Topics

Lower Columbia River info

Mark Neuhaus

Hi folks,

Randy T. and I got to talking about a week cruise out of Cathlamet someday.  Heading down towards Illwaco.  Maybe make a big circle, do something similar to what Sam McKinney did in "Reach of Tides".  Maybe crab near Hammond or Sand Island or fish wherever. Maybe just go get sunburned.

I figured Harvey woud be a great resource, living part-time in Astoria.  Also, any other Coot who has spent some time down there.  I know Andrew lead a group down one year from Beacon Rock and another year launched in Cathlamet and headed west for a day before heading for Saint Helens and the return to Cathlamet. Maybe Julius, Allen, or Michael could share good spots?

I guess what I'm asking for are suggestions for anchorages or books and/or websites with info on sights, sites, and anchorages, or anything that could help a Coot party enjoy the lower river.

I've found several pages on the web with the kind of info I'm asking for, but lots of that is pretty old.  I'm trying to compile a current list of anchorages, campsites, marinas, ramps, docks, etc. from Portland to the ocean.  Seems to me that it might be a useful document to have on the Coots webpage.

Either way, I'm missing our messabouts......

Mark

Richard Green

I spent years sailing the lower river.  One of my favorite trips was to head up the Clatskanie River into the town of Clatskanie, tie up at the docks below Hump’s which used to be, apparently used to be, a nice restaurant.  Not sure what the possibilities are now.  I understand there’s a 40’ vertical clearance issue now.  Interestingly, there’s a large scour at a confluence with an inlet around an island along the way  when the tide is changing.  We did the trip in an O’day 28 with 5’ of draft.

The current can run pretty good through Prairie Channel on a runout tide.  Classic anchorage is behind Tongue Point in Cathlamet Bay where the John Day river also runs in.  I usually did he river from Portland in three legs, first to Kalama, then to Cathlamet, then to Astoria, then to Ilwaco.

When sailing only, best to make the trip so you hit the entrance to Ilwaco at slack water and ride the incoming tide up to Ilwaco proper.

Small boats are best moving in light winds to calm in early morning and evening as in summer it can whip up large, short swells on the river with winds to 35 mph depending on the day.  They usually start around ten or eleven a.m.  Tidal salt flow goes about 26 miles upriver IIRC.  Salt water being heavier, it flows in at the bottom farther up.  Of course the tide affects the river right up to Bonneville.

I sailed keel boats there with four or five foot drafts so there’s prolly lots of nuances for small boats.

Rich

On Jul 22, 2020, at 8:11 PM, Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:

[...]

I should prolly clarify on winds in the lower river.  Calm happens a lot, 15 mph is commonplace, but I have seen 35 with a flood tide and it can be mighty lumpy.  I have also seen, on rare occasion, a 50 mph blow race out of Young’s Bay across the river.  Spent a night on Desdemona Sands across from Young’s Bay in a Catalina 36 laid over on the sand after being driven up unexpectedly.  We were doing Tues night racing with Astoria Yacht Club and the wind came from nowhere on a dropping tide.  One minute we were moving slowly along the sands, the next blown up onto it until the tide came in.  Plenty of excitement.

 I sailed my little 22’ Benford double ender, 4500 lbs,  wind and tide and oars only, never had a motor on the boat for several years.  Of course, my O’day 28 had power.

Lots of good memories.

Rich

On Jul 22, 2020, at 8:23 PM, Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Richard for responding with your advice. We'll be in powerboats so the sailing hints may not pertain.

Mark

Richard Green

Power makes a difference.  Still, plan for the waves as they can be mighty rough in the wrong time of day in the main river.

Rich

On Jul 24, 2020, at 8:26 PM, Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:

Thanks Richard for responding with your advice. We'll be in powerboats so the sailing hints may not pertain.

Mark

You do know that Sam McKinney took several years and more than one boat to do what he wrote about in Reach of Tide? ;o)

There are lots of interesting places to explore starting from Cathlamet. I recommend taking your time and not rushing to reach a destination. But then I always do... <g> (see sig)

On 7/22/2020 8:11 PM, Mark N wrote:
Hi folks,
Randy T. and I got to talking about a week cruise out of Cathlamet someday.  Heading down towards Illwaco.  Maybe make a big circle, do something similar to what Sam McKinney did in "Reach of Tides".  Maybe crab near Hammond or Sand Island or fish wherever. Maybe just go get sunburned.
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. (Louis L'Amour)

"Someday" as in before the snow flies this year?

