Fern Ridge Spring Messabout, May 20-22nd

Friday to Sunday May 20-22nd. The main event is a picnic Saturday at a Corps of Engineers park across the lake from the campground. This year the Triton Yacht Club (the casual YC on the lake, not much different from Coots) will be finishing their Derring-Do Dinghy Dash at the picnic site. Should be fun! The rest of the weekend will involve exploring the lake, BSing, maybe a dinner or two in town (Veneta), maybe an evening sail or two, BSing around a campfire, and so on... The lake is full! So exploring the lake could include a circumnavigation of Gibson Island and/or a trip thorough "The Jungle".

http://www.coots.org/mb/FernRidge/

http://www.tritonyachtclub.net/

We hope you can make it!

A lawn is nature under totalitarian rule. (Michael Pollan)

Randy Torgerson

I have campsite 21 and slip E5 for Saturday night.    OzGooze Ed has campsite 21 and Elaine has campsite 19; I don't know what nights.

Does any one else have a campsite reservation?

Randy

elaineginader

I'm staying from Friday sometime to Sunday sometime. Camp site 19 no dock space I'll have my kayak.

Elaine

On Wed, May 4, 2022, 5:14 PM Randy Torgerson via groups.io <coots=avanthon.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have campsite 21 and slip E5 for Saturday night.    OzGooze Ed has
campsite 21 and Elaine has campsite 19; I don't know what nights.

Does any one else have a campsite reservation?

Randy

elaineginader

Hi,

Just wondering is the picnic on Saturday a bring your own lunch or a potluck?

Elaine

On Wed, May 4, 2022, 3:50 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Friday to Sunday May 20-22nd. The main event is a picnic Saturday at a
Corps of Engineers park across the lake from the campground. This year
the Triton Yacht Club (the casual YC on the lake, not much different
from Coots) will be finishing their Derring-Do Dinghy Dash at the picnic
site. Should be fun! The rest of the weekend will involve exploring the
lake, BSing, maybe a dinner or two in town (Veneta), maybe an evening
sail or two, BSing around a campfire, and so on... The lake is full! So
exploring the lake could include a circumnavigation of Gibson Island
and/or a trip thorough "The Jungle".

http://www.coots.org/mb/FernRidge/

http://www.tritonyachtclub.net/

We hope you can make it!

A lawn is nature under totalitarian rule. (Michael Pollan)

Edward Epifani

I’m #14 BTW…
OzGoose Ed

On May 7, 2022, at 2:11 PM, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

[...]

Bring your own lunch, but nobody'll mind if someone brings some goodies to share. <g>

We do have to come up with a cake for the Derring-Do Dinghy Dashers when they arrive at the finish at Shorelane. Mary has a good friend who likes to bake high-end gourmet cakes for fun, and mary is gonna see if she can supply a cake for us. That'd be great, but if it doesn't pan out we'll need an alternative...

On 5/7/2022 2:11 PM, elaine wrote:
Hi,
Just wondering is the picnic on Saturday a bring your own lunch or a potluck?
Every year back spring comes, with nasty little birds, yapping their fool heads off and the ground all mucked up with plants. (Dorothy Parker)

elaineginader

I can bake a cake but it's not going to be fancy.

Elaine

On Mon, May 9, 2022, 12:30 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Bring your own lunch, but nobody'll mind if someone brings some goodies
to share. <g>

We do have to come up with a cake for the Derring-Do Dinghy Dashers when
they arrive at the finish at Shorelane. Mary has a good friend who likes
to bake high-end gourmet cakes for fun, and mary is gonna see if she can
supply a cake for us. That'd be great, but if it doesn't pan out we'll
need an alternative...

http://www.coots.org/mb/FernRidge/

On 5/7/2022 2:11 PM, elaine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering is the picnic on Saturday a bring your own lunch or a
> potluck?

Every year back spring comes, with nasty little birds, yapping their
fool heads off and the ground all mucked up with plants. (Dorothy Parker)

Thanks, Elaine! The fancy cakemaker is too busy, so please do bake a cake. A cake doesn't have to be fancy to be Good and, indeed, some fancy cakes don't taste good. What's the point of that? <g> It'd be fun to put a Derring-Do Dinghy, or something else silly, in icing on the cake. Any ideas? The Triton YC burgee is pretty simple:

http://www.tritonyachtclub.net/events-calendar/derring-do-dinghy-dash

If anyone else likes baking cakes it couldn't hurt to have some extras. <g>

On 5/10/2022 12:46 PM, elaine wrote:
I can bake a cake but it's not going to be fancy.

