Topics

Dories

60-70 horsepower, that's a hotrod! I can remember when 35 hp. on a 16' boat
seemed to be plenty enough to do what people wanted to do, whether it was
skiing or racing across the lake. <sigh> I figure 25 on my Crestliner will
make it enough of a speedboat for me. I hate the idea of putting a diry old
2 stroke on it, but it's silly to spend big bucks on a new 4-stroke for an
old beater of a boat. I've thought about going with a new (or nearly)
2-stroke, at least they burn less oil. GI Joe's has a good price on a
Nissan 25 horse, but the one they have in the store is a long shaft. I
asked them to check on the availability of a short shaft, but they never
called me back. :o( After buying the old van I don't feel like spending so
much money right now anyway.

Scott's Swampscott dory is built to plans from Ian Oughtred! It's a
beautiful boat, but it seems a bit odd buying plans for such a distinctly
American boat from across the pond. Gardner collected and published a bunch
of nice dory (and dory-like) plans. An 18' Marblehead gunning dory lives on
Royal Avenue just off Highway 99, on the left. A fellow named Alexi built
it years ago (had its maiden voyage in Depoe Bay) and took it to Alaska
where he used it for sport fishing and general messing about. It looks
pretty well-used now. Alexi is a proper boat nut. While we were talking his
significant other came out to see what was up, he said "we're talking
boats" and she rolled her eyes knowingly and retreated. She'd seen that
plenty before! He's got an old BC Ferry lifeboat in the back yard that he's
going to fix up "one of these days".

On Wed, 30 May 2001 13:06:28 -0700, Bryn Thoms wrote:
Yes the runabout is outboard powered, I beleive the old add for the cruiser
has a 60 hp or maybe 70,
I got the urge
to look for a nice sailing dory plan from the Gradner book after I saw those
photos. Scott's got a nice looking boat, well they are all nice. The
swampsoctt or Gunning, or possibly the Alpha beach comer is on my list of
future boats.
http://www.boat-links.com/
Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.
<Henry David Thoreau>