Me, Earl and Bob L have been talking about a leisurely cruise in September of less than a week starting in Portland, probably from Fred's Marina. Most likely a loop around Sauvie's Island, maybe going a bit downriver from St. Helens. Maybe spend a day on a sightseeing trip up through the Megalopolis and back. Take two days down Multnomah Channel, two days up the outside of Sauvie's Island, maybe stopping at Fisherman's Slough behind Caterpillar Island, We'll see... Planning on being self-sufficient in case shoreside amenities aren't available.

On 7/22/2020 8:11 PM, Mark N wrote:
Hi folks,
Randy T. and I got to talking about a week cruise out of Cathlamet someday.
I have noticed that people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them. (Edward Verrall Lucas)

Mark Neuhaus

Hi John,

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 11:50 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

You do know that Sam McKinney took several years and more than one boat
to do what he wrote about in Reach of Tide? ;o)

I know he took three boats and a few years to complete his "Sailing Uphill" journey to the east coast.  But I just finished re-reading "Reach of Tide" and it felt like one boat, one trip.  Maybe I gotta stop reading in bed.  :-)

I recommend taking your time and not rushing to reach a destination. But
then I always do... <g> (see sig)

Yep, you had a great sig, as always.  And I figured between Sam's books, library books, Coots' knowledge, youtube videos, and several webpages, I could compile a list of good places to visit for their history, scenic value, or worthwhile anchorage.

Mark

Mark Neuhaus

Hi John,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:14 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

"Someday" as in before the snow flies this year?

Yep.  Randy wants to take a week off from work and maybe cruise, work on his Tolman, or both.  We figured Cathlamet would be a good place to launch and maybe keep our rigs at a Coots' place there.  Waiting to see what the virus situation was before we firmed up anything, so as far as I know, no dates were mentioned.

Me, Earl and Bob L have been talking about a leisurely cruise in
September of less than a week starting in Portland, probably from Fred's
Marina. Most likely a loop around Sauvie's Island, maybe going a bit
downriver from St. Helens. Maybe spend a day on a sightseeing  trip up
through the Megalopolis and back. Take two days down Multnomah Channel,
two days up the outside of Sauvie's Island, maybe stopping at
Fisherman's Slough behind Caterpillar Island, We'll see... Planning on
being self-sufficient in case shoreside amenities aren't available.

I am very interested in joining you.  Along with my interest in the lower Columbia River, I am compiling a list of facilities and such between Portland and the coast.  The reason for this is that I hope to spend more time cruising this area, and need to know what's available.

I was hoping to spring my news at the next messabout, but now is as good a time as any.  As you know, Randy is building a Tolman skiff.  He knew I had wanted to build one 15 years ago and that I envied all you guys with roofs and/or pilothouse cabins on your boats. Extends the boating season to year-round. So when he saw a local Tolman listed for sale on fishyfish.com, he told me about it and I couldn't help myself.  So, I now have a gas eater, and researching fuel stop locations on the Columbia led to finding all the other amenities.

As for suggestions for a trip. The first messabout I attended with Moonlit Turtle was the 2009 Summer Solstice.  On Sunday afternoon, Pat Patteson, Terry Lesh, and I took off downriver just to see the sights before heading home.  Instead, we went down to Bachelor Island slough, up to Ridgefield, over to Scappoose Bay, and spent the night in a little cove on the east side of the bay, where another Coot, Robin Robinson, was staying. Shallow, but no problem, at least that year. We all came down Multnomah Channel the next day to Fred's Marina where Terry took out.  Along that route, there is Coon Island, a platform in the Gilbert River, and Hadley's Landing, all free.  When Randy and I launched my Tolman near Fred's Marina a couple of weeks ago, we took a test run up to Hadley's Landing, which was chock full of boats, some looking like homeless encampments.  So, the three free sites I mentioned may not be good stops for docking space or social distancing.

Downstream of Saint Helen's about 7 miles is Martin Island and I believe there is now a float in the lagoon in addition to lots of anchoring spots.  A little farther downstream is Kalama Marina, right along the freeway.  In the Portland area, the North Portland Channel on the south side of Hayden Island has several spots where folks anchor.  And RiversWest boat shop is right under the I-5 bridge on that channel and we could stop in and take a gander at Randy's progress on his Tolman build.  :-)

As for the Willamette River near downtown Portland, I'm betting that most good anchoring sites may already have the homeless fleet entrenched. If anyone has downtown  suggestions from prior knowledge, I could probably check them out.

I have moored my new-to-me Tolman at Marina Way Moorage, just a half mile downstream from Fred's Marina.  I hope that once this horrible heat abates, I will be out and about quite often.  I can pretty easily hit most of the locations I mentioned, in order to see what condition they are in this year.

Mark

Case Turner

Congrats on your new boat mark. Looks nice!

Case

Sent from not here

On Jul 27, 2020, at 12:06 PM, Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:

[...]

