Topics

Next Year's Yaquina Floats

I'm working on getting all the Coot outdoor events scheduled for next year. Looking at the tide predictions I see that the moon and sun are gonna get together and give us some _really good_ new moon tides for the Yaquina River floats next year, and on weekends! :o)

Elk City to Cannon Quarry, Saturday, Nov. 6
High tide: 9.8 at about 3:15 (a bit late) at Elk City
Low tide: -1.5
Difference: 11.3' at Toledo.

Cannon Quarry to Airport Ramp, Saturday, Dec. 4th
High tide: 10.2 at about 12:30 at Cannon Quarry
Low tide: -1.8
Difference: 12' at Toledo!!

The start time at Elk City will be kinda late, but the current will really be pushing us along, so I hope that'll work out OK. We could start an hour earlier if we did the float on Friday, and we'd still get 11' of tidal drop pushing us, but that'd keep working Coots away. <sigh> I'll take suggestions about whether to go with a weekend day and stronger tide, or a better start time and still strong tide, but no Elaine, and other working Coots.

The unrestricted competition so commonly advocated does not leave us the survival of the fittest. The unscrupulous succeed best in accumulating wealth. (Rutherford B. Hayes)

Mark Neuhaus

Hi John,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 1:12 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

11' of tidal drop pushing us, but that'd keep working Coots away. <sigh>
I'll take suggestions about whether to go with a weekend day and
stronger tide, or a better start time and still strong tide, but no
Elaine, and other working Coots.

Or, since we've missed so many messabouts this year, you could make it a multi-day outing, with folks coming for either/both days.  Camping in vehicles or boats at the docks? If one day on the water is good, two must be great!

Mark

elaineginader

I agree with Mark and my job will let me take the days off.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 7:58 AM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:
Hi John,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 1:12 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

11' of tidal drop pushing us, but that'd keep working Coots away. <sigh>
I'll take suggestions about whether to go with a weekend day and
stronger tide, or a better start time and still strong tide, but no
Elaine, and other working Coots.

Or, since we've missed so many messabouts this year, you could make it a multi-day outing, with folks coming for either/both days.  Camping in vehicles or boats at the docks? If one day on the water is good, two must be great!

Mark

elaineginader

Thank you for thinking of me John so that I can join as much of the Coots events. My job is finally allowing me to take days off if I tell them a few days in advance. Nice of them (sigh). Spending the night would be a blast.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 8:20 AM elaineginader via groups.io <elaineginader=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree with Mark and my job will let me take the days off.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 7:58 AM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:
Hi John,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 1:12 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

11' of tidal drop pushing us, but that'd keep working Coots away. <sigh>
I'll take suggestions about whether to go with a weekend day and
stronger tide, or a better start time and still strong tide, but no
Elaine, and other working Coots.

Or, since we've missed so many messabouts this year, you could make it a multi-day outing, with folks coming for either/both days.  Camping in vehicles or boats at the docks? If one day on the water is good, two must be great!

Mark

Richard Green

11’ of tidal drop conjures up the short story, Descent Into the Maelstrom, to me.

Rich

On Nov 16, 2020, at 7:57 AM, Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:

Hi John,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 1:12 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

11' of tidal drop pushing us, but that'd keep working Coots away. <sigh>
I'll take suggestions about whether to go with a weekend day and
stronger tide, or a better start time and still strong tide, but no
Elaine, and other working Coots.

Or, since we've missed so many messabouts this year, you could make it a multi-day outing, with folks coming for either/both days.  Camping in vehicles or boats at the docks? If one day on the water is good, two must be great!

Mark

Bob Larkin

Mark's idea of 2-days could be interesting with a first day involving going upstream on the Yaquina R., Big Elk Creek, or both.  The water supports going quite a distance, with the farthest being on the Yaquina.     If the trees-across-the-water problem is under control,  Big Elk Creek can be worthwhile and fun, also.

On leaving times, if it has been raining, the river flow added to the tidal flow will tend to suggest an earlier slack water time at Elk City.  This might be a ha;f hour or more.  Also, the tidal part of the  current vs. time curve follows a sine wave with the last hour or so of the incoming water being quite slow.  Because of this, cheating a bit on the departure time  does not present a big problem with river current.  So, how about a 2 PM departure from Elk City on Saturday?

12' drop for the After Thanksgiving float!! It could like going down a log flume if it rains a bunch before the float. <g> You've gotta be careful coming into the Airport Ramp dock when the ebb current is flowing strong.

