Topics

Old Tools

dan mulholland

I thought this group might be interested in this.  My father made this cabinet and these were some of his tools.  Until yesterday, it had casters and handles on the back, as this was made to take to job sites, as he was a cabinet maker at that time.  I don't know how it would have worked, loaded, it's heavy.  So, most everything in here dates to before the 1960's, I'd guess, and some is pre WW11.   I have this because about 20 years ago the cabinet maker that  bought the shop, who'd stored it since the 1960's, wanted  one of us to have it and I was in the phone book.  I returned it to my father, and got it back when he died.  Took me a while to get around to putting it back together.  Clearly he liked  quality  tools.  It's a neat project, a lot of thought went into it.

David Graybeal

Handy, indeed. It's an age-old problem for those of us who drag our tools along to jobsites or dockside.

Stephen Miller

Dan that is so cool.  Love that you have your dad's tools.

Steve Miller

Jim Young

Cherish the history. You are a lucky soul.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 20:38 dan mulholland <mulhollanddr@... wrote:
I thought this group might be interested in this.  My father made this cabinet and these were some of his tools.  Until yesterday, it had casters and handles on the back, as this was made to take to job sites, as he was a cabinet maker at that time.  I don't know how it would have worked, loaded, it's heavy.  So, most everything in here dates to before the 1960's, I'd guess, and some is pre WW11.   I have this because about 20 years ago the cabinet maker that  bought the shop, who'd stored it since the 1960's, wanted  one of us to have it and I was in the phone book.  I returned it to my father, and got it back when he died.  Took me a while to get around to putting it back together.  Clearly he liked  quality  tools.  It's a neat project, a lot of thought went into it.

Five or so different handsaws, brace and bits, many screwdrivers…..the needs have changed over the years yet the work remains much the same…

Rich

On Jun 23, 2020, at 10:18 PM, Jim Young <somersailing@...> wrote:

[...]

<image.png><image.png><image.png><image.png>

Brandon

I used to be a member of the PNTC (Pacific Northwest Tool Collectors club). Something like this is every tool collector’s dream. The whole thing really is greater than the sum of its parts. That said, the bench rabbit plane is worth $$$ if it is a Stanley.

I kept hoping I would find a chest of shipwrights tools that someone left in an attic. No such luck. I did have lots of nice tools before I sold them to go cruising. (Totally worth it, btw.)

Before anyone panics, I did keep my favorite users. Most are under the workbench on Oceanus.

Brandon
SV Oceanus, 1971 Columbia 43
Olympia