<Mark's new ride.jpg>

--
Dirt

Nice looking new boat, Mark. Congratulations! What are the particulars? About 20'? What kind of gas guzzler do you have on the transom?

Of course you're welcome to join us in September, and we'll appreciate your research. As for sightseeing through Portland, we were just thinking of going up and back in a day, probably tying up at fred's, or anchoring in the vicinity.

On 7/27/2020 12:07 PM, Mark N wrote:
I was hoping to spring my news at the next messabout, but now is as good a time as any.  As you know, Randy is building a Tolman skiff.  He knew I had wanted to build one 15 years ago and that I envied all you guys with roofs and/or pilothouse cabins on your boats. Extends the boating season to year-round. So when he saw a local Tolman listed for sale on fishyfish.com <http://fishyfish.com>, he told me about it and I couldn't help myself.  So, I now have a gas eater, and researching fuel stop locations on the Columbia led to finding all the other amenities.
Ah! how delicious it is to turn over and go to sleep again: "just for five minutes." Is there any human being, I wonder, besides the hero of a Sunday-school "tale for boys," who ever gets up willingly? (Jerome K. Jerome)

I'm pretty sure Reach if Tide was the result of several voyages, blended together in the book. I'm not so sure about multiple boats for that book, but Myles's Reach of Tide wasn't involved. IIRC, she was built with money from the book sales.

On 7/27/2020 11:09 AM, Mark N wrote:
You do know that Sam McKinney took several years and more than one boat
to do what he wrote about in Reach of Tide? ;o)
I know he took three boats and a few years to complete his "Sailing Uphill" journey to the east coast.  But I just finished re-reading "Reach of Tide" and it felt like one boat, one trip.  Maybe I gotta stop reading in bed.  :-)
Dissent is what rescues democracy from a quiet death behind closed doors. (Lewis H. Lapham)

Mark Neuhaus

Hi John and Case,

Thanks for the thumbs up.  :-)

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:25 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

Nice looking new boat, Mark. Congratulations! What are the particulars?
About 20'? What kind of gas guzzler do you have on the transom?

Here's how Dave Wright, the  builder in Ridgefield WA,  described it:
----------------------------
21 foot Tolman Widebody with pilot house. Launched summer 2016, very clean and like new. We just haven't used it much. With 2016 70 HP Yamaha 4 stroke, less than 20 hours. On 2016 Road Runner galvanized trailer, single axle, 3500 pound capacity, surge brakes. Less than 250 miles on trailer. Only used in fresh water and looks brand new.

The boat has nicely up holstered cushions, two batteries, bilge pump, lights, nav lights, horn, depth sounder, but never added any fancy electronics. Self bailing cockpit It's a good, neat, clean base for customizing. Always attracted a crowd of fishermen at the launch ramp, trying to decide if was an Arima or C-Dory. Always surprised to find it was home built.
----------------------------

Of course you're welcome to join us in September, and we'll appreciate
your research. As for sightseeing through Portland, we were just
thinking of going up and back in a day, probably tying up at fred's, or
anchoring in the vicinity.

Sounds good.  Like I said, I hope to get out a bunch and explore the waters up to Saint Helens.  I'll pass along anything of interest.  I suspect that plans will be pretty loose?  Still, it's nice to know what's available around the area.

Mark

Myles Twete

I'm sure the chronicles of the Reach Of Tide followed several voyages by Sam, but for the most part, it was all with his small boat "Gander". His West-coast to East-coast trip included that Gander (up to Lewiston), then for maybe 100 miles on the Missouri in a dory (until it got stuck in the mud), then the rest of the way with a 24ft bargeboat he built to NYC. Sam sold the barge boat after arriving to NYC on that trip and shipped the motor home.
The motor from that boat went on the 26' scow cruiser Reach Of Tide that he began building soon after coming home from his trip (he always had to be writing a new book and building a new boat). Sam's wife Gail may have given the boat the name (she certainly painted the name on the back) originally. I still run the Reach Of Tide with the same outboard (minus the gas motor) and it's been electric now since 2003 (time flies). This Spring and last, I did a circumnavigation day trip of Sauvies Island all on electric (no genset). I might be able to join any day- or even down-river journeys this Fall.

-Myles

I'm pretty sure Reach if Tide was the result of several voyages, blended together in the book. I'm not so sure about multiple boats for that book, but Myles's Reach of Tide wasn't involved. IIRC, she was built with money from the book sales.

