Richardson and other reservations

Electri-Cal

Just tried to get this years prices on slips.  Apparently there are no slips available for the coots coming event, but I don't believe that.  I do believe the site is wrong, so Just have to show up and see what happens.  Still looking at that mast, and 2 sails from other projects, maybe yet this week I could figure a decent down wind rig just for the heck of it.  I was impressed with the kayak flying a round sail at Dexter a while ago, I ought to be able to come up with something.

I could try using that "slip on" sabot dinghy sail I have.  Fast is not important, just a battery saver, and seeing if my somewhat slow steering with Surprises normally fully submerged chine would work instead of a leaboard,  Maybe make an added shallow drop board to help turning speed, or slide it to balance the helm.   If it doesn't work easy, I'm still not out anything, just curious.

There's been another change in management at Lane County Parks, and they seem to have fired everybody who knew anything. <sigh> To reserve a slip at Richardson, call the _Richardson Park_ office:

541-935-2005

The County is desperate for money, so be careful to display your season pass when parking at any on the parks. The way I've heard it explained -- I know it makes no sense -- is that the County doesn't have a law that lets them issue parking tickets, so They charge you with trespassing and slap you with a $140-some-odd dollar fine if you violate the parking rules. If you're a trailer sailer, be sure to get off the lake and out of the parking lots by sundown. They decided not to sell overnight season passes to anyone but slipholders. <sigh> I was also warned that They started enforcing a rule against parking trailers in the marina parking lots if they aren't attached to a vehicle. <sigh>

Please complain to Lane County Parks about these customer-unfriendly changes. Fines aren't the right way to fund the parks. Whenever you contact the County throw in a little praise for Sarah Ward and the wonderful way she's run Richardson Park. She and her crew hate the policy changes at least as much as we do.

On 4/11/2021 6:50 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Just tried to get this years prices on slips.  Apparently there are no slips available for the coots coming event, but I don't believe that.  I do believe the site is wrong, so Just have to show up and see what happens. ...
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. (Mark Twain)

cherrill boissonou

Yo John,
I’ll be happy to let someone raft with me at my slip....was going down on the 15th in case Dan almost.. shows up. Have the launch docks been re bumpered?
Earl🧙‍♂️🌝⚓️

On Apr 11, 2021, at 4:40 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

[...]

elaineginader

I just spoke with Sara (supper nice lady) there are slips available and yes they cost I believe 32.00 or something for the weekend and she says there are some available. Parking permits are 5.00 each day and with a slip you can access it with your boat. Seasonal passes are 40.00. Give her a call, she's very understanding.

Elaine

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021, 4:40 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
There's been another change in management at Lane County Parks, and they
seem to have fired everybody who knew anything. <sigh> To reserve a slip
at Richardson, call the _Richardson Park_ office:

541-935-2005

The County is desperate for money, so be careful to display your season
pass when parking at any on the parks. The way I've heard it explained
-- I know it makes no sense -- is that the County doesn't have a law
that lets them issue parking tickets, so They charge you with
trespassing and slap you with a $140-some-odd dollar fine if you violate
the parking rules. If you're a trailer sailer, be sure to get off the
lake and out of the parking lots by sundown. They decided not to sell
overnight season passes to anyone but slipholders. <sigh> I was also
warned that They started enforcing a rule against parking trailers in
the marina parking lots if they aren't attached to a vehicle. <sigh>

Please complain to Lane County Parks about these customer-unfriendly
changes. Fines aren't the right way to fund the parks. Whenever you
contact the County throw in a little praise for Sarah Ward and the
wonderful way she's run Richardson Park. She and her crew hate the
policy changes at least as much as we do.

On 4/11/2021 6:50 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
> Just tried to get this years prices on slips.  Apparently there are no
> slips available for the coots coming event, but I don't believe that.  I
> do believe the site is wrong, so Just have to show up and see what
> happens.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. (Mark Twain)

Did Sarah say that you need to get a parking pass even if you rent a transient slip? I hope you're mistaken about that. An overnight parking pass used to come with a slip rental. There's a discount on the season pass if you're over 62, but that's just the dawn to dusk permit. I guess they raised the daily parking fee another dollar to $5 this year. <sigh>
Still, we're a LOT cheaper than some of the marinas Up North. At Port Townsend it's $15 just to launch your boat! (but they do let you pull it out without additional charge). <sigh> When my late friend Dunaway had his boat up there he said that the only things that they know how to say at the Port Office are, "No!" and "pay here"...

