Looking For Boat Trailer

Randy Torgerson

My Tolman 21 Foot Widebody has been proceeding and I wanted to bring it to the Cathlamet Wooden and Classic Boat Show and the memorial messabout in Toledo also in august.  Unfortunately the great boat trailer shortage has thrown a wrinkle in my plans.  I was quoted March of 2022 for the trailer I wanted.  So I am looking for a used trailer that I can borrow, rent or buy.  I need a trailer that can load at least a 20 foot boat (21 foot preferred) and have a weight capacity of at least 2600 lbs (2800 preferred).

If you have something that fits my needs or know someone who has something please let me know.

Randy

Kay said she has some trailers Pat collected while trying to find the "perfect" trailer for their PK-20. There might be something you can use out there.

On 6/13/2021 10:59 AM, Randy T wrote:
My Tolman 21 Foot Widebody has been proceeding and I wanted to bring it to the Cathlamet Wooden and Classic Boat Show and the memorial messabout in Toledo also in august.  Unfortunately the great boat trailer shortage has thrown a wrinkle in my plans.  I was quoted March of 2022 for the trailer I wanted.  So I am looking for a used trailer that I can borrow, rent or buy.  I need a trailer that can load at least a 20 foot boat (21 foot preferred) and have a weight capacity of at least 2600 lbs (2800 preferred).

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

David Graybeal

Yes, there are some spares out there. I don't recall what all is there,  but I'll be going out that way again in a week or two, and can look for something suitable if you'd like...

I hope you're finally gonna be hauling that "perfect" trailer and the PK-20 on it home. ;o) Wasn't it gonna be ready for shad season? <g> That was a fun little messabout on the Willamette when Pat taught your boys how to catch shad. :o)

On 6/13/2021 5:30 PM, David G wrote:
Yes, there are some spares out there. I don't recall what all is there, but I'll be going out that way again in a week or two, and can look for something suitable if you'd like...
A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill. (Robert A. Heinlein)

David Graybeal

Between work at work, work at home fixing up the house to sell, researching properties for a hopeful 'family compound' out East of town, and general age-related slowness... I've been able to do very little with my own boats. But, yes, the PK20 is coming home soon - so K and family will have the covered area outside the shop to work in while they dismantle the shop in prep for the sale of her property.

It was a fun messabout. And the boys are looking forward to doing more.

Randy Torgerson

David,

Yes, please take a look.

Randy

Myles Twete

I once rented a trailer from Fairview Marine in order to launch The Reach of Tide...if all you need is to get the boat launched near Portland, then cruise to Cathlamet and back, maybe something like that could work.

Kay said she has some trailers Pat collected while trying to find the "perfect" trailer for their PK-20. There might be something you can use out there.

On 6/13/2021 10:59 AM, Randy T wrote:
My Tolman 21 Foot Widebody has been proceeding and I wanted to bring
it to the Cathlamet Wooden and Classic Boat Show and the memorial
messabout in Toledo also in august. Unfortunately the great boat
trailer shortage has thrown a wrinkle in my plans. I was quoted March
of 2022 for the trailer I wanted. So I am looking for a used trailer
that I can borrow, rent or buy. I need a trailer that can load at
least a 20 foot boat (21 foot preferred) and have a weight capacity of
at least 2600 lbs (2800 preferred).

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

Randy Torgerson

Myles,

I am considering renting a trailer if another solution does not present itself.  In addition to the great trailer and Tacoma V6 shortage there are also the great helm seat and outboard motor shortage.  I ordered the helm seats several months ago and they may arrive later this month or early next.  I am paying full price for them but I don’t have to pay until they ship.  I have been told that outboard dealers are asking for 50% deposits and prices above list for the motors.  The Suzuki 90 that I want for the main motor has a 5 month wait time which means I won’t get it this season; I have decided to wait before ordering it.  I am going to put my 9.9 kicker on the Tolman for launching and retrieval but I would not like to take the Tolman to Cathlamet only using the kicker.

The Tolman won’t be finished by August but I am hoping that I have completed enough that at least I can have some fun with it this summer.

Randy

On 6/14/2021 8:01 PM, Randy T wrote:
[Need a Tolman Trailer]

As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious. (Mark Twain)

Hmmm, I just fully read the story on it. The guy is wrong when he says OR doesn’t register a trailer lighter than 1800 lbs. It’s the trailer and load that must weigh less than 1800 lbs so with a at least a 900 lb boat on this trailer it needs to be titled. It suggests to me there may be no title……...

