Now We Know Somebody Else With the COVID


 

Bob Mitsch is in the hospital in Stayton with the coronavirus. He was diagnosed about Christmas and had been at home, but hadn't been eating and was getting worse, so his wife called an ambulance and he got hauled off to the hospital. Yesterday? His sister in law called me, and as often happens, we talked for an hour and a half, so I forgot the details of what she said at the start of the call. ;o) At any rate, Bob is on oxygen, but not a ventilator. I'm sure he's feeling completely miserable. :o( But he's got professionals looking after him now. Good thing Bob is a tough Ol' Coot.

Jan's computer is dead so she can't post updates here, but I asked her to keep me in the loop.

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not. (Samuel Johnson)

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Andrew Linn
 

Gorram it.

Guys, the sniffles ain't the sniffles. A little cough isn't a little cough. And pretty please, wear your masks.

On 1/2/2021 8:58 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Bob Mitsch is in the hospital in Stayton with the coronavirus. He was diagnosed about Christmas and had been at home, but hadn't been eating and was getting worse, so his wife called an ambulance and he got hauled off to the hospital. Yesterday? His sister in law called me, and as often happens, we talked for an hour and a half, so I forgot the details of what she said at the start of the call. ;o) At any rate, Bob is on oxygen, but not a ventilator. I'm sure he's feeling completely miserable. :o( But he's got professionals looking after him now. Good thing Bob is a tough Ol' Coot.

Jan's computer is dead so she can't post updates here, but I asked her to keep me in the loop.


cherrill boissonou
 

Wishing Bob strength in his recovery. Sorry to hear this news.
Earl

On Jan 2, 2021, at 9:22 PM, Andrew Linn <alinn@andrewlinn.com> wrote:

Gorram it.

Guys, the sniffles ain't the sniffles. A little cough isn't a little cough. And pretty please, wear your masks.

On 1/2/2021 8:58 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Bob Mitsch is in the hospital in Stayton with the coronavirus. He was diagnosed about Christmas and had been at home, but hadn't been eating and was getting worse, so his wife called an ambulance and he got hauled off to the hospital. Yesterday? His sister in law called me, and as often happens, we talked for an hour and a half, so I forgot the details of what she said at the start of the call. ;o) At any rate, Bob is on oxygen, but not a ventilator. I'm sure he's feeling completely miserable. :o( But he's got professionals looking after him now. Good thing Bob is a tough Ol' Coot.

Jan's computer is dead so she can't post updates here, but I asked her to keep me in the loop.





 

Latest word is that Bob got moved to a hospital in Salem because of breathing problems.

Take care of yourselves.

On 1/3/2021 1:31 AM, Earl wrote:
Wishing Bob strength in his recovery. Sorry to hear this news.

On 1/2/2021 8:58 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Bob Mitsch is in the hospital in Stayton with the coronavirus. He was diagnosed about Christmas and had been at home, but hadn't been eating and was getting worse, so his wife called an ambulance and he got hauled off to the hospital. Yesterday? His sister in law called me, and as often happens, we talked for an hour and a half, so I forgot the details of what she said at the start of the call. ;o) At any rate, Bob is on oxygen, but not a ventilator. I'm sure he's feeling completely miserable. :o( But he's got professionals looking after him now. Good thing Bob is a tough Ol' Coot.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
To read fast is as bad as to eat in a hurry. (Vilhelm Ekelund)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Case Turner
 

Hoping Bob makes a full recovery.

Play safe and wear your masks. Avoid large gatherings.

We’ve been keeping our bubble small and playing by the rules to ensure that our family beats this virus.

Case

Sent from not here

On Jan 3, 2021, at 8:46 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

Latest word is that Bob got moved to a hospital in Salem because of breathing problems.

Take care of yourselves.

On 1/3/2021 1:31 AM, Earl wrote:
Wishing Bob strength in his recovery. Sorry to hear this news.

On 1/2/2021 8:58 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Bob Mitsch is in the hospital in Stayton with the coronavirus. He was diagnosed about Christmas and had been at home, but hadn't been eating and was getting worse, so his wife called an ambulance and he got hauled off to the hospital. Yesterday? His sister in law called me, and as often happens, we talked for an hour and a half, so I forgot the details of what she said at the start of the call. ;o) At any rate, Bob is on oxygen, but not a ventilator. I'm sure he's feeling completely miserable. :o( But he's got professionals looking after him now. Good thing Bob is a tough Ol' Coot.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
To read fast is as bad as to eat in a hurry. (Vilhelm Ekelund)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com





--
Dirt


Myles Twete
 

People and their 'bubbles'...it works until it doesn't. Visualize Venn diagrams and you'll see that they must be very small or else.

Avoid 'any' gatherings where people take their masks off and get within 6ft of each other or are sharing indoor air space at all.

