Topics

Interesting Podcasts

It looks like Furled Sails podcasts are defunct, but the old podcasts are still available. But no index that I can find. :o( :

http://noeld.libsyn.com/website

If you know what to look for, Googling might find it, like the Phil Bolger interview:

http://www.furledsails.com/article.php3?article=777

http://www.furledsails.com/article.php3?article=778

And an interview with John Guzzwell:

http://www.furledsails.com/article.php3?article=736

http://www.furledsails.com/article.php3?article=737

If you discover any other good ones let us know.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

Dean Grabski

Matt Rutherford has his single-handed podcast, but be forewarned it's a bit 'raw':

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 9:12 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
It looks like Furled Sails podcasts are defunct, but the old podcasts
are still available. But no index that I can find. :o( :

http://noeld.libsyn.com/website

If you know what to look for, Googling might find it, like the Phil
Bolger interview:

http://www.furledsails.com/article.php3?article=777

http://www.furledsails.com/article.php3?article=778

And an interview with John Guzzwell:

http://www.furledsails.com/article.php3?article=736

http://www.furledsails.com/article.php3?article=737

If you discover any other good ones let us know.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
atrocities. (Voltaire)

Randy Torgerson

John,

I found a list of podcasts here:. http://www.furledsails.com/howto.php3

Several years ago I took John Guzzwell's cold molded boat building class at the Center For Woodenboats, although I have yet to built a cold molded boat I found John and the class very interesting.

Randy

Thanks, Randy! It looks like there are a bunch of good interviews there.

From listening to John Guzzwell and reading Trekka and some of his articles, I think he'd be a good and interesting person to meet.

When he built a cold-molded boat, and it's Atkin dinghy, for his wife he'd become sensitized to epoxy, so he used an industrial Elmers "modified" PVA glue that I think must have been about like Titebond II. After laying up the hull he hired a crew to sheath it with FG and epoxy. I've seen both boats at the Port Townsend fest years later and they were doing fine.

https://flic.kr/p/3f3Rff

http://atkinboatplans.com/Photos/Katydidnt/

On January 1, 2020 9:26:01 PM PST, Randy Torgerson <coots@...> wrote:
John,

I found a list of podcasts here:. http://www.furledsails.com/howto.php3

Several years ago I took John Guzzwell's cold molded boat building
class at the Center For Woodenboats, although I have yet to built a
cold molded boat I found John and the class very interesting.

A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought. (Lord Peter Wimsey)
Sent from some sort of mobile device.

Randy Torgerson

John,

John Guzzwell, in the class and his other boat builds, used Wonderbond, a catalyzed PVA which is boil proof. We would use a spritzer bottle to add the catalyst to get the right ratio.  John talked about building his wife's boat and having a crew put the fiberglass on.  The dingy we build in the class was the Atkins Petey Dink CM, which based on Katydidn't.  Somewhere I have a cut off from the hull that has the three layers of Khaya Mahogany, effectively we made plywood.

On of the stories John told was when he was interned in Germany during WWII, he and other children convinced a German sergeant to let them go outside the castle to play.  The sergeant was not seen again, most likely was transferred to the Russian front.

Randy

Richard Green

Saw Dolly at the PT show a couple years when a little Japanese lady owned it.  Very small interior but of course beautifully done.

Rich

On Jan 2, 2020, at 5:50 AM, Randy Torgerson <coots@...> wrote:

John,

John Guzzwell, in the class and his other boat builds, used Wonderbond, a catalyzed PVA which is boil proof. We would use a spritzer bottle to add the catalyst to get the right ratio.  John talked about building his wife's boat and having a crew put the fiberglass on.  The dingy we build in the class was the Atkins Petey Dink CM, which based on Katydidn't.  Somewhere I have a cut off from the hull that has the three layers of Khaya Mahogany, effectively we made plywood.

On of the stories John told was when he was interned in Germany during WWII, he and other children convinced a German sergeant to let them go outside the castle to play.  The sergeant was not seen again, most likely was transferred to the Russian front.

Randy

Dolly was designed as an _enlarged_ Trekka! With other mods. The nice little Japanese lady is Hiroko Sugiyama. I've talked to her at the PT fest, but didn't know she runs a Culinary Atelier:

https://www.hirokosdolly.com/about

On 1/2/2020 10:09 AM, Ric G wrote:
Saw Dolly at the PT show a couple years when a little Japanese lady owned it.  Very small interior but of course beautifully done.
I can't take a well-tanned person seriously. (Cleveland Amory)