Topics

Good Girl For Sale

Joe Novello

Hi All,

I’m sure some of you know this boat. Andrew Linn spent a lot of time really sprucing her up with new rigging and a new weighted centerboard.  I’ve had the boat just about a year and have kept her up with new varnish, sparfly and some lines.

COVID happened and the Salish 100 didn’t, which is what I bought the boat for. I’ve been sailing it in Eugene and have the slip there for another month.  I’m selling the boat for what I paid $1200 which is a fantastic deal.   I’m posting it here before I do a blitz on the internet. It would be cool for one of our own crew to get it.

Good Girl is a Neptune 16. You can find out all kinds of information about her on the internet, or contact me if you have any questions.  I’ll say it is one of the easiest boats I’ve ever sailed and unbelievably stable - I can stand on the rail, even with the board up and it hardly lists.  It’s just a fantastic boat.

Please respond to me: joenovello3@... if you are interested.

--
Joe Novello

Good Girl has got to be the nicest Neptune/Newport 16 around. I was looking her over Thursday, and admiring how well Joe's kept her up. She's a steal at $1200! Somebody was trying to sell the not nearly so nice one on E Dock for $1700 last year...

Good Girl has got to be about the best boat name around too... :o)

On 8/1/2020 6:15 PM, Toledo Joe wrote:
Hi All,
I’m sure some of you know this boat. Andrew Linn spent a lot of time really sprucing her up with new rigging and a new weighted centerboard. I’ve had the boat just about a year and have kept her up with new varnish, sparfly and some lines.
I’m selling the boat for what I paid $1200 which is a fantastic deal.   I’m posting it here before I do a blitz on the internet. It would be cool for one of our own crew to get it.
Good Girl is a Neptune 16. You can find out all kinds of information about her on the internet, or contact me if you have any questions. I’ll say it is one of the easiest boats I’ve ever sailed and unbelievably stable - I can stand on the rail, even with the board up and it hardly lists.  It’s just a fantastic boat.
Please respond to me: joenovello3@... <mailto:joenovello3@...> if you are interested.

Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form. (Vladimir Nabokov)

elaineginader

Hey Joe,

Do you have any inside pictures of your Neptune?

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020, 6:15 PM Joe Novello <joenovello3@...> wrote:
[...]

I’m sorry - I don’t. I’ll be back in Eugene next Sunday through Thursday and can take pictures then.

Joe

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 9:43 PM Joe Novello via groups.io <joenovello3=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

If someone is really impatient, I broke the gate code for D Dock, so I can take some snaps of Good Girl, if needed.

I sure hope one of Us gets her!

On 8/1/2020 9:43 PM, Toledo Joe wrote:
I’m sorry - I don’t. I’ll be back in Eugene next Sunday through Thursday and can take pictures then.
Nearly all of our disasters come from a few fools having the courage of their convictions. (Coventry Patmore)

Josh

Rose and I are very interested, we've been looking at an oday daysailer but it's really more of a race boat than we prefer. We're off work on Thursday and Friday, any chance of seeing her?

Joe Novello

Greetings All,

Good Girl has new caretakers. Recent Coots members Rose and Josh Mead took ownership on Thursday.   Good Girl will be staying in Eugene and on Fern Ridge until the water runs out. Rose and Josh are experienced boaters, but new to sailing. I'm sure they will be having a lot of fun on this new adventure. There may be opportunities for some of our members to offer them advice on their new journey.

Thank you all for the many inquiries.

Joe

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:15 PM Joe Novello <joenovello3@...> wrote:
[...]

Congratulations, Josh and Rose.

Here's a bit of advice that's not just for newbies to sailing -- if Good Girl doesn't have telltales on the jib, at least, put some on. Telltales let you see how the wind is flowing over the sails before the sail begins to luff, or you notice a loss of power from the sail stalling. Basically, when sailing above a broad reach, you want the jib telltales to stream back on both sides of the sail, then trim the main so it's just not luffing. or if it's got luff telltales they're steaming on both sides. Everybody is a better sailor with telltales, no matter what some old salts might say. <g>

"Some old salts refer to telltales as training wheels, preferring instead to watch the luffs of their sails as a guide to trimming sails and steering the boat. Yet telltales provide a far more accurate indication of optimum sail trim and course to steer than do the sails themselves. Not using them is like relying on your senses of hearing, touch and smell rather than your engine gauges to determine if your engine is operating efficiently."

http://www.jasperandbailey.com/tech/news.html

http://www.wyc.org.uk/fevanationals/docs/luff_telltales.pdf

On 8/7/2020 5:53 AM, Toledo wrote:
Greetings All,
Good Girl has new caretakers. Recent Coots members Rose and Josh Mead took ownership on Thursday.   Good Girl will be staying in Eugene and on Fern Ridge until the water runs out. Rose and Josh are experienced boaters, but new to sailing. I'm sure they will be having a lot of fun on this new adventure. There may be opportunities for some of our members to offer them advice on their new journey.
Thank you all for the many inquiries.
Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday. (Don Marquis)

Josh

We took Good Girl out for a couple hours. Had a stiff breeze on the lake once away from shore. She handled beautiful, this was Rose's first time ever on a sailboat and she had the helm through tacking, jibing and various sail experimenting. Coming back to dock things got interesting, there were strong gusts and in between not enough wind for steerage so we did some funny antics. In the end that part was great practice on changing tacks. Paddles got us back into our slip but we'll definitely get an electric outboard when we can afford to.
We love the boat and are delighted to be the ones to look after her for a while.

Joe Novello

Josh - I’m so happy for you. It was meant to be, I’m glad it is working out - she is truly a Good Girl!

Joe

PS - John’s advice about tell tales is spot on! After 50 years of sailing I still use them.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 8:42 PM Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:

We took Good Girl out for a couple hours. Had a stiff breeze on the lake once away from shore. She handled beautiful, this was Rose's first time ever on a sailboat and she had the helm through tacking, jibing and various sail experimenting. Coming back to dock things got interesting, there were strong gusts and in between not enough wind for steerage so we did some funny antics. In the end that part was great practice on changing tacks. Paddles got us back into our slip but we'll definitely get an electric outboard when we can afford to.
We love the boat and are delighted to be the ones to look after her for a while.

--
Joe Novello

Glad you had a good sail, and nobody got too scared. <g> It got a bit brisk out there yesterday afternoon. I've decided I'm getting too old for gusts into the 20s (mph), at least until I get Tuffy's reefing worked out. <g>

The wind can do strange things near Richardson Butte. It's not uncommon to sail across the lake in no time, then spend an hour on the last bit in Richardson Bay. <g> Orchard Point marina is easier to get in and out of, but it's not nearly as nice a park as Richardson.

Don't go overboard on an electric trolling motor. I'll bet one of the 30 lb. thrust Minn Kotas will do the job for you, and you can usually find them on sale somewhere for around a hundred bucks.

On 8/7/2020 8:42 PM, Josh wrote:
We took Good Girl out for a couple hours. Had a stiff breeze on the lake once away from shore. She handled beautiful, this was Rose's first time ever on a sailboat and she had the helm through tacking, jibing and various sail experimenting. Coming back to dock things got interesting, there were strong gusts and in between not enough wind for steerage so we did some funny antics. In the end that part was great practice on changing tacks. Paddles got us back into our slip but we'll definitely get an electric outboard when we can afford to.
We love the boat and are delighted to be the ones to look after her for a while.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking. (John Maynard Keynes)