Topics

Difficult decision

Electri-Cal

Finally got more barn wood gone, saved enough for small projects I might have, but hard to do.  Just made a small bracket from some, nice old growth, I can't even count the growth rings over 100 to the inch, unbelievable perfect grain 12 foot long and straight under the rough black outer coating.  I was surprised that  it cut like butter, dried for 50 years estimated total, always stored high and dry in my barn.  The hard part was knowing it will be used for garden borders in a guys backyard tomato bed.  Strange stuff, i've never seen that fine a grain in so light a wood, maybe like antique cedar, yellow OG hemlock, but not sure.  I might bring a sample sometime, peeled down for show and figure out what it was..

I sure tried to get coots to take it, but the black rough sawn outer coating turned lookers off, me too -- until I cut into a random couple pieces yesterday, that I held on to for a mast or other project.  Some of the heavier species might have been fabulous timbers, probably wouldn't bend well though.  Now to get rid of a couple 8 by 12 pieces of painted straight grain from an old church beam or two.  Probably cut those into firewood, or make them into new steps to replace some steps that finally rotted out at some point, and save me some bucks.

Whoops !!  Almost forgot --  I'm just looking at a new product, another one EH!!     I'm ordering it in for testing today.  It  stops water adhesion to whatever it is applied to, by a lot !!  First  trial will be my great sweeps, one at a time to check it out..  If that works maybe on the boat bottom to reduce friction.  After testing, maybe that could add boat speed without any penalty.  No, I will do an article on this yet !!    If, and When, it Works!!    With the boat on a trailer it may take some doing, lifting and blocking to get clear -- so the oar testing comes first..  If I row in a circle, or with extra drag on one side when trading oars, THEN i'm good to share this out..

Just stuff, making goPro camera mounts, sound system install, wiring lights into Surprise,  more li'l stuff for the summer,  ----  later,   Cal

I'm pretty sure we've talked about those water-repellent coatings before. I believe the consensus opinion was that if you coat the entire surface of the hull below the waterline with the stuff, the boat will "repel" itself up out of the water and float on a film of air above the surface. Planing at rest, so to speak...

;o)

On 5/20/2020 9:20 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Whoops !!  Almost forgot --  I'm just looking at a new product, another one EH!!     I'm ordering it in for testing today.  It  stops water adhesion to whatever it is applied to, by a lot !!  First  trial will be my great sweeps, one at a time to check it out..  If that works maybe on the boat bottom to reduce friction.  After testing, maybe that could add boat speed without any penalty.  No, I will do an article on this yet !!    If, and When, it Works!!    With the boat on a trailer it may take some doing, lifting and blocking to get clear -- so the oar testing comes first..  If I row in a circle, or with extra drag on one side when trading oars, THEN i'm good to share this out..
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night. (Isaac Asimov)

cherrill boissonou

A truly water repellant coating would prevent a boat from going anywhere near water!
Earl B.

On May 20, 2020, at 2:55 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

[...]

John Weiss

FWIW, way back in the 60s, a group of Snipe racing sailors in upstate NY did a bit of a non-scientific experiment to see if waxing the hulls of their newfangled fiberglass boats would make them go even faster. General consensus was that waxing did NOT help, and may have even hurt a bit. Theory was that the "beading" of the water on the surface still occurred to some extent underwater, causing more drag. Instead they decided on a waxless polish and/or wet-sanding with 600 grit.

On 05/20/20 14:55, John Kohnen wrote:
[...]

Josh

I've seen some OG yellow cedar that was over 100 rings per inch, we called it instrument grade and used it on soundboards.

Electri-Cal

That sounds about right, a poor use for gorgeous wood, but nobody wanted to come and look at what was offered free.  I have a friend who repairs guitars, wish i,d thought about him.  Gave him a pre war 1900s small squeeze box to work on last year.

Thanks,  Cal

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.