As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first. (Joshua Slocum)

Dan

“Houston!  We’ve got a problem…”

Even though Jamie offered to help me with the driving, he really can’t reach the pedals.  A couple days ago, I declared an “inflight emergency” and got a hurry-up appointment with my eyeball doc.  Even with a regular regimen of pressure checks/glaucoma drops, and blood sugar monitoring, and all the normal stuff we old farts are err to, my vision had gone to hell in a handbasket.  Doing shop work and typing on this pooter screen had become more instinctive than precise.  Street signs were only readable, if I already knew what they said.  Well.  Seems those Cadillacs he’s been telling me about have “progressed” to a new level.  Both port and starboard.  With concentration I can still drive our rural highway to town and to the Big City when I must.  But driving in city traffic and on interstates, especially after dark, and when towing a 5,000 pound boat and trailer, has suddenly become a bad idea.  We did work up a “get by” new eyeglasses scrip that has yet to show up in the mail, and, it might bridge the gap.  But after, quite literally, busting arse outside in 10-above wx over an endless winter, TO GET READY FOR PLACES LIKE FERN RIDGE, I’m suddenly on-pause.  Sheesh, huh???

No Cadillac surgery sked yet.  No new (experimental) glasses in the mail, yet.  No joy in Mudville…dan and Jamie…

Darn! We were sure hoping to see you and Jamie at Fern Ridge. :o( I hope you get those Cadillacs taken care of before July. Are you sure you heard that right? I think your eye doctor was talking about the luxury cars he's gonna buy with the proceeds from your surgery. <g>

On 5/12/2022 8:01 AM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
[...]
It's remarkable how quickly a good and favorable wind can sweep away the maddening frustrations of shore living. (Ernest K. Gann)

elaineginader

Sad, really looking forward to seeing you.
Elaine

On Thu, May 12, 2022, 11:36 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Darn! We were sure hoping to see you and Jamie at Fern Ridge. :o( I hope
you get those Cadillacs taken care of before July. Are you sure you
heard that right? I think your eye doctor was talking about the luxury
cars he's gonna buy with the proceeds from your surgery. <g>

On 5/12/2022 8:01 AM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
> “Houston!  We’ve got a problem…”
>
> Even though Jamie offered to help me with the driving, he really can’t
> reach the pedals.  A couple days ago, I declared an “inflight emergency”
> and got a hurry-up appointment with my eyeball doc.  Even with a regular
> regimen of pressure checks/glaucoma drops, and blood sugar monitoring,
> and all the normal stuff we old farts are err to, my vision had gone to
> hell in a handbasket.  Doing shop work and typing on this pooter screen
> had become more instinctive than precise.  Street signs were only
> readable, if I already knew what they said.  Well.  Seems those
> Cadillacs he’s been telling me about have “progressed” to a new level.
>   Both port and starboard.  With concentration I can still drive our
> rural highway to town and to the Big City when I must.  But driving in
> city traffic and on interstates, especially after dark, and when towing
> a 5,000 pound boat and trailer, has suddenly become a bad idea.  We did
> work up a “get by” new eyeglasses scrip that has yet to show up in the
> mail, and, it might bridge the gap.  But after, quite literally, busting
> arse outside in 10-above wx over an endless winter, TO GET READY FOR
> PLACES LIKE FERN RIDGE, I’m suddenly on-pause.  Sheesh, huh???
>
> No Cadillac surgery sked yet.  No new (experimental) glasses in the
> mail, yet.  No joy in Mudville…dan and Jamie…

It's remarkable how quickly a good and favorable wind can sweep away the
maddening frustrations of shore living. (Ernest K. Gann)

Earl Boissonou

Dang, Dan....hope you get the procedure scheduled soon....I’ve had both mine done and it’s a game changer . Wish you luck.
Earl🧙‍♂️🌝⚓️🐷🏎

On May 12, 2022, at 11:36 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

[...]

You're welcome John, is there anyone that doesn't like or can't eat chocolate cake? I'll see about doing the burgy on top.

Elaine

On Wed, May 11, 2022, 2:32 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Thanks, Elaine! The fancy cakemaker is too busy, so please do bake a
cake. A cake doesn't have to be fancy to be Good and, indeed, some fancy
cakes don't taste good. What's the point of that? <g> It'd be fun to put
a Derring-Do Dinghy, or something else silly, in icing on the cake. Any
ideas? The Triton YC burgee is pretty simple:

http://www.tritonyachtclub.net/events-calendar/derring-do-dinghy-dash

If anyone else likes baking cakes it couldn't hurt to have some extras. <g>

http://www.coots.org/mb/FernRidge/

On 5/10/2022 12:46 PM, elaine wrote:
> I can bake a cake but it's not going to be fancy.

As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first. (Joshua Slocum)

Jim Young

Well Cheese Whiz Dan! Hope you get that remedied soon.

