Lateen - and - Crab Claw

Gerard Mittelstaedt

Just my opinion, I think the difference between the lateen as it is
designed and set in the Mediterranean, and the "Arab" dhow, Indian Ocean
is somewhat variable.
Many of the lateens in the Med. and Indian Ocean do not have booms.
Some (most) of the feluccas on the Nile in Egypt do have booms
and between the yard and boom on the fore ends there is a short bit of
chain or heavy line.

The traditional sails in much of the Pacific, sometimes called Crab Claw
are set at different angles... or so it seems to me, and the "booms"
on some are also at an angle... (Hawaiian and Tahitian from what I see
in illustrations). (Somewhere on a bookcase in the back room I have
a copy of Hornell which properly illustrates.)

I am of of the opinion that if it is humanly possible to rig some sort
of "sail" someone, somewhere has done it. I am astounded by the
pictures of "traditional" rigs in such as - Sailing Boats from Around
the World. the classic 1906 treatise - by Henry Coleman Folkard ...
and another book (misplaced now) of generally the same time period
which describes "native" craft from around the world (those Brits in
the age of the Empire examined and wrote about some amazing things.)
--
Gerard Mittelstaedt -- mittel48@gmail.com
McAllen, Texas