Fern Ridge Charting, and Lunch Messabout? (was: Thanks John, great pix of the mudhole ----- Surprise Status)

Mark N in the Megalopolis has been fooling with getting satellite photos and Navionics charts using a Russian program, then turning them into maps usable by raster nav programs like OpenCPN and OziExplorer (which probably only matters to me <g>). How's that coming Mark? I hope he comes to the Spring Messabout to tell us about the project.

The small-scale Navionics screenshot I uploaded to the Coots site is just an overview. I can do some larger scale shots of portions of the lake and put them there for reference. I could even calibrate them in Ozi and turn them into raster charts... But the accuracy of Navionics bathymetric data is doubtful. If they show a channel somewhere it's probably around there. Useful. If you draw four feet and Navionics shows 5 feet somewhere, go slow, watch your depth finder, and have the push pole handy. ;o)

Thursday would be a good day for another Fern Ridge lunch messabout. The traditional Coot lunch day, and if I stay late I can watch the racers in the evening. :o)

On 5/9/2021 5:47 PM, Electri-Cal wrote:
I just added that pix to my "maps" file on my phone.  Now when I'm there I will know about where I am.  I do have some books on Oregon lakes, but that one is good color, the right size to transfer and read on my phone.  Are there other maps that show the lakes so clearly, especially at the low water we have now ??
I don't know whether it is horse sense or horse something else, but if they like it I know where there is a whole pile of it. (L. Francis Herreshoff to an editor when told that readers liked his "horse sense")

Mark Neuhaus

Hi Gang,

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 10:11 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

Mark N in the Megalopolis has been fooling with getting satellite photos
and Navionics charts using a Russian program, then turning them into
maps usable by raster nav programs like OpenCPN and OziExplorer (which
probably only matters to me <g>). How's that coming Mark? I hope he
comes to the Spring Messabout to tell us about the project.

The program that John is referring to is called SAS.Planet and is windows only.  It allows one to download map tiles at various zoom levels from many, many sources on the web and save them to a cache on your hard drive.   That means you can essentially have Google maps, Google satellite views, and Navionic charts onboard and in use even when not connected to the internet.  Those are the three I am playing with.  Oh, I guess I've downloaded some C-map imagery also.

The program lets you export user-selected polygons of stitched map tiles into an image file, such as JPG, which can be viewed in various graphics programs.  Because it also saves a .kml file of the image coordinates, one can run that info through a separate program called "imgkap" and end up with a geo-registered KAP file, ready for using in OpenCPN.

SAS.Planet can also be used as a chartplotter.  I've connected my handheld Garmin GPSmap78 to my laptop through a USB cable, and tracked my movements in real time, while recording that data to a file.  You can add waypoints as you go.  If Dan had this running on his visit to Gibson Island, we would all know where he was when that picture of him was taken.  :-)

I've also connected an Android device to a laptop using Bluetooth and sent the Android's GPS info over to SAS.Planet and OpenCPN.

Speaking of Android devices, there are a couple of apps that I have used for mapping.  "Backcountry Navigator" and "US Topo Maps Free" both download map tiles similar to SAS.Planet and allow you to view them offline.  You can track yourself on the map and record that track to the device.

Now that I think about it, this sounds like what I would have talked about at our cancelled electronics workshop last year.  :-)

Yes, John, I am hoping to come down to Fern Ridge.  I am staying away from any chainsaws I hear in my neighborhood, so as not to be tempted to scrounge new woodturning stock and screw up my back again.  If I can finish slopping the paint on MoonlitTurtle, I may come overnight.  Otherwise, I will try for Saturday.

Mark

Josh

May be able to make Fernridge on Thursday, what time? Richardson? Got a new tenkara rod to try at the pond.

I'll be out there by 11ish Thursday. Cal will undoubtedly show up earlier, and Earl is spending Wednesday night on his boat.

On 5/10/2021 11:55 PM, Josh wrote:
May be able to make Fernridge on Thursday, what time? Richardson? Got a new tenkara rod to try at the pond.
Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing. (Henry David Thoreau)

Hummm,  Thursday might work for me also, John.  A good idea, if I can get the new control panel finished in time, and the wires hooked back up.  Last coat goes on today, 3 base coats and top coated.  The new varnish goes on easy, and recoats in about 2 hours, water based so no smell, and sets up fast.