--
Jim Young,
mostly retired

elaineginader

Well I've run into some bad luck these days. My trailer won't be completed as I was told so I have to bring my kayak on top of my car. My guys will help me get it up there for the trip down but I'll need some assistance getting it off to enjoy the water and back up to leave. Would this be ok to ask for some help with some of you Coots that will be there? If not I'll be boatless.

Thanks,
Elaine

On Thu, May 12, 2022, 4:11 PM elaineginader via groups.io <elaineginader=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
You're welcome John, is there anyone that doesn't like or can't eat chocolate cake? I'll see about doing the burgy on top.

Elaine

On Wed, May 11, 2022, 2:32 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Thanks, Elaine! The fancy cakemaker is too busy, so please do bake a
cake. A cake doesn't have to be fancy to be Good and, indeed, some fancy
cakes don't taste good. What's the point of that? <g> It'd be fun to put
a Derring-Do Dinghy, or something else silly, in icing on the cake. Any
ideas? The Triton YC burgee is pretty simple:

http://www.tritonyachtclub.net/events-calendar/derring-do-dinghy-dash

If anyone else likes baking cakes it couldn't hurt to have some extras. <g>

http://www.coots.org/mb/FernRidge/

On 5/10/2022 12:46 PM, elaine wrote:
> I can bake a cake but it's not going to be fancy.

As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first. (Joshua Slocum)

Case Turner

Coots are always helpful. Bring your boat and it will get in the water.

Case

On May 14, 2022, at 3:49 PM, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

Well I've run into some bad luck these days. My trailer won't be completed as I was told so I have to bring my kayak on top of my car. My guys will help me get it up there for the trip down but I'll need some assistance getting it off to enjoy the water and back up to leave. Would this be ok to ask for some help with some of you Coots that will be there? If not I'll be boatless.

Thanks,
Elaine

On Thu, May 12, 2022, 4:11 PM elaineginader via groups.io <elaineginader=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
You're welcome John, is there anyone that doesn't like or can't eat chocolate cake? I'll see about doing the burgy on top.

Elaine

On Wed, May 11, 2022, 2:32 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Thanks, Elaine! The fancy cakemaker is too busy, so please do bake a
cake. A cake doesn't have to be fancy to be Good and, indeed, some fancy
cakes don't taste good. What's the point of that? <g> It'd be fun to put
a Derring-Do Dinghy, or something else silly, in icing on the cake. Any
ideas? The Triton YC burgee is pretty simple:

http://www.tritonyachtclub.net/events-calendar/derring-do-dinghy-dash

If anyone else likes baking cakes it couldn't hurt to have some extras. <g>

http://www.coots.org/mb/FernRidge/

On 5/10/2022 12:46 PM, elaine wrote:
> I can bake a cake but it's not going to be fancy.

As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first. (Joshua Slocum)

Dirt

Mark Neuhaus

Hi Elaine,

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 2:49 PM elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

up there for the trip down but I'll need some assistance getting it off to enjoy the water and back up to leave. Would this be ok to ask for some help with some of you Coots that will be there? If not I'll be boatless.

I'm hoping to arrive mid-afternoon on Friday.  I'll be glad to help unload your kayak. And, I suspect that if you asked anybody down near the boat ramp, Coot or not, they would be glad to help. Then, you'd have a chance to spin them some Coot philosophy!

Mark

Chocolate is a good, safe choice, Elaine. :o) If anyone else wants to bake a cake, there was a gal at the TYC party, Laurie, who likes lemon cake. She said she wasn't gonna do the Dinghy Dash because Saturday is her birthday, but she might be convinced to come if there is a lemon cake. I think she'll choose to do a regular, landlubber birthday party and skip the dash and messabout, but just in case...

On 5/12/2022 4:11 PM, elaine wrote:
You're welcome John, is there anyone that doesn't like or can't eat chocolate cake? I'll see about doing the burgy on top.
Your friend will argue with you. (Alexander Solzhenitsyn)

Bring chairs to Shorelane Park Saturday. There's only one picnic table there.

The marina host at Richardson, Shelley, has invited us to use the firepit near her trailer. The park will sell us firewood, but it wouldn't hurt to bring some of our own. And chairs to sit on.

The lake is a couple of inches _over_ full! The Corps has done a good job managing the lake level with finesse through the recent deluges. :o)

http://www.coots.org/mb/FernRidge/

http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/teacup/willamette/frn.pdf

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AyiR5AH7qpNp6gdkKgUHeoYiYUhSmi2CrdW--c6XSrU/edit#gid=0

The most important scientific revolutions all include, as their only common feature, the dethronement of human arrogance from one pedestal after another of previous convictions about our centrality in the cosmos. (Stephen Jay Gould)

Dan Pence

I will bring some firewood. I’ve got a bunch.