Enterprise race sailing dinghy

elaineginader

Hi all,

I'm in need of selling my Enterprise and wanted to see if any Coot would be interested. She was made be Sears back in 1969 and fully restored by Michael Bogoger. I did maintenance to her about 3 years ago put oar mounts and had her in the Toledo Show a couple of times. Her tags don't expire till December on 2022.

I like her but she's not the boat for me. Here's some pictures asking $600.00 and she comes with her trailer and never had a motor.

Thanks,
Elaine

Larimar is a sporty little boat, not as fast as some of the newer designs, but fun for somebody younger and nimbler. I suppose she's a TR-3 compared to a modern Porsche. I think a TR-3 is more fun than a fancy new Porsche, even if the German wonder would leave it in the dust. :o) So maybe the comparison doesn't hold water... <g> The modern go-fast small boats do look like fun for athletic youngsters.

https://flic.kr/p/2kXC9GJ

On 11/21/2021 9:44 AM, Elaine wrote:
Hi all,
I'm in need of selling my Enterprise and wanted to see if any Coot would be interested. She was made be Sears back in 1969 and fully restored by Michael Bogoger. I did maintenance to her about 3 years ago put oar mounts and had her in the Toledo Show a couple of times. Her tags don't expire till December on 2022.
I like her but she's not the boat for me. Here's some pictures asking $600.00 and she comes with her trailer and never had a motor.

We must learn to honor excellence in every socially accepted human activity, however humble the activity, and to scorn shoddiness, however exalted the activity. An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable than an incompetent philosopher. The society that scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water. (John W. Gardner)

Jove Lachman-Curl

Hi Elaine,
I probably don't need another boat, but I am still interested, and curious about the enterprise.
Can you tell me more about what you're impressions of it are?
From what I've read it is a fairly racey design, but not as highly strung as modern boats in a similar weight class.
It is a bit smaller and lighter than other 2 person race dinghies. And it has quite a lot of sail area.
You said it is not the boat for you? Why is that, does it have a low swinging boom, or otherwise uncomfortable to sail. I am 34, and many of the people I sail with are nimble enough and this boat sounds fun, But I am interested in what makes it not work for you.
Thanks,
-Jove

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 3:03 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Larimar is a sporty little boat, not as fast as some of the newer
designs, but fun for somebody younger and nimbler. I suppose she's a
TR-3 compared to a modern Porsche. I think a TR-3 is more fun than a
fancy new Porsche, even if the German wonder would leave it in the dust.
:o) So maybe the comparison doesn't hold water... <g> The modern go-fast
small boats do look like fun for athletic youngsters.

https://flic.kr/p/2kXC9GJ

On 11/21/2021 9:44 AM, Elaine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in need of selling my Enterprise and wanted to see if any Coot would
> be interested. She was made be Sears back in 1969 and fully restored by
> Michael Bogoger. I did maintenance to her about 3 years ago put oar
> mounts and had her in the Toledo Show a couple of times. Her tags don't
> expire till December on 2022.
>
> I like her but she's not the boat for me. Here's some pictures asking
> $600.00 and she comes with her trailer and never had a motor.

We must learn to honor excellence in every socially accepted human
activity, however humble the activity, and to scorn shoddiness, however
exalted the activity. An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable
than an incompetent philosopher. The society that scorns excellence in
plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness
in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good
plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will
hold water. (John W. Gardner)

elaineginader

Hi Jove,

Well to start with is I'm 65 almost 66 and I'm not a racer. I want to cruise and the challenges are enough. I thought I'd be able to do that but you have to be on your toes and able to shift from side when you jibe. The boom has plenty of head room and putting the sailes in the hollow mast is easy also. I don't move as quickly as needed and felt uneasy in sailing her. There's a main sail and jib so you need to be ready when the boat wants to. The rudder is detached and a line that needs to be fastened to keep it in place.
I'm glad you're interested and she needs to go to someone who would let her fly.