People still are wearing masks 'only because they have to'. How can you tell? Watch their behavior at an outdoor restaurant---they get their table, sit down and off come the masks. The 'rules' don't require them to wear a mask when seated and so, by golly, they're not going to wear them. The thoughtful mask wearers are the exception. Sure, you have to pull your mask up or off when eating and drinking, but c'mon, sitting at a table, laughing out loud, yelling to other tables or the waitron, it's disgusting. No wonder we have long been tagged as the "Ugly Americans" internationally. Thoughtless and rude.
Don't get me started on retail workers...they seem to think that 6ft separation only applies to the clients.

Be safe and avoid the idiots---land is in sight now and it's a bad time to be drowning...

-MylesT


Mark Neuhaus
 

Supposedly, wearing the mask will stop the droplets from entering or exiting. So when you take your mask down or off, chances are you will contaminate your hands if the virus is on the mask.  If you then touch your face openings without cleaning your hands, you've negated the protection your mask was supposed to afford you. When I get home from an outside trip, the mask gets washed, as do my hands. How hard can that be to try to stay alive?


Jove Lachman-Curl
 

Thanks for the reminder on sterilizing masks Mark,
It is all pretty tiresome at this point and the vigilance reminder is appreciated.
-Jove

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:20 AM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:
Supposedly, wearing the mask will stop the droplets from entering or exiting. So when you take your mask down or off, chances are you will contaminate your hands if the virus is on the mask.  If you then touch your face openings without cleaning your hands, you've negated the protection your mask was supposed to afford you. When I get home from an outside trip, the mask gets washed, as do my hands. How hard can that be to try to stay alive?


 

While it's been shown that masks do reduce your chances of getting the covid, their main benefit is protecting _others_ from you, if you're harboring the virus. So even if you think you're immortal, wear a mask because the rest of us aren't. Not wearing a mask, or wearing one improperly, demonstrates a complete disregard for the health of others.

Steering close to "politics" I know, but something as easy and effective as wearing a mask during a pandemic _shouldn't_ have anything to do with politics. <sigh>

Take care of yourselves.

On 1/4/2021 11:29 AM, Jove wrote:
Thanks for the reminder on sterilizing masks Mark,
It is all pretty tiresome at this point and the vigilance reminder is appreciated.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Patriotism is proud of a country's virtues and eager to correct its deficiencies; it also acknowledges the legitimate patriotism of other countries, with their own specific virtues. The pride of nationalism, however, trumpets its country's virtues and denies its deficiencies, while it is contemptuous toward the virtues of other countries. It wants to be, and proclaims itself to be, "the greatest", but greatness is not required of a country; only goodness is. (Sydney J. Harris)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Myles Twete
 

"Take care of yourselves" so that you protect others. I WOULD be okay with anyone who wants to be cavalier, if not for the fact that their willingness to get and spread the virus to others who are vulnerable is worse than reckless. Hospitals and ICUs are at capacity, first responders overtaxed and as much as we all want this to be over, but it ain't. We are near 1100deaths/1M pop. Norway is 14x less, at 82.
A former coworker told me at the beginning of March that the problem will be hospital capacity, ventilators and having enough health care workers. "If you're going to get CoVid", he said, "it's best to get it now than later when you can't get treatment".
We know the guy who said "this is ridiculous, people are tired of having to wear masks, we just want to get together". A week later, that guy got CoVid---oddly, not from exposure to his maskless buddies at the picnic table at the bar, but instead from his 'bubble' --- he's a part-time caretaker for a wealthy couple in Portland who gave him his own flat with a view in exchange for being their chauffer and caretaker...evidently one of their children was in the bubble and they all got CV.
People who don't know people with CV think this is political. It's real and it's real sad at this point for anyone to not do what they can to make it the last leg. I really don't want my dad to be the next one at his care facility to get CV before they get immunized.

Stay safe. Stay distant.


 

Just got an update from Jan. Bob is sedated and on a ventilator. This is not good news. <sigh> He’s getting "2 Meds to help kill the virus", and his Doctor is consulting with a specialist in Portland. Bob's in a hard fight, but he's tough Ol' Coot.

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. (Logan Pearsall Smith)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Andrew Linn
 

Can we do anything for his wife? Does she need food, transport? Flowers?

On 1/4/2021 8:27 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Just got an update from Jan. Bob is sedated and on a ventilator. This is not good news. <sigh> He’s getting "2 Meds to help kill the virus", and his Doctor is consulting with a specialist in Portland. Bob's in a hard fight, but he's tough Ol' Coot.


 

Bob's wife, Janice, needs to be tested for the covid. We've gotta assume she's got it, until proven otherwise. Is there any sort of mobile test program in Linn County? Who's gonna want to get in a car with someone who's probably got the Virus... They live in "downtown" Scio, so getting food probably isn't a problem without a car.

Janice has had more health problems in the past than Bob. If she were to get a bad case of the covid, I'm afraid she'd have an even harder time than Bob. But the virus is fickle, and may not touch her at all...