Sarah is a treasure! :o) Before she was recruited to take over the concession for Richardson, we not only had a hostile County Parks management, we also had a TERRIBLE park host. <sigh> For a short while there was enlightened management at the parks Dept. Triton YC held a meeting with the Parks management where Fern Ridge users nicely told them what they could do to make the parks on the lake more appealing to users. They listened! :o) One of the things they did was recruit Sarah, and she really turned Richardson Park around. Now there's a rumor that they want to squeeze her out after this year. <sigh>

On 4/11/2021 4:52 PM, elaine wrote:
I just spoke with Sara (supper nice lady) there are slips available and yes they cost I believe 32.00 or something for the weekend and she says there are some available. Parking permits are 5.00 each day and with a slip you can access it with your boat. Seasonal passes are 40.00. Give her a call, she's very understanding.
541-935-2005
That's the terrible hypnotism of war, the brute mass-impulse, the pride and national spirit, the instinctive simplicity of men that makes them worship what is their own above everything else. I've thrilled and shouted with patriotic pride, like everyone else. Music and flags and men marching in step have bewitched me, as they do all of us. And then I've gone home and sworn to root this evil instinct out of my soul. God help -- let's love the world, love humanity -- not just our own country! (Christopher Morley)

I haven't launched Lazy Jack yet, so haven't noticed if they've replaced the bumper strips. They hadn't the last time I paid any attention to them earlier this year. I'd be real surprised if they did replace the bumpers. That's the sort of thing unskilled volunteers could do, but the County is scared of letting anybody but their own workers or licensed and bonded contractors do any work. <sigh>

On 4/11/2021 4:52 PM, Earl wrote:
Yo John,
I’ll be happy to let someone raft with me at my slip....was going down on the 15th in case Dan almost.. shows up. Have the launch docks been re bumpered?
He used statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts; for support rather than illumination. (Andrew Lang)

Jove Lachman-Curl

There is a new caretaker guy living in his trailer at Richardson, He seems quite friendly.
He is still finding the ropes.
-Jove

On 4/11/2021 4:52 PM, Earl wrote:
> Yo John,
> I’ll be happy to let someone raft with me at my slip....was going down on the 15th in case Dan almost.. shows up. Have the launch docks been re bumpered?

He used statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts; for support rather
than illumination. (Andrew Lang)

I'm pretty sure his name is Ron (it takes a few times for a name to stick in my memory <g>), from Florida. He's real friendly and seems like he'll be a good marina host, if we don't scare him away. His wife, Tasha I think, will be joining him soon. How's the new marina host at Orchard Point?

On 4/14/2021 8:45 AM, Jove wrote:
There is a new caretaker guy living in his trailer at Richardson, He seems quite friendly.
He is still finding the ropes.
If you can get nothing better out of the world, get a good dinner out of it, at least. (Herman Melville)

Jove Lachman-Curl

I've not met the host at Orchard point yet, I'll report back when I do.
-Jove

On 4/14/2021 8:45 AM, Jove wrote:
> There is a new caretaker guy living in his trailer at Richardson, He
> seems quite friendly.
> He is still finding the ropes.

If you can get nothing better out of the world, get a good dinner out of
it, at least. (Herman Melville)

Thinking about bumper strips, I'm thinking I might as well pack along a couple extras from old and sold boats.  Take along to tie off to the dock cleats, while i'm renting it.  Instead of festooning the hull with white or black bumpers just put some on the cleats, maybe one more amidships on board, where I can drop it over as needed.  Don't know if that would work, but a short walk through of ths slip would allow a check out and maybe a pre docking installation.  Getting darn sick of hoping somebody else will work on docks.

I have seen a couple cheap vinyl life cushions hooked over and cleated off with good area for sliding into place on docks, flat surface area doesn't roll out of the contact area as much.  Might as well figure all rental slips are not well maintained.  Thanks for the heads up, there used to be "T" fittings that twist fitted between boards to hold bumpers, now maybe an extra dock line fore and aft would allow for better bumper fitment..

More Fern Ridge lack of "give a whit", what else is new -- Grimble !! -    Cal

Jove Lachman-Curl

I saw a slip at orchard point where someone had installed 8" diameter wheels on the corner of their slip entrance. Lots of the slips had extra fender strips of various types added.
This might be obvious to all, but I've become a big fan of spring lines fore and aft. Then I rock, push and pull my boat to make sure she's set.
image.png
-Jove

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 7:40 AM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
[...]

After I'd launched today and we'd gone for a little boat ride and I'd tied Lazy Jack up in her slip on E Dock, Earl told me that They _finally_ replaced the bumper strips on the docks at the Richardson launch ramp. But I didn't even notice! ;o)

The bumper strips on the finger docks on E Dock are in good shape. The trouble is they only give us two cleats, right at the ends. :o( A cleat near the middle is awfully handy, and not just for spring lines. I put in another cleat on the port side of my slip, because, for no reason I can think of, I like to moor my sailboats port side to the dock. But I moor my motorboat, Lazy Jack, starboard side to the dock -- for a good reason, the helm is on that side. There's nothing to grab or get a line on within reach of the helm. <sigh> I think I've got another cleat somewhere...

Last year I ran a line between the cleats on the port side of my slip to have something to grab. Worked good.

I've found that one spring line works fine, but it sure doesn't hurt to have more.

Earl used to have a wheel on the corner of his dock, but took it off last year. This evening when we took Dr. Petra over to his slip he hit the projecting chunk of wood that once held the wheel...

On 4/15/2021 3:53 PM, Jove wrote:
I saw a slip at orchard point where someone had installed 8" diameter wheels on the corner of their slip entrance. Lots of the slips had extra fender strips of various types added.
This might be obvious to all, but I've become a big fan of spring lines fore and aft. Then I rock, push and pull my boat to make sure she's set.
Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of science makes skepticism a virtue. (Robert King Merton)

Jove Lachman-Curl

I've seen pretty nice cleats cut from a piece of white oak.
-Jove