Good Fern Ridge Weekend, EV notes

Electri-Cal

Good idea John !!  Gotta love those new docks, with good bumper rails ao the ramp also, hope they used stainless screws overall.  I think I will put Fern Ridge back on my list, with Dorena and Lookout, in season..  Cottage Grove lake is too low yet, Dexter too boring.   The weather was spot on, in my opinion, and summer is here mostly, could use a bit more water but we all floated, and the depth showed plenty, except 1ft. 4in. about 50 yards from the coot hangout on the far side.  I tried a couple places, no go there.   Good to see as many as showed up, and had to take care of some trailer rules, but there could be an area where those can be hitched, even if it costs a few bucks, maybe inside the fenced area behind the host trailer for a few who need to go into town without the trailer.  Not a big deal, but another thing to consider, I might bring some chain for the wheels, harder to steal with axles and tires locked on.  With the economy, that might be a good solution for ease of mind.

 I think I'll give the newest battery pack five stars, I ran at hull speed, with some fun hot rodding, for one full day, and one several hours before leaving.  Still had full throttle at the end, seems like plenty to go for a weekend, as long as cruise is at 4 mph gps, as hull speed.  I can feel the step,about there as the amps starts to rise, but only the sound increases and that's inefficient for good use.  Once again, electric works for hull speed cruising, so the longer and more efficient the hull, the way better the performance.  I would also venture to add that bottom rocker, or any curve is not helpful, rise and fall, or side leaning both have a slowing effect.  Electric likes flat, smooth, and calm a lot.  Might have done a 3 day weekend, but I need a better overall battery monitoring instrument, I put one in, but haven't hooked it up, because one day was enough sitting, and then went home.

A few notes, again thanks for a good weekend,  Cal

Well got my new little boat outside yesterday to check the rigging and remind myself how it goes together.

On Apr 19, 2021, at 7:03 AM, Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

[...]

It was a wonderful messabout! :o) It sure felt good to get together again with a codgery of Ol' Coots for BS and boating. We all had our Covid jabs, so we could relax and get together almost like old times. :o) It's not my fault -- Dan from Almostcanada was the instigator for the messabout. A while back he asked, "if I come to Fern Ridge in the middle of April would anybody come out and play with me?"

I think the best part was the raftup we did Saturday evening in the cove on the other side of the Yacht Club (it takes a lot of breath to say that all the time, I see that some Fern Ridge sailors call it Bang's Cove, after the farm family next to Richardson Park). We had dinner, then a little remembrance for Bob Mitsch, followed by a good BS session until the sun went down. We'll have to do that again! :o)

The County can be unfriendly, but the Richardson park management go out of their way to make the park users happy. I'll check with Sarah soon about a safe (from County park rangers) place to park unattached boat trailers.

I'm glad you've got Surprise set up well now, Cal. Stop fiddling with her and go have some fun! ;o)

It's really too bad there's no way to recharge batteries at the parks on Fern Ridge...

On 4/19/2021 7:03 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
[...]
On a Day when the wind is perfect. The sail just needs to open and the world is full of beauty. Today is such a day. (Rumi)

Jove Lachman-Curl

if you put 10 cars in series with jumper cables would you have 120 enough to charge batteries? ha. that would be a funny sight in the parking lot.
-Jove

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 4:45 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
> [...]

> plenty to go for a weekend, as long as cruise is at 4 mph gps, as hull
> speed.  I can feel the step,about there as the amps starts to rise, but
> only the sound increases and that's inefficient for good use.  Once
> again, electric works for hull speed cruising, so the longer and more
> efficient the hull, the way better the performance.  I would also
> venture to add that bottom rocker, or any curve is not helpful, rise and
> fall, or side leaning both have a slowing effect.  Electric likes flat,
> smooth, and calm a lot.  Might have done a 3 day weekend, but I need a
> better overall battery monitoring instrument, I put one in, but haven't
> hooked it up, because one day was enough sitting, and then went home.
On a Day when the wind is perfect. The sail just needs to open and the
world is full of beauty. Today is such a day. (Rumi)

Might need to hook up another string of ten in parallel for a faster charge. <g>

There's electricity to the shed by the sewage pumpout dock. It wouldn't need to be very expensive to run wires out to the dock for a few 120 volt charging outlets. The park could charge something to tie up there overnight for a charge (discounted if you already have a slip). But the County Parks are broke, so don't expect anything like that to happen anytime soon...

Did you get you Windrose launched, Jove? I'm glad you showed up for the messabout with River and Arwen. Bob is keeping his Scamp at Richardson for the season. Maybe you can arrange for Arwen to go Scamp sailing sometime.

On 4/20/2021 8:40 AM, Jove wrote:
if you put 10 cars in series with jumper cables would you have 120 enough to charge batteries? ha. that would be a funny sight in the parking lot.
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. (Carl Jung)

Jove Lachman-Curl

I'd love to try out a scamp, I've read great things. and I bet Awen would too.
I did get the windrose 18 in on Sunday evening, over at Orchard point, and sailed for an hour or two with River and Awen. Such a good little boat and so responsive compared to my big boat I've been sailing lately.
I got out again last night for a quick sail with Awen when I was going out to check I'd put her in the right slip in the dusk. (I'd forgotten to check when we pulled her in).
We've named her "Winnie" because last year someone said "she's kind of a winnie the pooh kind of boat, good for picnics". And it just happens to go with windrose as a plus.
Good to see you John, and others.
image.png

On 4/20/2021 8:40 AM, Jove wrote:
> if you put 10 cars in series with jumper cables would you have 120
> enough to charge batteries? ha. that would be a funny sight in the
> parking lot.

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. (Carl Jung)

Myles Twete

I’m guessing folks are using boat packs that are multiples of 12v generally, so assuming a DC “jump” to charge batteries, it’s even easier and fewer cars required…only some very long jumper cables .
48v pack: connect 4 cars' batteries in series, then run long jumper cables to your boat pack...or, do that to charge a "48v jump pack" that is on a hand truck or cart, then after charged, roll that out to the dock to jump your boat pack directly.