On 1/4/2021 8:34 PM, Andrew wrote:
Can we do anything for his wife? Does she need food, transport? Flowers?
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday. (Don Marquis)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Andrew Linn
 

I can do it tomorrow. I'll be happy to.  If it can't be tomorrow, I need to know when so I can take time off.

I've had covid. I'm immune.

On 1/4/2021 8:46 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Bob's wife, Janice, needs to be tested for the covid. We've gotta assume she's got it, until proven otherwise. Is there any sort of mobile test program in Linn County? Who's gonna want to get in a car with someone who's probably got the Virus... They live in "downtown" Scio, so getting food probably isn't a problem without a car.

Janice has had more health problems in the past than Bob. If she were to get a bad case of the covid, I'm afraid she'd have an even harder time than Bob. But the virus is fickle, and may not touch her at all...

On 1/4/2021 8:34 PM, Andrew wrote:
Can we do anything for his wife? Does she need food, transport? Flowers?


Jove Lachman-Curl
 

Andrew, that is really kind of you....You now for a period of time, have a superpower.
I just learned last night that a close friend in Eugene has it as of yesterday, aches, sweats, fever so far. He's in his 30s so we hope it won't be to bad.

I have a lot of family in the UK, Numbers in Wales are 10x the US average and 20x the Lane county numbers,
They have the 2 new strains which are accelerating infection rates. I think It'll be an interesting year again.
Stay safe all!

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 9:16 PM Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:
I can do it tomorrow. I'll be happy to.  If it can't be tomorrow, I need
to know when so I can take time off.

I've had covid. I'm immune.

On 1/4/2021 8:46 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
> Bob's wife, Janice, needs to be tested for the covid. We've gotta
> assume she's got it, until proven otherwise. Is there any sort of
> mobile test program in Linn County? Who's gonna want to get in a car
> with someone who's probably got the Virus... They live in "downtown"
> Scio, so getting food probably isn't a problem without a car.
>
> Janice has had more health problems in the past than Bob. If she were
> to get a bad case of the covid, I'm afraid she'd have an even harder
> time than Bob. But the virus is fickle, and may not touch her at all...
>
> On 1/4/2021 8:34 PM, Andrew wrote:
>> Can we do anything for his wife? Does she need food, transport? Flowers?
>>
>







 

An update on Bob from Jan, his sister in law. As the docs said, it can take quite a while to recover from a bad dose of the covid.

"Update Thurs. 7th: after Janice called this morning......was hoping for better news today. They said he was moving around a little in bed even sedated, so that was a glimmer of hope, & turned down his oxygen to 50% yesterday to see how’d he do, but had to go back up to 60 & then 80% last night. His blood pressure is still low, getting Meds for that yet. They told Janice that sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks for the Ventilator to work for a person.

"So not what we were hoping for as of today. Still needs bushels of prayers yet & we all Thank You for them!! Be Safe everyone an BE careful who you talk with it they don’t have a mask on; WEAR your masks & wash your hand(Often).❤️🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️to you all. Janice did get a way in to be tested; her test can back NEGATIVE 👏🏼👏🏼 !!!!
Till next time!!"

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
You can tell the size of a man by the size of the thing that makes him mad. (Adlai Stevenson)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Jove Lachman-Curl
 

Glad to hear Janice got away with it.
I have a close call with a covid exposure, new years eve, I'm getting tested tomorrow which will be 7 days, so that should be long enough to incubate.
Getting tested too soon can give a negative that will still develop into a case later and give a false sense of security.
Good luck to all.
-Jove

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 2:07 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
An update on Bob from Jan, his sister in law. As the docs said, it can
take quite a while to recover from a bad dose of the covid.

"Update Thurs. 7th:  after Janice called this morning......was hoping
for better news today. They said he was moving around a little in bed
even sedated, so that was a glimmer of hope, & turned down his oxygen to
50% yesterday to see how’d he do, but had to go back up to 60 & then 80%
last night. His blood pressure is still low, getting Meds for that yet.
They told Janice that sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks for the Ventilator to
work for a person.

"So not what we were hoping for as of today. Still needs bushels of
prayers yet & we all Thank You for them!! Be Safe everyone an BE careful
who you talk with it they don’t have a mask on; WEAR your masks & wash
your hand(Often).❤️🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️to you all. Janice did get a way in to be
tested; her test can back NEGATIVE 👏🏼👏🏼 !!!!
Till next time!!"

--
John <jkohnen@...>
You can tell the size of a man by the size of the thing that makes him
mad. (Adlai Stevenson)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com







Jamie Orr
 

Really sorry to hear Bob is so sick, hoping he bounces back.  If you're able to communicate with him anytime, tell him I was asking after him.

Jamie


Michael Bogoger
 

Bob didn't make it. Our good friend passed over the bar last night. 1/14/2021. Good man. :-(


elaineginader
 

Sad day 


On Fri, Jan 15, 2021, 9:47 PM Michael Bogoger <mbogoger@...> wrote:
Bob didn't make it. Our good friend passed over the bar last night. 1/14/2021. Good man. :-(