Pat Pateson's Scandal For Sale

I had a long talk with Kay this evening. She's beginning to clear out the shop and boats on her property, and specifically wanted help selling Pat's Scandal.

I'm terrible about placing a value on boats. I have no idea what Scandal (the boat's name as well as its design) is worth. Can any of you Coots help? What's this boat worth. Be honest. What would YOU sell it for?

https://preview.tinyurl.com/dze6wvua

or

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=43145927%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&text=scandal&view_all=1

Pat built the boat to William Atkin's Scandal design from the 1920s, but using plywood planking. Scandal was designed to get "high" speed from the 3 hp. outboard motors that were the norm Back Then, but also be a useful everyday boat. Pat's Scandal worked very well, going "fast" and being a good boat for just messing about:

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Oar/Scandal.html

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/projects/scandal/

Pat's boat is built very well, but he didn't use the best quality plywood. His son pulled it out of storage the other day and it was dry and in excellent condition. It's on a modified lightweight Hobie Cat trailer and comes with an early '70s vintage (or thereabouts, see pictures) Johnnyrude 4 hp. motor that ran good when it was parked, and has been stored in the shop. Kay said there's a set of oars from their Rapid Robert that she'll throw in. If I didn't already have too many boats I'd be awfully tempted to buy the Scandal. <g> It's a handy sort of boat to have around. Quick and easy to launch and retrieve. Doesn't use much gas. Good for poking around the interesting corners we Coots like. :o)

You can find discussions about building Scandal in the group archives:

https://groups.io/g/oregoncoots/topics

I just think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order to play rugby. (Rupert Giles on American football)

David Graybeal

I took a peek at it the other day when I was out there also, and it looked like it hasn't suffered at all from a long outdoor (under tarp) storage. Pat did his usual solid job of construction. The outboard was a good, reliable, runner every time I was around it. Paint job is Pat's usual good/not fancy work.

Hard to know how to price it. Boat, trailer, outboard, oars. Maybe $1,00 - 1,500? It's really worth more than that... but hard to sell a quirky used boat. Maybe if advertised at the right venue??

Some of these photos are different...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiD9HYfX

On 6/11/2021 10:01 PM, I wrote:
[...]
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it. (Thomas Jefferson)

The motor is a 1969 Evinrude 4HP “Yacht Twin”. Those things are just about indestructible, and the parts that can fail are still available.

I'm afraid you're right about odd little homemade boats not bringing top dollar, and it's hard to find a a buyer who'll appreciate them as well. <sigh> When I get a couple of recent photos I plan on listing it on the Pocket Yachters for sale page. That'll reach some folks who like our kind of boats.

The article Pat wrote for Duckworks pretty well says everything about the construction and performance of his Scandal:

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/projects/scandal/

A while back the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding built a batch of Scandals, and called them _rowboats_! Somebody there was unclear on the concept. <g> I'll bet that wouldn't have happened on Pete's watch. ;o) The Atkins designed a bunch of good flat-bottom skiff rowboats, and combination oar and outboard boats they could have built if they wanted rowboats...

I knew I could count on Pete. :o) When the School built a Scandal in 2013 there was none of that nonsense about calling it a rowboat. <g> I wonder if seeing Pat's Scandal at the PT Festival is what prompted the NWSWB to build them?

https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-launchings/scandal-skiff

On 6/11/2021 10:23 PM, David G wrote:
I took a peek at it the other day when I was out there also, and it looked like it hasn't suffered at all from a long outdoor (under tarp) storage. Pat did his usual solid job of construction. The outboard was a good, reliable, runner every time I was around it. Paint job is Pat's usual good/not fancy work.
Hard to know how to price it. Boat, trailer, outboard, oars. Maybe $1,00 - 1,500? It's really worth more than that... but hard to sell a quirky used boat. Maybe if advertised at the right venue??
And I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different. (Kurt Vonnegut)

Pete Leenhouts

John, the back story to that first Scandal at the Boat School is that I found an article about it and its plans in one of the "Motorboating" books, looked it up online in the Atkin catalog, and found Pat's article on Duckworks. After I corresponded with Mrs Atkin, I talked one of the instructors into building the boat.

The first boats built back then at the School were intentionally as simple as possible. The Scandal fit the bill quite nicely, and the students enjoyed building the boat under the instructor's guidance.

The article I wrote for Duckworks about the launch is here: Duckworks - Boat School Launch First Boats (duckworksmagazine.com)

I took a whole series of photos of the Boat School's Scandal under construction and during the launch. Here are a representative few. Once on Flickr, I used the search term "Atkin Scandal NWSWBB" to find the pictures.

Pete Leenhouts
Port Ludlow WA