Not sure what this means for the trailer if anything. Could be an issue in titleing about ownership.

Rich G

On Jun 16, 2021, at 9:08 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

Rich G spotted this:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bpo/d/vancouver-ezloader-boat-trailer-17-to-22/7335833980.html

On 6/14/2021 8:01 PM, Randy T wrote:
[Need a Tolman Trailer]

As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious. (Mark Twain)

Case Turner

When I bought my cargo trailer (from a dealer new) just under 1,000 pounds (3,000#gvw) it wasn’t required to be titled or played. I went ahead and payed to title and register it. Same for the flat bed utility trailer I bought years ago, same dealer.

Probably a non issue and if one wanted to title and register it it probably wouldn’t be much of an issue as long as the guy has all of the original paperwork.

When I bought the Elver from the guy in Montana the trailer had no documentation but had been licensed in Montana. I got a bill of sale for it. Was easy trip to DMV to get it registered.

Case

Sent from not here

On Jun 16, 2021, at 10:55 PM, Richard Green <chaos5@viclink.com> wrote:

Hmmm, I just fully read the story on it. The guy is wrong when he says OR doesn’t register a trailer lighter than 1800 lbs. It’s the trailer and load that must weigh less than 1800 lbs so with a at least a 900 lb boat on this trailer it needs to be titled. It suggests to me there may be no title……...

Not sure what this means for the trailer if anything. Could be an issue in titleing about ownership.

Rich G

On Jun 16, 2021, at 9:08 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

Rich G spotted this:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bpo/d/vancouver-ezloader-boat-trailer-17-to-22/7335833980.html

On 6/14/2021 8:01 PM, Randy T wrote:
[Need a Tolman Trailer]

As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious. (Mark Twain)

Dirt

Richard Green

My experience with trailers has been from WA to OR can occasionally be tedious but doable. Along with your experience, I always register trailers that are anywhere near marginal and sometimes less than near as a title makes things so much easier despite having to pay to renew. Trailer theft is the defining factor at times. Having said that the trailer my 13’ Livingston sits on is not titled as the all up weight is so low.

Rich

On Jun 17, 2021, at 2:33 AM, Case Turner <casesturner@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Yep the main reason I title all my trailers is theft. My insurance agent told me long ago that if the trailer is stolen having it titled and registered makes it a lot easier to get your claim processed in a timely manner.

Case

Sent from not here

On Jun 17, 2021, at 10:10 AM, Richard Green <chaos5@viclink.com> wrote:

[...]

When I read "...so they can assign a VIN" I thought stolen trailer. I have owned three EZ Loader trailers all of them have come with VIN's.

My insurance agent said that if I wanted my truck insurance to cover the trailer, the trailer needed to be registered. Anything on the trailer is not covered by the truck insurance regardless whether the trailer was registered or not but would be my my home owners policy.

I have trailer insurance as part of my boat insurance.

Randy

On Jun 16, 2021, at 9:08 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

Rich G spotted this:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bpo/d/vancouver-ezloader-boat-trailer-17-to-22/7335833980.html

On 6/14/2021 8:01 PM, Randy T wrote:
[Need a Tolman Trailer]

As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious. (Mark Twain)

Dirt

View/Reply Online (#55499): https://groups.io/g/oregoncoots/message/55499
No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. New members have their messages moderated until after their first message is posted. Information about the Coots and their events can be found at http://www.coots.org/
Group Owner: oregoncoots+owner@groups.io

Jarom

That was my thought as well: this trailer is stolen if it didn't have a VIN.

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021, 3:20 PM Randy Torgerson <coots@...> wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of Monty Python...a "laden swallow" or an unladen one...
Along those lines: With extra fuel, camping gear, water for my steam boiler, etc. or can I ditch all that when I go out to get it weighed?

I figured (2 decades ago now) my boat trailer weighs about 300# and the steamboat under 700, so I've never bothered with a title.

Richard Green

As regards VIN’s on trailers I’ve owned….I seem largely to use used trailers with years on the frames and  they typically have had the trailer ’number’ on a sticker that long ago faded out.  Hence, I’ve had to apply for numbers through DMV several times over the years.

Rich G