Fern Ridge VIP Visit (was: Pelicans)


 

Dan from Almostcanada is going to be visiting Fern Ridge the weekend of April 16-17th. This isn't an "official" messabout, just a casual gathering of friends. Except for the bit about lunch, most of the useful info about mooring, camping and so on can be found on the Spring Messabout page (not working at the moment -- I was doing something to the Coots site, and I think I broke the hosting service! <g> Try again later if you fail to connect):

http://www.coots.org/mb/FernRidge/

"The Jungle" is the old channel of Coyote Creek in the southeast corner of the lake. It winds through a jungly forest, and then out into an open marsh and back to the open lake. A nice place to visit, but it's unlikely that there will be enough water in the lake in a couple of weeks to get through there. <sigh> Pray for rain! There are other places to anchor out, and transient slips and camping are available at Richardson Park. If you anchor out, you'll still need to get an overnight parking pass for your rig.

Can you come, Mark? If not, there's another chance for a weekend on Fern Ridge at the "official" Spring Messabout May 21-23.

On 3/30/2021 7:05 PM, Mark N wrote:

Maybe a few details? When/where are folks launching? Store the rigs there for the weekend? Anchoring out overnight in the Jungle, which is where 'exactly'?
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
The fact is that the average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice and truth. (H. L. Mencken)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Mark Neuhaus
 

Hi John,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:25 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

info about mooring, camping and so on can be found on the Spring
Messabout page (not working at the moment -- I was doing something to
the Coots site, and I think I broke the hosting service! <g> Try again
later if you fail to connect):

Thanks, I should have realized that was the way to go. 

"The Jungle" is the old channel of Coyote Creek in the southeast corner
of the lake. It winds through a jungly forest, and then out into an open
marsh and back to the open lake

I've seen it marked on maps, but when viewing imagery of the lake, could never see it.  

Can you come, Mark? If not, there's another chance for a weekend on Fern
Ridge at the "official" Spring Messabout May 21-23.

When I saw Dan's first post, I thought that might be an interesting trip away from Portland.  I wasn't sure if I wanted my first try at towing the Tolman to be someplace other than local.  Figured I might bring Moonlit Turtle instead. Didn't even get her on the water last year.  However, the neighbor across the street has a dumpster and outhouse in the road, making it difficult, but possible, to get it out of the driveway.  And the next door neighbors just had a POD delivered and it got set down in my turning radius to the other direction. So, right now it's a tossup as to which boat comes along.  If I can't do April, I will do May.  Hoping for both......

Mark


Dan
 

It would be good to see you, Mark, no matter which floatything you bring.
dan.


elaineginader
 

I agree


On Thu, Apr 1, 2021, 9:02 AM Dan <danashore@...> wrote:
It would be good to see you, Mark, no matter which floatything you bring.
dan.






Mark Neuhaus
 

I'm leaning towards the zoomie-thing, as it would be a more spacious accommodation. But at this point, I'm figuring to be there with one of them.


On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 8:02 AM Dan <danashore@...> wrote:
It would be good to see you, Mark, no matter which floatything you bring.
dan.
 


elaineginader
 

So glad that you're coming and I'llbeable to see your boat. Can we talk some more about the flags while we're there?

Elaine

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021, 12:35 PM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:
I'm leaning towards the zoomie-thing, as it would be a more spacious accommodation. But at this point, I'm figuring to be there with one of them.

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 8:02 AM Dan <danashore@...> wrote:
It would be good to see you, Mark, no matter which floatything you bring.
dan.
 


Dan
 

Flags? You mean like that ever-popular, "ZULU, JULIET, INTERROGATIVE,
NINE"? One of my favorites...since gone out of the International Book of
Signals, to our general loss. deep sigh. dan.


 

"I need a tug, I'm on fire? 9", or is it "I need a tug, I'm on fire, 9?"? See Scouts was too, too long ago... There's gotta be more to it than that. What does that flag combination mean? probably something unprintable, because Google was no help. <g>

On 4/9/2021 7:53 AM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
Flags? You mean like that ever-popular, "ZULU, JULIET, INTERROGATIVE,
NINE"? One of my favorites...since gone out of the International Book of
Signals, to our general loss. deep sigh. dan.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be. (Isaac Asimov)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com