Topics

Hopeless Boat Nut

A while back I ran across a fellow in Newport working on the _sorriest_
looking ferro-cement boat. I talked to him for a while and was thinking,
"boy, this guy's got his work cut out for himself!" when he said, "and when
I'm done with this I've got my 103 footer". What? Where's that? "Anchored
up the bay by River Bend". Turns out she's an old fish packer, the MARGARET
ANN, 252126, IMO #7307512, built by the Fulton Shipyard at Antioch,
California for the Army in 1943, length 96.3' (for tonnage), beam 21.4',
193 GT, 131 NT. She was aptly named NUISANCE IV until the end of 1994.
"She's got a big fish tank forward-- that's going to be my swimming pool,
and a little tank aft that's going to be my hot tub!" I'd just bought an
ancient 15' motor launch and was feeling kind of like a desperately
hopeless boat nut, but talking to this fellow made me feel much better! <g>
MARGARET ANN is anchored up the bay so her owner doesn't have to pay
moorage fees.

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MaggieAnn/MaggieAnn-1.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MaggieAnn/MaggieAnn-2.jpg

I'm sure glad _I_ don't own her!

http://www.boat-links.com/
"Necessity is the mother of invention" is a
silly proverb. "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges"
is much nearer the truth. <Alfred North Whitehead>

jkck@...

--- In MessaboutW@y..., jhkohnen@b... wrote:
I'm sure glad _I_ don't own her!
Second that! I divide boats into two types: ones that you own and
ones that own you. I think that guy has two of the latter type.

Of course, maybe that old fish packer is basically sound, and he has
$200,000 that he is going to use to make it into a yacht!

Carter

antec007

Could spend that much just on Lysol. OOOOHHH ! !
A really Big Hole to throw money in.

Pat