Topics

Glad I Live on the Wet Side

I was watching a TV show that made me think of the "Whoop-up Trail" from Ft. Benton in Montana north to a trading fort in what's now Alberta in the late 1800s. There was prohibition in Montana, at least for Indians, and no law in that part of Canada... The Whoop-up Trail ran right by, or even through, where the town my Dad grew up sprang up -- Shelby, Montana -- so while looking up the trail I also looked at the Wikipedia page for Shelby. This is what a contributor had to say about the climate:

"Shelby has four distinct seasons, and is considered an arid climate. Long, severe winters give way to springlike weather anywhere from March to May. Summers can be extremely dry and hot, though it is not unusual to experience a snow flurry in July. The area is prone to heat, lightning, hail, and severe thunderstorms during the summer months. Fall weather is often unpredictable, with snow falling during October some years, and temperatures well into the 80s stretching until the end of November on other years. Due to the city's location just off of the Rocky Mountain Front, wind is a constant."

Sounds like someone who lived there. ;o)

Looks like a cousin of mine still publishes the newspaper there. I'm not quite sure how the Kavanaughs are related to me. They've run the Promoter for generations.

http://www.cutbankpioneerpress.com/site/about.html

My sister an I still get a royalty check every year from our share of the natural gas that was found under the old farm. About $7. <g>

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. (Eric Blair)

Happy for some mild temps and a bit of rain overnight and so far this morning!

Rich

On Jun 15, 2020, at 7:53 AM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

[...]

Randy Torgerson

John,

Around the turn of the last century, my grandfather staked a claim in Montana for 160 acres on his way from North Dakota to Tacoma.  The land was supposed to have natural gas on it and has been under lease ever since.  The land has never been drilled and my dad and my uncles, all in their nineties, don't bother to split the check anymore since it as grown so small.  Three of my great uncles staked their claim on farmland near Ethridge, Montana and grew wheat.  When my family visited the farm in the mid 60's the farm did not fully support my great uncles; they all had full time jobs.  Many years ago one of my cousins who managed the entire operation and was looking for someone to take it over as she was retiring.  I don't know what happened with the farm but with only 480 acres it not a viable operation.

Randy

I see that Ethridge is just up the road a bit from Shelby, about halfway to Cutbank. I'll bet the weather there is no better than in Shelby. <g> Google Maps shows a Lloyd Torgerson Inc. farm equipment dealer just outside Ethridge. Must be one of your cousins.

I don't know when my grandfather moved to Shelby, but it may have been after my dad was born, in Great Falls, in 1910. My Uncle John, ten years older than my dad, was the first graduate of Shelby High School. If I remember the story right, there were four or five kids in the first senior class, but Uncle John was the only one who didn't drop out or flunk. <g>

But there's not much boating around Shelby...

On 6/15/2020 9:08 PM, Randy T wrote:
Three of my great uncles staked their claim on farmland near Ethridge, Montana and grew wheat.  When my family visited the farm in the mid 60's the farm did not fully support my great uncles; they all had full time jobs.  Many years ago one of my cousins who managed the entire operation and was looking for someone to take it over as she was retiring.  I don't know what happened with the farm but with only 480 acres it not a viable operation.
The ocean is an object of no small terror. (Edmund Burke)