Fern Ridge Dam Closing Ceremony, Saturday, the 6th


 

The Corps of Engineers is supposed to put the plug back in at Fern Ridge today. Their reservoir Web pages are down, so I can't check on them... <sigh> I suppose I could drive by and look. <g>

http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/teacup/willamette/frn.pdf

To ensure that we get enough rain this late winter and spring to fill Fern Ridge let's meet at Orchard Point Park (ignore the Coot Calendar --
parking is easier at Orchard Point) at 1:00 Saturday to offer sacrifices to the rain gods and dance naked, or in weather appropriate clothing, on the docks at the launch ramp. Be prepared for social distancing and mask wearing. Bring lunch and something to sacrifice to the gods. In the past, people have brought samples of water from adventures on far waters, but I think the gods will be happy with libations.

We didn't have a dam closing ceremony last year and look what happened!!

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Winter blues are cured every time with a potato gratin paired with a roast chicken. (Alexandra Guarnaschelli)

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


elaineginader
 

I'll work at being there.


On Mon, Feb 1, 2021, 1:05 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
The Corps of Engineers is supposed to put the plug back in at Fern Ridge
today. Their reservoir Web pages are down, so I can't check on them...
<sigh> I suppose I could drive by and look. <g>

http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/teacup/willamette/frn.pdf

To ensure that we get enough rain this late winter and spring to fill
Fern Ridge let's meet at Orchard Point Park (ignore the Coot Calendar --
parking is easier at Orchard Point) at 1:00 Saturday to offer sacrifices
to the rain gods and dance naked, or in weather appropriate clothing, on
the docks at the launch ramp. Be prepared for social distancing and mask
wearing. Bring lunch and something to sacrifice to the gods. In the
past, people have brought samples of water from adventures on far
waters, but I think the gods will be happy with libations.

We didn't have a dam closing ceremony last year and look what happened!!

--
John <jkohnen@...>
Winter blues are  cured every time with a potato gratin paired with a
roast chicken. (Alexandra Guarnaschelli)

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com







Josh
 

Regrettably Saturday is a work day for me but I'll be there with you in spirit.
Josh 


Dan
 

Each messabout begins with a single trailer-hitching...dancing for rain,
here, too. Dan.


 

What's that white stuff?

On 2/2/2021 11:20 AM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
Each messabout begins with a single trailer-hitching...dancing for rain,
here, too. Dan.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
It's remarkable how quickly a good and favorable wind can sweep away the maddening frustrations of shore living. (Ernest K. Gann)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Claire Acord
 

It must be bleached out sawdust from Dan's latest massive building project...what else could it be?
stay safe out there
cheers
Claire


On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 12:46 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
What's that white stuff?

On 2/2/2021 11:20 AM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
> Each messabout begins with a single trailer-hitching...dancing for rain,
> here, too.  Dan.
--
John <jkohnen@...>
It's remarkable how quickly a good and favorable wind can sweep away the
maddening frustrations of shore living. (Ernest K. Gann)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com







 

The Corps didn't put the plug all the way in on the first, but they've kept the outflow low, and it looks like they _might_ let us have a bit of a head start on filling the lake:

https://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/teacup/willamette/frn.pdf

But what we need most is plenty of rain from now through spring. So please join us on the docks at Orchard Point tomorrow at 1:00 to appease the rain gods and make them want to fill the lake for us.

Bring lunch and sacrifices to the gods, Libations will do. Silly hats can only help our cause.

On 2/1/2021 1:05 PM, I wrote:
The Corps of Engineers is supposed to put the plug back in at Fern Ridge today. Their reservoir Web pages are down, so I can't check on them... <sigh> I suppose I could drive by and look. <g>
http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/teacup/willamette/frn.pdf
To ensure that we get enough rain this late winter and spring to fill Fern Ridge let's meet at Orchard Point Park (ignore the Coot Calendar --
parking is easier at Orchard Point) at 1:00 Saturday to offer sacrifices to the rain gods and dance naked, or in weather appropriate clothing, on the docks at the launch ramp. Be prepared for social distancing and mask wearing. Bring lunch and something to sacrifice to the gods. In the past, people have brought samples of water from adventures on far waters, but I think the gods will be happy with libations.
We didn't have a dam closing ceremony last year and look what happened!!
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. (Niels Bohr)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


elaineginader
 

Can't make it my car is dead. Suspect I need new spark plugs (sigh). I'll dance and wear a crazy hat while I empty Bells bilge  ha ha.


