Topics

Good Read

For several myears NW author Don Berry lived in a motorboat anchored out in Eagle Harbor. Alas, wealthy owners of shoreside houses don't much like looking at "water rats", and do everything they can to eradicate them. <sigh> But we can read about what it was like not so many years ago:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y29an5bs

or

http://web.archive.org/web/20040919110718/http://donberry.com/harbor2/harbor2.html

"Puget Sound, in the far northwest corner of the United States, is a gigantic fiord system with approximately 2000 miles of rugged coastline. The Sound includes everything from wilderness archipelagos to the mega-urban strip of Everett/Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia.

"Along this island-dotted inland sea there is a small group of people (certainly fewer than 100) who truly live on the water -- not at docks or marinas, but floating free. They live on the hook, out at anchor with no connections to shore and no other homes than their boats. They have no electricity except what they produce themselves, no running water, no telephone. Some are ordinary, some are eccentric, some are plain lunatics. All are fiercely independent. They know themselves and each other as "water rats."

"The name of the water rat game was best spoken by the skipper of the scow-schooner OBLIO in Eagle Harbor:

"'This is the closest thing to liberty I know. If I knew anything closer, I'd be there instead.'

"The book MAGIC HARBOR is a memoir of people and events from six years on the Puget Sound waters. Every word is true. Only one person's name and one boat name have been changed. (And believe me, the argument about that among the water rats lasted for two years.)"

When I saw this scow schooner on the shore of Eagle Harbor in 2004 I wondered if it was Oblio... (see attachment)

For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn? (Jane Austen)

elaineginader

Thank you John. Is this book in the Coot library I'd really like to read it.

Elaine

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020, 7:42 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
[...]

Magic Harbor was only published on the Interweb. Don Berry was an early adopter of online publishing, and had a Web page way back when. He's gone now, and his online works survive only on the WaybackMachine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040919230249/http://www.donberry.com/

I saved Magic Harbor to a CD years ago. I think it may be in the Coot Library.

His historical novels about Oregon are all good:

https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/berry_don_1932_2001_/#.X64RfFCIZaQ

On 11/12/2020 7:48 PM, elaine wrote:
Thank you John. Is this book in the Coot library I'd really like to read it.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y29an5bs
or

http://web.archive.org/web/20040919110718/http://donberry.com/harbor2/harbor2.html

Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt. (Clarence Darrow)