey?

Fern Ridge keeps drying up in front of our eyes. If we're gonna do a survey of the depths in the channels between the slips we'd better start soon, or we're gonna have to figure out how to measure negative depths. <g> Or wait until spring, but the water is warmer now. I figure we need at least three Coots to do the job efficiently -- one on each opposing finger dock handling a line across the channel with marks every 5' or so, and one Coot wading around with a graduated stick taking soundings. A fourth, armed, Coot to keep the hungry carp away from the wader would be useful. <g>

https://preview.tinyurl.com/FRidgeSlips

http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/teacup/willamette/frn.pdf

Next Thursday, for a start? We don't need to do it all in one day, since we can coordinate our measurements with the Corps' frequent updates:

https://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/dd/common/web_service/webexec/html?id=FRN.Elev-Forebay.Inst.0.0.Best%3Aunits%3DFT&lookback=48h&lookforward=1h0m

Literally no man has more wholly outlived life than I. And still it's good fun. (Robert Louis Stevenson)

Bob Larkin

Good project, John.  After we talked about this, I walked along the marina thinking about what the issues might be.  One thought was that sharp objects might be down there.  Another is that, in places the blue-green algae stuff is showing up, and that should be avoided.

As an alternative, how about if a line was tied to each end of a kayak, about 100 ft long.  The line would have tape marks every 10 ft.   Two people would move the kayak back and forth between docks at the center of each slip.  The line handlers would not go out on fingers.  The kayak guy would have a calibrated pole, of course.  This might be pretty fast and minimum time would be spent learning where the measurement person was at.  The slip numbers obviously set a coordinate system.  I have 100 feet of floating polypropylene line.  Most people must have some of that yellow stuff.  BiMart for sure.  I could bring a kayak on Thursday.    Bob

On 9/12/2021 11:27 AM, Bob L wrote:
[...]
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. (Niels Bohr)