Topics

[MessaboutW] Hopeless Boat Nut

Sandy Thoms <thoms@...>

Speaking of hopeless boat nuts, (actually I'm not quite there yet, but I
have had dream of a boat similar to the Nuisance), My kids (two at 4.5 years
old) greeted me at the door when I got home with a big smile and the new WB
in hand. Pretty cool, huh?

So I just got back from the Willamette at Beltline (northwest Eugene city
limits, for those of you that don't know layout of Stumptown. That's
another story. Actually the place attracts a crowd that makes you wonder if
your vehicle will still be there when you get back. At least that's the
perception, most of the folks I meet there and other boat ramps on the
Willamette look a bit rough, but seem to be pretty good folks. Anyway, the
kids and I, took the driftboat out on a small quiet stretch of the river
with my grandfathers 5 Hp Johnson Seahorse of, possibly, late sixties
vintage. I just got a temporary reg and title today, so I'll stick out like
a sore thumb without my numbers and tag for awhile, oh well.

So the motor worked quite well, after I got it running, and the kids had a
ball. We went upstream into the base of the rapids until our max velocity
equaled the current, the fell away at a quick rate. An interesting thing to
note, is that the motor is not a long shaft, therefore it must be a short
shaft, relatively speaking, and when attached to a driftboat transom without
a cutout, the prop is just barely covered with water. That's with myself,
the 30# anchor, a toolbox, the 5 gal gas tank in the stern and two 30# kids
just fore of amidships. So one has trim things a bit to make the most of the
short shaft. The neat thing is that once you get a little speed up, the
boat by default tends to wallow so our short shaft then becomes a long
shaft, relatively speaking. The water intake, just above the prop, then
finds itself in a much better location for actually working. Another
interesting thing is that the driftboat, again by default, has much rocker
to the bottom, so that one can make quick spins, or "pirouettes" as all the
historians say. I found this isn't such a good property for motor boats. I
thought the driftboat, under power, would be horribly squirrely, but I was
quite surprised to find that it held a line pretty well.

S, ... much fun was had with the kids, a hand built wood boat, an heirloom
motor, and only two hours of a pleasent August eve.

Stumptown? I saw that name on a USGS 7.5 minute quad, for that area of
northwest Eugene. It was right there at Delta Sand and Gravel.
Interesting. GottagoreadmyWB