From: Andrew Linn <alinn@...>
Date: 9/2/19 19:44 (GMT-07:00)
To: Coots <oregoncoots@groups.io>, Duckworks Forum <dwforum@...>
Subject: [oregoncoots] Finished out the SoF canoe

Rather than write a new set of pages, I just appended to the previous
build essay. Scroll down until you see new info.
http://andrewlinn.com/2019/190824_igo/index.htm

A good photo essay, as always. Next time, instead of almost a thousand staples why dontja try this stuff:

https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001144X3E/themotherofal-20

It's what the Retired Old Geezers are using on my little Geodesic Airolite boat. We don't yet know for sire how it will turn out, but Platt Monfort himself specifies it, and he should know. It's strong in sheer, but not so good at peel strength, so you need to sandwich the joints under rubrails, or whatever. You do that anyway.

--
John (@Jkohnen)
An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens. (Thomas Jefferson)

Andrew Linn

$3 for 10 yards beats $12 for 1250 ss staples, that's for sure. Shear is where it's at. Thankee!

On 9/2/2019 8:17 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
A good photo essay, as always. Next time, instead of almost a thousand staples why dontja try this stuff:

https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001144X3E/themotherofal-20

It's what the Retired Old Geezers are using on my little Geodesic Airolite boat. We don't yet know for sire how it will turn out, but Platt Monfort himself specifies it, and he should know. It's strong in sheer, but not so good at peel strength, so you need to sandwich the joints under rubrails, or whatever. You do that anyway.

On 9/2/2019 6:44 PM, Andrew wrote:
Rather than write a new set of pages, I just appended to the previous build essay. Scroll down until you see new info.
http://andrewlinn.com/2019/190824_igo/index.htm

Jove Lachman-Curl

I used heat and bond tape on my SOF Kayak, Per Plat instructions. Worked well and was very easy to work with.
They had it in the sewing section of Walmart for under $3.
I'll have to trust Plat for the durability aspect.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 9:20 PM Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:
$3 for 10 yards beats $12 for 1250 ss staples, that's for sure. Shear is
where it's at. Thankee!

On 9/2/2019 8:17 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
> A good photo essay, as always. Next time, instead of almost a thousand
> staples why dontja try this stuff:
>
> https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001144X3E/themotherofal-20
>
> It's what the Retired Old Geezers are using on my little Geodesic
> Airolite boat. We don't yet know for sire how it will turn out, but
> Platt Monfort himself specifies it, and he should know. It's strong in
> sheer, but not so good at peel strength, so you need to sandwich the
> joints under rubrails, or whatever. You do that anyway.
>
> On 9/2/2019 6:44 PM, Andrew wrote:
>> Rather than write a new set of pages, I just appended to the previous
>> build essay. Scroll down until you see new info.
>> http://andrewlinn.com/2019/190824_igo/index.htm

Not to mention avoiding the tedium of driving those almost 1000 staples, and then going back to bang on them with a hammer to make sure they're all the way home! <g> Platt Monfort says you only need to tack-weld the tape in place before you put the skin on, then you apply heat along the continuous length to stick everything to the frame. He also explains how to stick the fabric to the stem(s) without using lacing. Even if you don't ever want to build a Geodesic Airolite boat some of Monfort's tricks are worth considering. Kinda like Michael Storer's Puddle Duck and Goose plans for the square boat crowd. <g>

On 9/2/2019 9:20 PM, Andrew wrote:
$3 for 10 yards beats $12 for 1250 ss staples, that's for sure. Shear is where it's at. Thankee!
--
John (@Jkohnen)
I feel fairly certain that my hatred harms me more than the people whom I hate. (Max Frisch)

Lisa

WOW AND WHOOHOOO!!!
Lisa