On Fri, Feb 5, 2021, 1:53 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
The Corps didn't put the plug all the way in on the first, but they've
kept the outflow low, and it looks like they _might_ let us have a bit
of a head start on filling the lake:

https://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/teacup/willamette/frn.pdf

But what we need most is plenty of rain from now through spring. So
please join us on the docks at Orchard Point tomorrow at 1:00 to appease
the rain gods and make them want to fill the lake for us.

Bring lunch and sacrifices to the gods, Libations will do. Silly hats
can only help our cause.


On 2/1/2021 1:05 PM, I wrote:
> The Corps of Engineers is supposed to put the plug back in at Fern Ridge
> today. Their reservoir Web pages are down, so I can't check on them...
> <sigh> I suppose I could drive by and look. <g>
>
> http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/teacup/willamette/frn.pdf
>
> To ensure that we get enough rain this late winter and spring to fill
> Fern Ridge let's meet at Orchard Point Park (ignore the Coot Calendar --
> parking is easier at Orchard Point) at 1:00 Saturday to offer sacrifices
> to the rain gods and dance naked, or in weather appropriate clothing, on
> the docks at the launch ramp. Be prepared for social distancing and mask
> wearing. Bring lunch and something to sacrifice to the gods. In the
> past, people have brought samples of water from adventures on far
> waters, but I think the gods will be happy with libations.
>
> We didn't have a dam closing ceremony last year and look what happened!!
>

--
John <jkohnen@...>
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. (Niels Bohr)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com







 

Too bad you couldn't make it, Elaine. We had a good turnout, Fern Ridge sailors and a few Coots. The ceremony went well enough, I think. Somebody who had a slip at Orchard Point last year opened the gate so we could get down on the docks and spread out. I sacrificed some Dos Equis* to some rain gods, and people poured water into the lake to prime it. Then we had a good BS session. :o) pardon the poor pictures -- people were spread out.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU8LHS7

I sure hope the ceremony worked. It'll sure feel good to have a nice long sailing season on the lake.

*The Dos Equis had been sitting at the back of my refrigerator for a couple of _decades_, at least. The aging did it good; it was delicious! :o) Does require some patience, though. <g>

On 2/5/2021 7:10 PM, elaine wrote:
Can't make it my car is dead. Suspect I need new spark plugs (sigh). I'll dance and wear a crazy hat while I empty Bells bilge  ha ha.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Adults are obsolete children, and the hell with them. (Theodore "Dr. Seuss" Geisel)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


elaineginader
 

I'm glad the day went well and hopefully the gods will be pleased. I did my dance to them while on Belle. Found some small tasks that needs to be addressed when it gets warmer and dry for a bit. I had water to do my gift to the gods. I hope they don't mind. I'm also going to be taking measurements for a couple canvas projects. Maybe I'll show the group my progress on making a few things as Almostcanada Dan does.
By the way my cars fixed with a lot of help from my husband Gary. Sure makes getting around easier.

Take care and be safe, Elaine


On Sat, Feb 6, 2021, 3:57 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Too bad you couldn't make it, Elaine. We had a good turnout, Fern Ridge
sailors and a few Coots. The ceremony went well enough, I think.
Somebody who had a slip at Orchard Point last year opened the gate so we
could get down on the docks and spread out. I sacrificed some Dos Equis*
to some rain gods, and people poured water into the lake to prime it.
Then we had a good BS session. :o) pardon the poor pictures -- people
were spread out.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU8LHS7

I sure hope the ceremony worked. It'll sure feel good to have a nice
long sailing season on the lake.

*The Dos Equis had been sitting at the back of my refrigerator for a
couple of _decades_, at least. The aging did it good; it was delicious!
:o) Does require some patience, though. <g>

On 2/5/2021 7:10 PM, elaine wrote:
> Can't make it my car is dead. Suspect I need new spark plugs (sigh).
> I'll dance and wear a crazy hat while I empty Bells bilge  ha ha.
>

--
John <jkohnen@...>
Adults are obsolete children, and the hell with them. (Theodore "Dr.
Seuss" Geisel)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com