Elaine

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021, 5:56 PM Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:
Hi Elaine,
I probably don't need another boat, but I am still interested, and curious about the enterprise.
Can you tell me more about what you're impressions of it are?
From what I've read it is a fairly racey design, but not as highly strung as modern boats in a similar weight class.
It is a bit smaller and lighter than other 2 person race dinghies. And it has quite a lot of sail area.
You said it is not the boat for you? Why is that, does it have a low swinging boom, or otherwise uncomfortable to sail. I am 34, and many of the people I sail with are nimble enough and this boat sounds fun, But I am interested in what makes it not work for you.
Thanks,
-Jove

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 3:03 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Larimar is a sporty little boat, not as fast as some of the newer
designs, but fun for somebody younger and nimbler. I suppose she's a
TR-3 compared to a modern Porsche. I think a TR-3 is more fun than a
fancy new Porsche, even if the German wonder would leave it in the dust.
:o) So maybe the comparison doesn't hold water... <g> The modern go-fast
small boats do look like fun for athletic youngsters.

https://flic.kr/p/2kXC9GJ

On 11/21/2021 9:44 AM, Elaine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in need of selling my Enterprise and wanted to see if any Coot would
> be interested. She was made be Sears back in 1969 and fully restored by
> Michael Bogoger. I did maintenance to her about 3 years ago put oar
> mounts and had her in the Toledo Show a couple of times. Her tags don't
> expire till December on 2022.
>
> I like her but she's not the boat for me. Here's some pictures asking
> $600.00 and she comes with her trailer and never had a motor.

We must learn to honor excellence in every socially accepted human
activity, however humble the activity, and to scorn shoddiness, however
exalted the activity. An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable
than an incompetent philosopher. The society that scorns excellence in
plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness
in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good
plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will
hold water. (John W. Gardner)

Doug Alvey

Elaine,
  A nice couple paragraphs about your boat.  I hope you find a “cruiser” that you can handle and move around in; perhaps a Montgomery.  I recommend that as a 67 year old with a West Wight Potter 15.  Shortening Sail must be simple at our age (and should be on racers too).
  Anyhow, I enjoy your writing style and hope to see more.  Some magazines are publishing “Why this boat didn’t fit” articles.  Just sayin’.

Douglas G. Alvey
Salem, OR

Jove Lachman-Curl

The deal is done,
I went and bought Elaine's Enterprise yesterday. Very happy and looking forward to some spring sailing. I've never owned a sailing dinghy, Or a wood boat with wood spars,
 but I've done some sailing in thistles, and I leant on a 15ft dinghy on Siltcoos back when I was 13 or so. "Hook'em while they're young"
-Jove

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 6:10 PM elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:
[...]

From what I've read it is a fairly racey design, but not as highly strung as modern boats in a similar weight class.
It is a bit smaller and lighter than other 2 person race dinghies. And it has quite a lot of sail area.
You said it is not the boat for you? Why is that, does it have a low swinging boom, or otherwise uncomfortable to sail. I am 34, and many of the people I sail with are nimble enough and this boat sounds fun, But I am interested in what makes it not work for you.
Thanks,
-Jove

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 3:03 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Larimar is a sporty little boat, not as fast as some of the newer
designs, but fun for somebody younger and nimbler. I suppose she's a
TR-3 compared to a modern Porsche. I think a TR-3 is more fun than a
fancy new Porsche, even if the German wonder would leave it in the dust.
:o) So maybe the comparison doesn't hold water... <g> The modern go-fast
small boats do look like fun for athletic youngsters.

https://flic.kr/p/2kXC9GJ

On 11/21/2021 9:44 AM, Elaine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in need of selling my Enterprise and wanted to see if any Coot would
> be interested. She was made be Sears back in 1969 and fully restored by
> Michael Bogoger. I did maintenance to her about 3 years ago put oar
> mounts and had her in the Toledo Show a couple of times. Her tags don't
> expire till December on 2022.
>
> I like her but she's not the boat for me. Here's some pictures asking
> $600.00 and she comes with her trailer and never had a motor.

We must learn to honor excellence in every socially accepted human
activity, however humble the activity, and to scorn shoddiness, however
exalted the activity. An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable
than an incompetent philosopher. The society that scorns excellence in
plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness
in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good
plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will
hold water. (John W. Gardner)

Good for you, Jove! That sprightly little Enterprise will be just the ticket for a youngster like you. ;o)

Now we've got to find a home for Jim Reim's GP 14...

On 1/24/2022 12:40 PM, Jove wrote:
The deal is done,
I went and bought Elaine's Enterprise yesterday. Very happy and looking forward to some spring sailing. I've never owned a sailing dinghy, Or a wood boat with wood spars,
 but I've done some sailing in thistles, and I leant on a 15ft dinghy on Siltcoos back when I was 13 or so. "Hook'em while they're young"
A man who limits his interests limits his life. (Vincent Price)