Topics

New Skin on Frame design

Andrew Linn

Hey, guys. I'm kinda back. A guy at work has been wanting to learn boat building so I built a SoF canoe with him, a 15.5' version of my Yaquina design. I don't like how it came out, so I re-examined the design, and now I've made it better.

To my mind, this is the first "extendable" SoF design. Using the same frame pattern, you can get an 11.5' solo canoe (the Yaquina), 15.5' tandem canoe (Willamette), and  an 18.5' tandem + canoe (Columbia.)

It's dead boring: totally symmetrical, completely flat (no rocker) and completely utilitarian. Ugliest canoe you'll use every time you get on the water.

The frame/stem pattern fits on a piece of plywood 48 x 32 so you can build 3 boats out of one sheet of ply.

It needs (1) keel 3/4 x 1 1/2, (4) stringers ~ 3/4 x 3/4, and 4 gunnels ~3/8 x 1 1/2, you can get the breasthooks and floorboards for the Yaquina and Willamette from a sheet of 1/4" ply. The Columbia requires 1 sheet plus another piece ~ 24 x 36.

There's a guy in Virginia who will start building a Columbia class soon. I've sent him the specs. I'll be developing a Build Guild from his experiences.

We'll be building another Willamette class canoe once we get finished with restoring a 16' fiberglass canoe we've been given. I'll let you know how it goes.

Photos? Plans? I'm glad you're getting back into boatbuilding, Andy.

The prototype Yaquina canoe was launched about 8 years ago and, despite being a bit worn from years of hard use in the Toledo Boathouse livery, and during the boat shows, is still usable. Pint-size persons particularly like it, but it's probably more suitable for grown-ups than the numerous Wee Lassie clones. The Willamette wil, probably be a better solo canoe for Ol' Coots like me, and will also let you take somebody along with you.

Alas, the Yaquina canoe plans are in limbo while Doug, one of the Retired Old Geezers, puts together a new Web page for the Boathouses. I shoulda saved the Boathouse plans myself while they were still available. <sigh>

https://flic.kr/p/d16Gkd

https://flic.kr/p/oHSYA3

https://flic.kr/p/oHTjRS

https://flic.kr/p/p16Zip

https://flic.kr/p/fDPnUv

https://flic.kr/p/fE6ZpA

On 10/12/2020 5:15 PM, Andrew wrote:
Hey, guys. I'm kinda back. A guy at work has been wanting to learn boat building so I built a SoF canoe with him, a 15.5' version of my Yaquina design. I don't like how it came out, so I re-examined the design, and now I've made it better.
To my mind, this is the first "extendable" SoF design. Using the same frame pattern, you can get an 11.5' solo canoe (the Yaquina), 15.5' tandem canoe (Willamette), and  an 18.5' tandem + canoe (Columbia.)
It's dead boring: totally symmetrical, completely flat (no rocker) and completely utilitarian. Ugliest canoe you'll use every time you get on the water.
For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn? (Jane Austen)

Andrew Linn

We are getting there :) I'm considering doing a build guide and maybe selling the plans. I dunno. I'm not much of a businessman.

I've also been playing with 1:4 models of these canoes. Maybe a little kit where you could practice building before you build. You still have to do everything on the model you do on a real build, so it gives you good practice. Plus, a person can build a lot more 3', 4' and 5' boats without needing the garage space of a 12', 16' or 19' boat.