New Boat

Case Turner

A few years back Bob camped next to me at Toledo and inside his Astro van he had crammed in his pram (Nutshell?) . I looked at that and thought I could cram a boat into my cargo trailer camper. Yes I can pack canoes and kayaks up top but I really want a rowboat or row sail boat. That trip a front runner was the Elegant punt. Mainly because they were building them right there and I thought well that would fit.

Three years later I have picked up plans for whats going in the trailer.

Dave Gentry's Piankatank River Pram. Its short enough, skinny enough and light enough to move around. Reports to be a good rower and a not bad sailor.

It will take e a while to source the wood. The bulk of the build calls for western red cedar.  It's always been hard to get here in Bend. More than likely I'll find myself up in PDX and I can get it there.I'll need to go there to get my marine ply anyways.

Hope to have this ready by next summer. We shall see.

Case

--
Dirt

Brian Gage <jamesgage637@...>

Dirt that sounds like a fun build. Last summer I went to Parr Lumber (in Tualitan, 5mi south) for long lengths of trim and was amazed of the huge selection of Western Red Cedar. Lengths up to 20' and widths up to 12". All were 3/4" thick, riff and quarter sawn. Of course kiln dried not air dried.
B.G.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021, 11:37 AM Case Turner <casesturner@...> wrote:
[...]

Good for you, Case. You should have fun building the Gentry punt:

http://gentrycustomboats.com/PRP.html

Any reasonably light, clear, wood will work for the stringers. It shouldn't be much trouble to find good 8' lengths. You can usually find cheap 2x6s and 2x8s that have enough clear wood in them to be cheaper than smaller sticks of all clear lumber. The Toledo Boathouses get cedar from Siletz River Lumber, 541-444-1175.

I look forward to seeing the new boat next year.

On 9/15/2021 11:37 AM, Dirt wrote:
[...]
Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering she looks like a haddock. (John Barrymore)