Topics

[MessaboutW] Re: Hopeless Boat Nut

Pat-

I've got the bows and sterns of drift boats all mixed up and can't make
heads or tails of what you're trying to do to that poor boat. <g> But Harry
V. Sucher has plans for some flat-bottomed skiffs with an outboard in a
well forward (the pointy end, it's easier to tell which end is which in an
ordinary skiff) in "Simplified Boatbuilding". Here's what he has to say:

"Many small skiffs, and particularly those whose lines indicate their
function as moderate-speed displacement hulls, will perform better and
carry larger loads when powered by an outboard if the engine is placed
forward of amidships in a well. While this arrangement may appear somewhat
unorthodox to boatmen not familiar with this practice, it has been well
proven in several types of skiffs. The advantages are that the operator
sitting well forward does not add his weight to that of an engine placed in
the conventional manner in the stern, and much of the danger of'being
swamped by a stern sea is eliminated. The weight of the load to be carried
can then be easily arranged with the center of gravity just aft of
amidships, and the bow can be kept well immersed to cut down pounding. The
propeller appears to function quite efficiently as a tractor unit, and the
boat is steered by swinging the engine in the usual manner."

He mentions the Florida mullet skiff as an example of a working skiff with
an outboard forward. Here's Sucher's 15 1/2 foot skiff:

I like the outboard too! ;o) There's even a 19 1/2 footer rigged as an
(occasional) offshore salmon troller in the book!

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:53:23 -0000, Pat wrote:
I guess one could accomplish the same thing by cutting
a motor well a few feet from the High Bow end in a drift
boat, and motoring backward. Or even in the center, with
a 360 degrees turning motor and go either way, or with
skill, even sideways. (Now there's an "Idea")
Must not be a "Great Idea", as I have never seen it done.
http://www.boat-links.com/
Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet two conditions:
1. He is a Greek
2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>