Wires got spread in a fan for easy id., then left hooked to the instruments to pop back in the refitted holes on the new panel, easier to do that way.  Better mid fender cleats, simpler deck ball mount,  doing stuff as usual.  Still considering sail setup.  I could do a lateen as easy as not by turning a jib long edge to the bow, luff on the boom, just one base mast to hang it on, maybe off center for easy mounting, or just remove hatches to sail.

My lapstrake sailboat sail had a spritsail, to the vertical stub mast, a lateener would just be a different version of that, forward angled mast.  Stepped on the floorboards, angled forward like the photo, whip the sail to the sprit mast, an eye in the bow and "Bobs Your Uncle !!", a done deal except for running lines.  I have everything to make that happen on hand.  Use that jib you had at your place ought to do for a trial, maybe a leaboard on the port side if it needs it, but I do have a loong straight water line, might be enough in light air.

Hot dog, summers here etc. ----  cal

Just thinking !!!  -----  Cal

Electri-Cal

Hey Mark, long time no hear from.  Looks like we will have a great day down here, nice weather and all.  Probably not possible, but it would be a real big deal to have a map that shows approx. lake bottoms.  Not just the depth, but where the danger spots are located.  I've bent props, and wandered into stumpy areas too many times fir it to be fun.  Yeah a depth finder shows whats below, but a wider area to avoid would be a better heads up when planning exploring lakes,

Having said that, when I have a bit more coffee this morning, I will start looking at stuff I may have here, might have an answer right under my nose.  See you later, ----   Cal

Josh

Saw a boat I assume was Cal's but didn't manage a picture.

Electri-Cal

Whoops, sorry Josh.  I don't know what car you drive, and I was watching for Charlies Prius, as possible.  I like to get out early,  10 to 11 is late for me -- before the wind picks up usually.  I do a launch and load pretty fast, as I like to be home when my wife gets off, and cocktail hour approaches.  Plenty of battery left over, but 4 to 5 hours is about all I need for a familiar lake like Fern Ridge.  I like lookout better, but not sure what the water level is, and that's a narrow 100 ft.  deep valley.  Time to visit and check it out, before summer run down, pretty variable.

I haven't fished the local puddle because the hatchery fires this year probably damaged that whole program, but need to look that up.  The bottom is table flat at about 12 feet now., might be a bit warm except up in the far channels which aren't as safe as at higher water levels. The lake is over 4 ft. low for this time of year, so it's a questionable fishing effort.  Coastal or the high lakes might be better right now, if further out.

Have a great week end a comin' along, maybe we can do this again next week.  Weather rules,   Later,  Cal

Josh

We didn't see much going on so we pulled over to the swimming side and grabbed a table under the trees to watch the come and go.
Caught a mess of bluegill on the tenkara rod at Kirk park. Bluegill are one of the reasons we moved down here.
Josh

It was good to see you and Surprise on the lake yesterday.

The Navionics lake charts give a decent idea of where the shallow spots are in Fern Ridge. I poked around a bit yesterday in the Amazon arm, intil Earl said it was nap time, and found that the depths were a bit off, but the channel was about where they said it would be. Navionics charts are one of the thinks Mark is working on making available for raster nav programs like OpenCPN and OziExplorer.

When you do a search for OpenCPN in the Google app store the first thing that comes up is a free app. Don't do it! That's an older version with some glitches. Get the version 5.0 provided by Dave Register. He charges a small one-time fee, but it's well worth it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.opencpn.opencpn

Navionics is a subscription program. I much prefer raster nav programs, but there are things to like about Navionics, like the inland lakes and river charts:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.navionics.singleAppMarineLakesHD

On 5/13/2021 6:26 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Probably not possible, but it would be a real big deal to have a map that shows approx. lake bottoms.  Not just the depth, but where the danger spots are located.  I've bent props, and wandered into stumpy areas too many times fir it to be fun.  Yeah a depth finder shows whats below, but a wider area to avoid would be a better heads up when planning exploring lakes,
Great men are seldom over-scrupulous in the arrangement of their attire. (Charles Dickens)