Topics

Mini 12 meter Boomer parts for 4 boats

Electri-Cal

John, Dan, Andy and I have enough of the needed wires  coming in as a donation, to convert some servos, battery pack snaps, and enough RX battery cases to fit all 4 boats coming in soon.  I also have the keel to deck sealing tubes to be watertight.  Maybe more stuff will be added, but that is a complete list, until I actually get the work started.  I can order a bunch for all direct from source, so what I have is free, to those who don't mind waiting till it all comes in.  You guys can let me know if you want any of this, before it comes in.  John is covered, I will have the right stuff.  How about Dan, and  Andy,  are you interested or wish do do it yourself, no problem if you do??   A slight mod. needed to switch wires for fixing on the servos, and I ordered parts for that, or I might do those here as needed. So, let me know so I can start a "reserved boater packages" thing as goodies arrive, the rest I got, will restore a couple planes I have ready to convert.

Later,  Away we go , to the lonely sea and sky ,etc. ---   Cal                     RE, --  by John Masefield (Not me)  What a GREAT poem, tears, tears, -- etc.

Jove Lachman-Curl

John,
As the fern ridge sailing season tapers off, I'm finding myself more and more interested in RC boats again.
Where can I catch people sailing RC boats around here?
How did the Boomer project go for everyone last year?
Are there any boomer hulls or other RC sailing equipment available?

Here is a nice picture of an RC model of Suhaili, Robin Knox-johston's 32'er. made by some French RC group.
At this point, I'd really like to try sailing and RC boat to just see if I like it before invest much more time or effort into the idea, So if anyone has a boat, knows a group, or etc. Let me know.
image.png
best,
-Jove

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 4:50 PM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
[...]

Richard Green

I sailed a FC version of Suhaili named Suhail, cutter rigged,  from Honolulu to Astoria in1980.  Fun trip, a bit bouncy.

Rich

On Aug 31, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:

[...]

I bet that was quite an experience Rich, I'm jealous!
-Jove

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 4:07 PM Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:
[...]

It was a fun trip.  Two of us, 29 1/2 days to Astoria.  Sailing out and around the north pacific high we clocked about 3800 miles.  One day of gale winds but going our way, so to sing.  Stays’l only for the gale, hand steering hour on, hour off. Otherwise we self steered with surgical tubing to the tiller countering the stays’l sheet.
 I cooked due to my food allergies.  Worked out great, didn’t have to do the dishes.  Heh.  That all was forty years ago right now.  1980.

Rich

On Aug 31, 2020, at 4:08 PM, Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:

[...]

Suhaili is an Atkin Eric. Robin Knox-Johnson bought some cheap plans in India, where he built Suhaili, and years later discovered that they were the Atkin drawings copied with the designer's info blocked out!

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Articles/MacNaughton/Eric.html

Bill Crealock took the Eric (actually Thistle -- same hull, raised deck) design and modified it for fiberglass construction as the Westsail 32. After the first few boats were built Westsails had a trunk cabin, like Eric. The first manufacturer of Westsails paid a royalty to the Atkins. The original Erics and Thistles sail better than Wetsnails. <shrug>

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Thistle.html

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Eric.html

On 8/31/2020 4:06 PM, Rich G wrote:
I sailed a FC version of Suhaili named Suhail, cutter rigged,  from Honolulu to Astoria in1980.  Fun trip, a bit bouncy.
He who establishes his argument by noise and command, shows that his reason is weak. (Michel De Montaigne)

I believe only David Birch has completed his Boomer. It shouldn't take much to get mine sailing, but it's been sitting on the back burner.... Cal's is coming along too. I don't remember who has the fourth Boomer...

The Triton and Eugene Yacht Clubs have tried to get RC sailing in the winter going. I don't know if they're still at it. I've heard that they got too serious and competitive and scared the fun people away. <sigh>

You should ask over on the Fernsail group:

https://groups.io/g/Fernsail/

What! You're not a member? Shame on you. ;o) I'll send you an invite.

On 8/31/2020 3:51 PM, Jove wrote:
John,
As the fern ridge sailing season tapers off, I'm finding myself more and more interested in RC boats again.
Where can I catch people sailing RC boats around here?
How did the Boomer project go for everyone last year?
Are there any boomer hulls or other RC sailing equipment available?
Here is a nice picture of an RC model of Suhaili, Robin Knox-johston's 32'er. made by some French RC group.
At this point, I'd really like to try sailing and RC boat to just see if I like it before invest much more time or effort into the idea, So if anyone has a boat, knows a group, or etc. Let me know.
image.png
best,
As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious. (Mark Twain)

Randy Torgerson

If you watch Acorn To Arabella, the boys there bought Victoria for parts and I believe she was an Atkins Eric.  There are several videos on Victoria and the one where they dismantle her is very informative of that happens to a wooden boat when you don't maintain her properly.  The keel was rotted away and filled with junk.

Randy

Electri-Cal

Come on by, Jove !!  I have one of the 12 's the electric runabout of course, and you would be welcome to set awhile, bag a beer, or whatever.  I have week days off till 4 pm, when my wife gets home.  Unfortunately that also has my weekends pretty full.  Seems like John Kohnen, and Charlie Vader are the other locals who can make it this a way, so the more the merrier.  The  is well along, but I'm ambiguous about it at this point.  Everything is good even a new radio, etc. at least worth a viewing so you can see what it looks like.

ZZZZipp !!  Later, ----  Cal

Jove still has a job. Cuts into his boat time terribly, but they keep throwing money at him, so what can he do? <g>

I thought Toledo Joe would have piped up by now. The Retired Old Geezers at the Toledo Boathouses sail Dragon Force 65s. I don't know how much of that is going on now, what with the Dread Virus. <sigh> It seems like RC sailing ought to be something folks could do with safe social distancing.

https://dragonforce65.us/

On 9/1/2020 4:58 PM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Come on by, Jove !!
Just think what a dull world it would be if everyone was sensible. (Lucy Maud Montgomery)