Topics

lots of reading material on shipbuilding

MylesJ Swift

I friend of mine sent me this link to a list of interest to boat lovers and builders. They seem to be on a slow server, only bring up one page at a time, and have lots of blank pages before you get to the good stuff, but the price is right. Hit the highlighted PDF at the end of each title and then click on the first box below the link which will be labelled Open Link

Library-Shipbuilding (survivorlibrary.com)

Much more than just shipbuilding in this collection. Thanks, Myles.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/3yycc5ql

or

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/index.php/8-category/123-library-shipbuilding

"Ship Building Made Easy" Hmmm. <g> Alas, a lot of the illustrations are missing in the scans. Makes some of the books worthless. :o(

On 2/16/2021 11:45 AM, Myles J S wrote:
I friend of mine sent me this link to a list of interest to boat lovers and builders. They seem to be on a slow server, only bring up one page at a time, and have lots of blank pages before you get to the good stuff, but the price is right. Hit the highlighted PDF at the end of each title and then click on the first box below the link which will be labelled Open Link
Library-Shipbuilding (survivorlibrary.com)
Men with the muckrake are often indispensable to the well-being of society. (Theodore Roosevelt)

John McCallum is "walking on air" because he discovered a glossary of Duwamish words for the various parts of a canoe in the Survivor Library. :o)

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/types_of_canoes_on_puget_sound_1920.pdf

Now he's just gotta find someone who can figure out how to pronounce them...

Thanks again, Myles.

On 2/16/2021 1:08 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Much more than just shipbuilding in this collection. Thanks, Myles.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/3yycc5ql
or
http://www.survivorlibrary.com/index.php/8-category/123-library-shipbuilding
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion. (Francis Bacon)

Pete Leenhouts

John, that was such a great find!

One of the first books on the shipbuilding list was Cyril Ionides' "A Life Afloat", published in 1918. If anyone is looking for  a fantastic weekend read, that book would be at the top of my list.

The Coots page on the Boatshow is great too - what a nice place to show off the group!

WR/Pete
RIPTIDE

John McCallum is "walking on air" because he discovered a glossary of
Duwamish words for the various parts of a canoe in the Survivor Library. :o)

Now he's just gotta find someone who can figure out how to pronounce them...

Thanks again, Myles.

On 2/16/2021 1:08 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
> Much more than just shipbuilding in this collection. Thanks, Myles.
>

> or

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the
proportion. (Francis Bacon)

Jove Lachman-Curl

I can't find "a life afloat" on the shipbuilding list. what am I missing?
-Jove

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 4:49 PM Pete Leenhouts via groups.io <pleenhouts=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
John, that was such a great find!

One of the first books on the shipbuilding list was Cyril Ionides' "A Life Afloat", published in 1918. If anyone is looking for  a fantastic weekend read, that book would be at the top of my list.

The Coots page on the Boatshow is great too - what a nice place to show off the group!

WR/Pete
RIPTIDE

John McCallum is "walking on air" because he discovered a glossary of
Duwamish words for the various parts of a canoe in the Survivor Library. :o)

Now he's just gotta find someone who can figure out how to pronounce them...

Thanks again, Myles.

On 2/16/2021 1:08 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
> Much more than just shipbuilding in this collection. Thanks, Myles.
>

> or

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the
proportion. (Francis Bacon)

Jove Lachman-Curl

Ah, I see, the title is actually "a floating home". by Ionides.
-Jove

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 1:46 PM Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:
I can't find "a life afloat" on the shipbuilding list. what am I missing?
-Jove

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 4:49 PM Pete Leenhouts via groups.io <pleenhouts=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
John, that was such a great find!

One of the first books on the shipbuilding list was Cyril Ionides' "A Life Afloat", published in 1918. If anyone is looking for  a fantastic weekend read, that book would be at the top of my list.

The Coots page on the Boatshow is great too - what a nice place to show off the group!

WR/Pete
RIPTIDE

John McCallum is "walking on air" because he discovered a glossary of
Duwamish words for the various parts of a canoe in the Survivor Library. :o)

Now he's just gotta find someone who can figure out how to pronounce them...

Thanks again, Myles.

On 2/16/2021 1:08 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
> Much more than just shipbuilding in this collection. Thanks, Myles.
>

> or

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the
proportion. (Francis Bacon)

Pete Leenhouts

oops - sorry for the wrong steer. Pete

John McCallum is "walking on air" because he discovered a glossary of
Duwamish words for the various parts of a canoe in the Survivor Library. :o)

Now he's just gotta find someone who can figure out how to pronounce them...

Thanks again, Myles.

On 2/16/2021 1:08 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
> Much more than just shipbuilding in this collection. Thanks, Myles.
>

> or

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the
proportion. (Francis Bacon)

If you know where to look, there are lots of interesting old (mostly pre-1925 or so) books and magazines available online, though sometimes the scans leave something to be desired. Here are a few places to look:

Hathi Trust has some issues of the magazines we look at during the Multnomah Library trips, and lots of books:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008616733

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000599702

Plus, Forest & Stream; The Motor Boat; Power Boating; Yachting; Hunts Yachting Magazine; Sail and Sweep...

Project Gutenburg is the grandaddy of book digitization efforts:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Lots of stuff at the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/

My friend Craig O'Donnell has put some good boaty texts online (yes, he looks just like this in person <g>):

http://thecheappages.com/

And here's what I've got listed in The Mother Of All Maritime Links:

http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-08.html#ebooks

If you find anything else, let us know.

On 2/19/2021 4:49 PM, Pete L wrote:
John, that was such a great find!
One of the first books on the shipbuilding list was Cyril Ionides' "A Life Afloat", published in 1918. If anyone is looking for  a fantastic weekend read, that book would be at the top of my list.
The Coots page on the Boatshow is great too - what a nice place to show off the group!
Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat. (Craig O'Donnell)

Pete Leenhouts

A wonderful list, John, thank you. The information on windmills was also quite a bit more than expected - I had never known any of it. I've perused thousands of pictures of sailing ships, and never once have I seen one pictured with a windmill on deck!

WR/Pete
RIPTIDE