The last few days the high tides at Toledo have been less than 10', but they got a lot of rain upriver (you can look at the Port's F******k page without signing in):

https://www.facebook.com/portoftoledoOregon/

Saturday 2020-11-14 New Moon
High Tide: 11:38 AM PST 9.7

Sunday 2020-11-15
High Tide: 12:18 PM PST 9.9

Monday 2020-11-16
High Tide: 1:00 PM PST 9.9

On 11/16/2020 10:51 AM, Rich G wrote:
11’ of tidal drop conjures up the short story, Descent Into the Maelstrom, to me.
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease. (Alexander Pope)

We did an Elk City messabout during spring tides in the summer of 2003. I got up to the bridge at Pioneer on the Yaquina in the McKenzie Skiff before there were too many logs across the river, but there were a lot of sunken logs not very deep below the surface. It could be hard to miss them when the water is turbid. The day before, we went a few miles up Big Elk Creek. It was a good messabout! :o) But you can't keep your boat at the dock overnight (might be able to get away with it on the inside of the dock), so you've gotta tie up to the bank and deal with the tide. Small boats only above Elk City -- not recommended for Lazy Jack or Dr. Petra. And there are noseeums in the bushes at the Elk City park in the summer. <g>

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjPWPTRq

The flood tide will be running real slow for a while before slack, but if we leave early we'll have less of the fun of roaring along with a strong ebb behind us. It would be best if we could wait until an hour _after_ slack before starting, but the timing of the tides works against that.

On 11/16/2020 3:51 PM, Bob L wrote:
Mark's idea of 2-days could be interesting with a first day involving going upstream on the Yaquina R., Big Elk Creek, or both.  The water supports going quite a distance, with the farthest being on the Yaquina.     If the trees-across-the-water problem is under control,  Big Elk Creek can be worthwhile and fun, also.
On leaving times, if it has been raining, the river flow added to the tidal flow will tend to suggest an earlier slack water time at Elk City.  This might be a ha;f hour or more.  Also, the tidal part of the current vs. time curve follows a sine wave with the last hour or so of the incoming water being quite slow.  Because of this, cheating a bit on the departure time  does not present a big problem with river current. So, how about a 2 PM departure from Elk City on Saturday?
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. (Catherine the Great)

Ok, I'm inclined to move the float from Elk City to Friday, Nov. 5th, or a two day affair with the float downriver starting late on Saturday (only a little later than this year, and we'll be going faster). It would be even better if we could do a two day messabout starting Thursday, and exploring up Big Elk Creek or the Yaquina River the first day, but that would mean having to take two days off work. The tide is about an hour later at Elk City than these predictions at Toledo:

Thursday 2021-11-04 New Moon
Sunrise 7:57 AM PDT, Sunset 6:00 PM PDT
Moonrise 7:36 AM PDT, Moonset 6:07 PM PDT
High Tide: 1:12 AM PDT 7.6
Low Tide: 7:00 AM PDT 1.4
High Tide: 12:57 PM PDT 9.4
Low Tide: 7:51 PM PDT -0.8

Friday 2021-11-05
Sunrise 7:59 AM PDT, Sunset 5:58 PM PDT
Moonrise 8:59 AM PDT, Moonset 6:41 PM PDT
High Tide: 2:05 AM PDT 7.6
Low Tide: 7:42 AM PDT 1.8
High Tide: 1:34 PM PDT 9.7
Low Tide: 8:37 PM PDT -1.3

Saturday 2021-11-06
Sunrise 8:00 AM PDT, Sunset 5:57 PM PDT
Moonrise 10:22 AM PDT, Moonset 7:22 PM PDT
High Tide: 2:59 AM PDT 7.6
Low Tide: 8:25 AM PDT 2.2
High Tide: 2:14 PM PDT 9.8
Low Tide: 9:26 PM PDT -1.5

On 11/16/2020 8:20 AM, elaine wrote:
I agree with Mark and my job will let me take the days off.
When a man is wrapped up in himself he makes a pretty small package. (John Ruskin)

Dan

SPEAKING OF MESSINGABOUT. For those of us not enamoured with the Evil
Service, this is a long-festered notion I'm working on at close to
full-out. i think this started in early October with a lightly-used Glen-L
13 sailboat. The notion is to have an easily-towed road rig that is CUTE.
Yeah. A hard set of constraints. Anyhow. I've got a tuglet 3-D, and the
associated camper shell that will share the trailer, mostly roughed out.
Supposed to look like the tug is pushing the barge up the highway. The
tuglet is Mojo--for trying to recapture some of that ephemera, stolen by
the events of this year past--and the barge is Cubit (if we succeed in
looking like a characature Noah's Ark.) Nuther couple days on that one.
Dan

Richard Green

Dang! Looks like your Mojo is really working!!!

Rich

On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:13 AM, Dan <danashore@conceptcable.com> wrote:

SPEAKING OF MESSINGABOUT. For those of us not enamoured with the Evil
Service, this is a long-festered notion I'm working on at close to
full-out. i think this started in early October with a lightly-used Glen-L
13 sailboat. The notion is to have an easily-towed road rig that is CUTE.
Yeah. A hard set of constraints. Anyhow. I've got a tuglet 3-D, and the
associated camper shell that will share the trailer, mostly roughed out.
Supposed to look like the tug is pushing the barge up the highway. The
tuglet is Mojo--for trying to recapture some of that ephemera, stolen by
the events of this year past--and the barge is Cubit (if we succeed in
looking like a characature Noah's Ark.) Nuther couple days on that one.
Dan

<008.JPG><1055.JPG>

Claire Acord

Very cute indeed Dan...good for you!
Hoping you get to use them next year
cheers
Claire

Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org
Claire Acord