New requirements coming for ECOS use on boats less than 26’

Case Turner

The coast guard is going to require operators of boat 26ft or less with motors over 3hp to actually use the ECOS (engine cut off switch) lanyard or system.

Some states already require this but not all.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/2c7a930

Case

Sent from not here

--
Dirt

Richard Green

I hope we can work out extensions to the cut off lanyard so we’re not glued to the transom.

Rich

On Mar 19, 2021, at 4:10 AM, Case Turner <casesturner@...> wrote:

The coast guard is going to require operators of boat 26ft or less with motors over 3hp to actually use the ECOS (engine cut off switch) lanyard or system.

Some states already require this but not all.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/2c7a930

Case

Sent from not here

--
Dirt

That won't have much effect on most Coots. It only applies while operating above displacement speed. Curious wording in the announcement though -- there are lots of yahoos who operate their boats above displacement speed in no-wake zones. <sigh>

The article states that wireless devices are now available that'll kill the motor if you fall in. If they're not expensive that might increase compliance with the law. It's certainly a Good Idea to have a way to kill the motor when the operator goes overboard.

"[The] Elijah E. Cummings Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2020 requires individuals operating covered recreational vessels (less than 26 feet in length, with an engine capable of 115 lbs. or more of static thrust, which equates to about 3 horsepower or more) to use ECOS “links” while operating on plane or above displacement speed. Using the ECOSL is not required when the main helm is installed within an enclosed cabin. Common situations where ECOSL use would not be required include docking/trailering, trolling, and operating in no-wake zones."

On 3/19/2021 4:10 AM, Case wrote:
The coast guard is going to require operators of boat 26ft or less with motors over 3hp to actually use the ECOS (engine cut off switch) lanyard or system.
Some states already require this but not all.
https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/2c7a930
Every year back spring comes, with nasty little birds, yapping their fool heads off and the ground all mucked up with plants. (Dorothy Parker)

The wireless kill switches are sure a good idea but, alas, they _are_ expensive. <sigh> A couple hunnert bucks for this one:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Virtual-Kill-Switch

Most of us Coots won't get nabbed by the CG, because we won't be running our boats above displacement speed. Andrew won't have to worry when he's planing around the lake in his Daysailer because he'll be under sail. <g>

On 3/19/2021 9:07 AM, Rich G wrote:
I hope we can work out extensions to the cut off lanyard so we’re not glued to the transom.
Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift)

Gerard Mittelstaedt

I am waiting for a "kill switch" requirement for my sail!
Texas already has a "kill switch" law.
I have not used my old 4 hp British Seagull in years. - Wonder how one would
rig a kill switch to it. Hmmm. perhaps a ground to the spark plug - that might
be exciting !
- Gerard Mittelstaedt
McAllen, TX

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 4:38 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

The wireless kill switches are sure a good idea but, alas, they _are_
expensive. <sigh> A couple hunnert bucks for this one:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Virtual-Kill-Switch

Most of us Coots won't get nabbed by the CG, because we won't be running
our boats above displacement speed. Andrew won't have to worry when he's
planing around the lake in his Daysailer because he'll be under sail. <g>

On 3/19/2021 9:07 AM, Rich G wrote:
I hope we can work out extensions to the cut off lanyard so we’re not
glued to the transom.
Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and
hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift)

Gerard Mittelstaedt -- mittel48@gmail.com
McAllen, Texas
USA