Topics

New (to me) boat for the Coot Navy

Andrew Linn

I have been gifted Bud Shoemake's O'Day Daysailor II, and she is a beauty. Built in 1975 and lived on the East coast until the owner came over and sold her to Bud.

I haven't had the opportunity to do a complete inspection, but she looks pretty sweet. The one thing that caught my eye was the lack of a cabin hatch.  Did they have one?

Richard Green

My memory is an open face cuddy but that may have been on older daysailors.

Rich

On Jan 12, 2021, at 8:28 PM, Andrew Linn <alinn@andrewlinn.com> wrote:

I have been gifted Bud Shoemake's O'Day Daysailor II, and she is a beauty. Built in 1975 and lived on the East coast until the owner came over and sold her to Bud.

I haven't had the opportunity to do a complete inspection, but she looks pretty sweet. The one thing that caught my eye was the lack of a cabin hatch. Did they have one?

David Luckhardt

Looks like they don't come with a hatch but I found one photo of an O'Day DS 11 with a hatch of some sort -

http://www.capecodshipbuilding.com/images/fleet/daysailer.jpg

Have fun with her!

Andrew Linn

Cool. Thankee. I see the toggles on the bottom, I know my boat doesn't have those. Looks like I'm going to have to get creative.

DSIIs also have "Positive Flotation" which means foam. The spaces under the seats are sealed. I am not a fan of foam, as I always see it waterlogged, but there's no way to remove it, so I'll keep it "as designed."

On 1/13/2021 7:23 AM, David Luckhardt wrote:

Looks like they don't come with a hatch but I found one photo of an O'Day DS 11 with a hatch of some sort -

http://www.capecodshipbuilding.com/images/fleet/daysailer.jpg <http://www.capecodshipbuilding.com/images/fleet/daysailer.jpg>

Have fun with her!

Case Turner

I bought and sold one a few years back and it had a teak hatch. Not sure if it was original or something that was added later. I didn’t even have the boat long enough to take photos. HD it parked in front of my house right after picking it up and had an offer I couldn’t refuse!

Case

Sent from not here

--
Dirt

Richard Green

Those may not be toggles per se, they may be little “scoops” into which to land the bottom of the hatch?

Rich

On Jan 13, 2021, at 8:14 AM, Andrew Linn <alinn@andrewlinn.com> wrote:

Cool. Thankee. I see the toggles on the bottom, I know my boat doesn't have those. Looks like I'm going to have to get creative.

DSIIs also have "Positive Flotation" which means foam. The spaces under the seats are sealed. I am not a fan of foam, as I always see it waterlogged, but there's no way to remove it, so I'll keep it "as designed."

On 1/13/2021 7:23 AM, David Luckhardt wrote:

Looks like they don't come with a hatch but I found one photo of an O'Day DS 11 with a hatch of some sort -

http://www.capecodshipbuilding.com/images/fleet/daysailer.jpg <http://www.capecodshipbuilding.com/images/fleet/daysailer.jpg>

Have fun with her!

Brandon

Wow! That's a pretty classic boat for you Andrew. The O'day Daysailer was my first love. I dreamed about her for a couple of years. My dad came within a signature on a check a couple of times, but never pulled the trigger.

Brandon
SV Oceanus, 1971 Columbia 43.

Jove Lachman-Curl

Hey Brandon,
Would you tell me a bit about the Columbia 43 in your signature?
-Jove

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 9:56 AM Brandon via groups.io <brandonfordus=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Wow! That's a pretty classic boat for you Andrew. The O'day Daysailer was my first love. I dreamed about her for a couple of years. My dad came within a signature on a check a couple of times, but never pulled the trigger.

Brandon
SV Oceanus, 1971 Columbia 43.

Congratulations, Andy! The Daysailer was one of Uffa Fox's last designs. Although not as sporty as his racing dinghies, they're pretty sporty for a "family" daysailer. I've seen them tearing around Fern Ridge up on plane. Talbot, whose last name I can never spell <g>, has brought his Daysailer to a few of the Fern Ridge messabouts. If he's still hanging around here he can give you some advice on Daysailers.

It would be nice to have a lockable hatch for the cuddy.

I guess Bud isn't gonna need a sailboat at his villa in France. <g>

On 1/12/2021 8:28 PM, Andrew wrote:
I have been gifted Bud Shoemake's O'Day Daysailor II, and she is a beauty. Built in 1975 and lived on the East coast until the owner came over and sold her to Bud.
I haven't had the opportunity to do a complete inspection, but she looks pretty sweet. The one thing that caught my eye was the lack of a cabin hatch.  Did they have one?
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

Brandon can tell you a lot more, but here's a start:

http://hagothlog.blogspot.com/

Brandon and Virginia flew the Coot burgee in distant waters.

On 1/13/2021 11:48 AM, Jove wrote:
Hey Brandon,
Would you tell me a bit about the Columbia 43 in your signature?
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

Brandon

Hi Jove,

Ah, the Columbia 43. What a sweet vessel she be. I can, and have filled pages and pages waxing rhapsodic on her weatherlyness a beauty. Most recently I wrote a review of a Columbia 43 in Portland, Adios, owned by Craig Shaw, for Good Old Boat magazine (May-June 2019). I need to publish my magnum opus on my blogspot page. It's more about the history of the boat in general.

Briefly, my boat was ignored for about 10 years until a guy bought it and totally gutted the interior. He was half way through a 7-year rebuild when my wife and I bought her. Three years and a little and we sailed her from Newport, Ore., to SoCal, Mexico, Hawaii and to Olympia, where we are now.

She is designed by the late great BIll Tripp, Jr. in 1969. The bosses at Columbia wanted a boat that could beat the Cal 40s in the TransPac and that's what he delivered. In 1971 a Columbia 43 won first place in the Class C division against a fleet of Cal 40s. She is way fast and has a great motion at sea. She was one of the last boats Tripp designed under the CCA rule. He was killed in 1971 in a car accident.

Thanks for asking,
Brandon

Jove Lachman-Curl

Hey Brandon,
Would you give me a call? I have a few questions about Olympia and the marina there.
541 852 6396.
-Jove