Topics

Hopeless Boat Nut

antec007

Pretty cool. I guess my idea wasn't so crazy or even "New"
(Let me know when you see a Truly "New" idea. "Cummins figures the IC
engine reached maturity by then, further development has just been
refinement!")
But that's what I was jokingly talking about. 360 degree
steering, turn the motor sidways and go sideways. Real
maneuverability. Like on of the big tugs.
Looks like a nice arrangement. Could also simplify motor control.
Put a couple of levers to extend throttle and shift
and attach a wheel or handlebars to the and straddle it
like a motorcycle.(aarhg, Am I describing a PWC?)
Wonder if that would work on my GP-16/18.
I'm still trying come up with a control system for it.
(One that won't cost me any money.)
I think having prop at stern would be better for a landing craft.

Question on terms.
Semi-planing and semi-dory. As in a semi-planing semi-dory.

BWT "The sail I have is for a Brick/Teal/Surf" (jk)
That is Bolger's generic, one size fits all sail.
Rudder and leeboard are likewise the same for
Elegant Punt #279 Surf #287 Teal #310, and I think a lot of others.
Surf was enlarged Elegant Punt, as Bolger thought the sail
rig for the Elegant Punt "was out of proportuion to the cost of the
hull" adding 4' to each end. He seems to like Surf better,
but "It" won't fit in the back of a Pick-up.
Kind of a cool idea for small sailboats, as sail rigs usually
cost as much as the boat. One rig, lots of boats.
I can only sail one at a time, and it takes about two
minutes to swap them, if you don't hurry.

I kind of liked that Cape Cod Frosty. I can carry my "Toad",
but not fully rigged. Would be fun to sail into a "Model
Boat Regatta" in one of those things screaming "Starboard".

No reservations needed at Detroit campground this weekend.

Pat

--- In MessaboutW@y..., jhkohnen@b... wrote:
Pat-

I've got the bows and sterns of drift boats all mixed up and can't
make
heads or tails of what you're trying to do to that poor boat. <g>
But Harry
V. Sucher has plans for some flat-bottomed skiffs with an outboard
in a
well forward (the pointy end, it's easier to tell which end is
which in an
ordinary skiff) in "Simplified Boatbuilding". Here's what he has to
say:

"Many small skiffs, and particularly those whose lines indicate
their
function as moderate-speed displacement hulls, will perform better
and
carry larger loads when powered by an outboard if the engine is
placed
forward of amidships in a well. While this arrangement may appear
somewhat
unorthodox to boatmen not familiar with this practice, it has been
well
proven in several types of skiffs. The advantages are that the
operator
sitting well forward does not add his weight to that of an engine
placed in
the conventional manner in the stern, and much of the danger
of'being
swamped by a stern sea is eliminated. The weight of the load to be
carried
can then be easily arranged with the center of gravity just aft of
amidships, and the bow can be kept well immersed to cut down
pounding. The
propeller appears to function quite efficiently as a tractor unit,
and the
boat is steered by swinging the engine in the usual manner."

He mentions the Florida mullet skiff as an example of a working
skiff with
an outboard forward. Here's Sucher's 15 1/2 foot skiff:

.gif

I like the outboard too! ;o) There's even a 19 1/2 footer rigged as
an
(occasional) offshore salmon troller in the book!

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:53:23 -0000, Pat wrote:
I guess one could accomplish the same thing by cutting
a motor well a few feet from the High Bow end in a drift
boat, and motoring backward. Or even in the center, with
a 360 degrees turning motor and go either way, or with
skill, even sideways. (Now there's an "Idea")
Must not be a "Great Idea", as I have never seen it done.
John <jkohnen@b...>
http://www.boat-links.com/
Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet two
conditions:
1. He is a Greek
2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>