Topics

Hopeless Boat Nut

antec007

Sounds like fun.
The other great thing with motoring in a standard drift
boat is that, when trimmed for a short shaft motor, the
bow is many feet in the air, creating quite a nice sail.
Running downwind is a "Breeze".
Just pray your final distination is in that direction.

(btw)
Not to down rate standard drift boats, but, that which makes
a Rapid Robert so funny looking on a a trailer or in the
water, the towering 18" high "Bow", and 30" high transom,
make it a more comfortable motor boat.
Mine still will not plane, even with my 15 HP and light,
because of the slight rocker cut in the last
16" of the botton.
Ray Heater claims his boats will, and I have seen pictures.
But then, he is a "Magic Man" when it comes to boats.
Actually a Rapid Rober is going backward when motoring.
(I still have a hard time determing which end is "Front")
I guess one could accomplish the same thing by cutting
a motor well a few feet from the High Bow end in a drift
boat, and motoring backward. Or even in the center, with
a 360 degrees turning motor and go either way, or with
skill, even sideways. (Now there's an "Idea")
Must not be a "Great Idea", as I have never seen it done.

Have fun

Pat

Way too much time on my hands.

--- In MessaboutW@y..., "Sandy Thoms" <thoms@p...> wrote:
Speaking of hopeless boat nuts, (actually I'm not quite there yet,
but I
have had dream of a boat similar to the Nuisance), My kids (two at
4.5 years
old) greeted me at the door when I got home with a big smile and
the new WB
in hand. Pretty cool, huh?

So I just got back from the Willamette at Beltline (northwest
Eugene city
limits, for those of you that don't know layout of Stumptown.
That's
another story. Actually the place attracts a crowd that makes you
wonder if
your vehicle will still be there when you get back. At least
that's the
perception, most of the folks I meet there and other boat ramps on
the
Willamette look a bit rough, but seem to be pretty good folks.
Anyway, the
kids and I, took the driftboat out on a small quiet stretch of the
river
with my grandfathers 5 Hp Johnson Seahorse of, possibly, late
sixties
vintage. I just got a temporary reg and title today, so I'll stick
out like
a sore thumb without my numbers and tag for awhile, oh well.

So the motor worked quite well, after I got it running, and the
kids had a
ball. We went upstream into the base of the rapids until our max
velocity
equaled the current, the fell away at a quick rate. An interesting
thing to
note, is that the motor is not a long shaft, therefore it must be a
short
shaft, relatively speaking, and when attached to a driftboat
transom without
a cutout, the prop is just barely covered with water. That's with
myself,
the 30# anchor, a toolbox, the 5 gal gas tank in the stern and two
30# kids
just fore of amidships. So one has trim things a bit to make the
most of the
short shaft. The neat thing is that once you get a little speed
up, the
boat by default tends to wallow so our short shaft then becomes a
long
shaft, relatively speaking. The water intake, just above the prop,
then
finds itself in a much better location for actually working.
Another
interesting thing is that the driftboat, again by default, has much
rocker
to the bottom, so that one can make quick spins, or "pirouettes" as
all the
historians say. I found this isn't such a good property for motor
boats. I
thought the driftboat, under power, would be horribly squirrely,
but I was
quite surprised to find that it held a line pretty well.

S, ... much fun was had with the kids, a hand built wood boat, an
heirloom
motor, and only two hours of a pleasent August eve.

Stumptown? I saw that name on a USGS 7.5 minute quad, for that
area of
northwest Eugene. It was right there at Delta Sand and Gravel.
Interesting. GottagoreadmyWB