On 7/27/2020 11:09 AM, Mark N wrote:
You do know that Sam McKinney took several years and more than one boat
to do what he wrote about in Reach of Tide? ;o)

I know he took three boats and a few years to complete his "Sailing
Uphill" journey to the east coast. But I just finished re-reading
"Reach of Tide" and it felt like one boat, one trip. Maybe I gotta
stop reading in bed. :-) ...
Dissent is what rescues democracy from a quiet death behind closed doors. (Lewis H. Lapham)

Jove Lachman-Curl

Thank you all, this was a gem to read.
I have been toying with plans to explore the lower columbia in some fashion later this Summer.
I have a good sea kayak setup, but more likely I'd take the Windrose 18 that I've been sailing quite a bit this summer on fern ridge. It's a 1500lb boat with a swing keel.
The description of the multi-day trip down to astoria sounds very intriguing. And the tips on weather and docking locations are very helpful.

I took the Windrose out in some pretty stiff breezes by myself recently and was happy to find it didn't get too squirely. I was able to handle it easily and didn't need to reef. I don't have a record of the wind speed at the time, but it was predicted online at 15mph. And it rounded up controllably in the gusts.
Here is a video, close hauled with just the main, after I put the jib up I was too busy riding the rail to take videos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fpJKZzt3Pfw8GHCp7

image.png

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 3:09 PM Myles Twete <matwete@...> wrote:
I'm sure the chronicles of the Reach Of Tide followed several voyages by Sam, but for the most part, it was all with his small boat "Gander".  His West-coast to East-coast trip included that Gander (up to Lewiston), then for maybe 100 miles on the Missouri in a dory (until it got stuck in the mud), then the rest of the way with a 24ft bargeboat he built to NYC.  Sam sold the barge boat after arriving to NYC on that trip and shipped the motor home.
The motor from that boat went on the 26' scow cruiser Reach Of Tide that he began building soon after coming home from his trip (he always had to be writing a new book and building a new boat).  Sam's wife Gail may have given the boat the name (she certainly painted the name on the back) originally.  I still run the Reach Of Tide with the same outboard (minus the gas motor) and it's been electric now since 2003 (time flies).  This Spring and last, I did a circumnavigation day trip of Sauvies Island all on electric (no genset).  I might be able to join any day- or even down-river journeys this Fall.

-Myles

I'm pretty sure Reach if Tide was the result of several voyages, blended together in the book. I'm not so sure about multiple boats for that book, but Myles's Reach of Tide wasn't involved. IIRC, she was built with money from the book sales.

On 7/27/2020 11:09 AM, Mark N wrote:
>     You do know that Sam McKinney took several years and more than one boat
>     to do what he wrote about in Reach of Tide? ;o)
>

> I know he took three boats and a few years to complete his "Sailing
> Uphill" journey to the east coast.  But I just finished re-reading
> "Reach of Tide" and it felt like one boat, one trip.  Maybe I gotta
> stop reading in bed.  :-) ...
Dissent is what rescues democracy from a quiet death behind closed doors. (Lewis H. Lapham)

Many years ago….geez, as I get older….it was in the eighties....I was sailing my 8’ El Toro in the lower river out of the John Day River launch off Hwy 30 east of Astoria. Sailed it out among the islands in the protection of Cathlamet Bay to the extent able. Well as nature would have it, had to piddle so beached best I could on one of the little spits therein, all covered with tall grass. Turned out with the tide being in, the “island” was covered with water which didn’t show due to the tall grass. So I walked/waded a few feet, piddled basically in the river, on the island, in the tall grass. When I got back in the El Toro my sailing partner indicated I had a leech on my calf. Being squeamish about leeches I grabbed it by the tail end, flung it in the air and…it landed right back on my leg. I may have screamed like a little girl, can’t recall precisely……

Two of us in an 8’ boat, that was back in the day when I still was able to bend and flex and move around under my own power in ways I can only remember now.

Rich

Jove Lachman-Curl

Oh man! That's a great story! :)

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 5:56 AM Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:

[...]

Allen Bennett

Nice boat Mark.  Congrats.  I've attached two files containing a bit of info on the Columbia downstream of Cathlamet.  They were stolen from the Cathlamet Yacht Club.  They may be a bit dated but hopefully there is something useful in them for your planning.

Myles Twete

Also, don’t forget the Columbia River Water Trail (Sam McKinney was the instigator behind creating this 25+yrs ago):

https://www.estuarypartnership.org/water-trails/columbia-river

Campsites along the river noted…

Nice boat Mark.  Congrats.  I've attached two files containing a bit of info on the Columbia downstream of Cathlamet.  They were stolen from the Cathlamet Yacht Club.  They may be a bit dated but hopefully there is something useful in them for your planning.

Mark Neuhaus

Thank you Allen and Myles for the information.  I have copies of several older State and private publications, videos, and downloaded websites. Many have out-dated info which I hope to update. At some point, I will upload my data in a message and maybe it will be a benefit to all of us. Maybe even have a page on coots.org that has info from other folks' travels?