Topics

[MessaboutW] Re: Hopeless Boat Nut

Pat-

Ever seen one of those little boats they use to herd logs around in a log
pond? I've been wracking my brain, but I can't recall what they're called.
Anyway, they're short, fat, and have an outboard mounted right in the
middle, arranged to spin around 360 degrees. Nowadays the motors in a
special mount that spins, with a circular "handle" on top that the operator
uses like a steering wheel. Last year at the antique outboard showing in
Florence there was a great big, long shaft 10 hp. Evinrude built for the
Navy in WW II that had a circular handle all around the powerhead. It was
geared way down and had a huge propeller for pushing barges around, and the
circular handle was to spin it around for reverse (no gearchange). The
old-timer who brought it said that after the war surplus ones were used on
those little log pushers. It may be there again this year (plug, plug).
With dry decking replacing all the log ponds it's hard to find a place to
see one of those little pushers in action anymore. A friend of mine used to
drive on at the Hull-Oakes mill at Dawson (west of Bellfountain), but I
never went up there to see him work it. If the motor on their log pusher is
anything like the machinery in the mill (still running their saws with
steam!) it's probably worth a look. Maybe it's one of those old Navy
Evinrudes?

I saw one of those boats at Depoe Bay a while back, a fairly big one, steel
and black. For some reason I thought it was the tug for the port. It'd make
a good one. Know anything about it Jack?

No water in the lake at Detroit either...

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:27:07 -0000, Pat wrote:
Pretty cool. I guess my idea wasn't so crazy or even "New"
But that's what I was jokingly talking about. 360 degree
steering, turn the motor sidways and go sideways. Real
maneuverability. Like on of the big tugs.
Looks like a nice arrangement. Could also simplify motor control.
Put a couple of levers to extend throttle and shift
and attach a wheel or handlebars to the and straddle it
like a motorcycle.
No reservations needed at Detroit campground this weekend.
http://www.boat-links.com/
A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
<William Burroughs>

thoms.bryn@...

The log pusher. Several years ago I was collecting sediment samples on
WeyCo. Springfield's log pond in the middle of winter. It was very foggy
and I felt like we were in a calm piece of the ocean or a harbor, because
you couldn't see the edges. You could here the noises, though, like the
steam out of the stacks and the rumbling of the machinery, and most of all
the smell of sulfur, (around here we call that the "smell of money").
Anyway, one of the log pond fellows had a log pusher (steel hull), I'm sure
he had a more appropriate name for it, I can't remember it though, that he
used to push the last remaining logs to the chain and mill at the west end
for final removal. While we were out in the log pond on a pontoon boat
driving core, he would offer assistance with his log pusher. One time, out
of my dismay for his disregard to THE UNION, he let me drive the thing
around a bit. It was like a bucking bronco, or a weeble wobble on water. I
swear we were gonna tip over. Anyway, it had a wheel directly of over the
outboard shaft and you could spin that boat in circles or do all sorts of
weird maneuvers. There was no reverse, you just very quickly turned the
wheel 180 degrees. If you would fart around at 90 or 270 or anything in
between 0 and 180 you'd start going sideways. The operator was a pro, he
had been out on that log pond for probably a good 20 years. He was a dying
breed, I suppose. Soon after we completed the job, WeyCo., decommissioned
the log pond and it turned it into chip storage. I noticed they had a
couple of the log pushers, and if I my memory serves me correctly, both
boats were left high and dry in the boneyard. I wonder if there are still
out there. Seems a shame they don't have them on display in a museum, or up
at the front desk, or something like that.

Another fun job at the log pond, was when we strapped a trackhoe to a very
small steel barge to collect sediment samples. I was the geo that was
logging the samples when the trackhoe bucket would drop a big pile of
rotting elephant dung on the deck in front of me. It was a great job, I had
to hang on every time the trackhoe would stick his arm out over the edge of
the barge and the gunwale would drop under water, I'd be on the upper side,
right behind the roaring diesel. Then the arm would come up and the barge
would slosh back to the other side, I'd get up close to the side of trackhoe
as the operator would swing the bucket over in front of me and drop his
load. The whole time I would be scrambling around trying to stay dry and be
ready for a capsize (unlikely, but it sure felt like it).

That's fun thinking about the field days.

Anyone, installed a car engine in a boat?

[...]

No flaming, cursing or public mopery. Please be polite.